RGX520FZ Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 01/07/2008 category: Electric Guitars
Yamaha: RGX520FZ
The RGX-520FZ upgrades to a gorgeous figured maple top on a solid mahogany body, a custom inlay at the 12th fret, and beautiful translucent finishes.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.7
 Features: 9.3
 9.6
 8.4
reviews (3) 13 comments vote for this gear:
RGX520FZ Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2005

Features: This is a brand new model (2005), and I must say Yamaha has taken a step in the right direction with this amazing guitar. It has a 22 fret Rosewood fingerboard (I dunno what size it is but it feels amazing, I have relatively small hands), a flamed maple top/mahogany body, and a mahogany neck. It uses a Yamaha AES bridge, and dual Yamaha humbuckers, both of which sound absolutely incredible (flawless sound). It has a dual cutaway body, and hitting the top frets is no problem with this thing. The Switch is 3-ways (overall its a pretty simple setup), and there are 2 knobs, one for volume and one for tone. The RGX-520FZ is the flagship model of the RGX series, and uses Grover locking tuners, which kick ass. these tuners never go out of tune and dont get in the way like regular tuners, yet they are easy to use, just like regular ones. There were no accessories included with this guitar. // 9

Sound: I play a lot of rock and metal, and sometimes some clean alternative type stuff too. This is such an amazing guitar that overall, I believe it can suit any style, although it appears to be geared towards harder stuff, which is fine by me. I'm currently using an old 40 watt Samick amp (garage sale special) with dirty knobs that I'm too lazy to clean, yet this thing still sounds crystal clear, with no feedback whatsoever. The sound is perfect, you can definitely tell how beautiful this thing is when you play it unplugged. Rich, full and brite all at the same time, and the entire guitar is so responsive. I think you could do anything with this guitar, whether you're a beginner, or advanced. I'm using it with a Zoom GFX5, and it's a dream to play. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar came with perfect action, enough said. the pickups were flawless, and everything was set up incredibly well. The guitar itself is flaweless. I have 3 electrics (the other 2 are an Ibanez GAX70 and one of the new re-released BC Rich Bich models for 2005, special edition with the warlock type headstock and the Baritone pinstripe), but this thing holds the spot in my heart as my baby. It's perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would definitely withstand live playing. The hardware is still as perfect as the day I bought it, which was quite a few weeks ago, the strap buttons are not only solid, they feel rigid and powerful! I don't know if I'd use it on a gig without a backup, because I've recently had some strings go on it (maybe I need heavier strings, I play pretty hard, I don't think it's the way the bridge is set up it feels too perfect), because it would be pretty dumb to play anything without backup. If I had to trust 1 of my 3 guitars, I'd trust this one, I'll leave it at that. The finish is well, like the rest of the guitar, perfect! There's no pickguard on this thing, and I'm a maniac on the bottom half of my guitars, yet it seems to withstand without a problem. // 8

Overall Impression: I play metal and rock, and sometimes I fool around with clean and delay, as well as phaser and chorus, and this thing suits all of them perfectly. I've been playing for about 2 years, although I'm so passionate about it I've been playing every day a couple hours a day, and I have a musical ear, so you could say 4-5. If this guitar was stolen, I'd murder the person that took it, no matter who that was, but I'd make them suffer first. I would defintely buy this again, although I'm attatched to the exact one I have (you know how it is). I love everything about this guitar. there is nothing to hate about it. My favorite feature has got to be the guitar itself. No questions there. Ironically enough, I didn't compare it to anything else. I was still playing Squier Stratocaster at the time, enough said huh? // 10

RGX520FZ Reviewed by: HeliuM, on january 07, 2008

Purchased from: Second hand

Features: It doesn't say on the guitar when or where it was made, from other reviews I read that it was made in either Korea or China an Yamaha started making these in 2005. It is a 22 fret guitar with a 25 1/2" scale. The body is mahogany with a maple top. The neck is also made out of mahogany and has a rosewood fretboard with a custom inlay at the 12th fret. The body shape is very similar to my Strat, but weighs quite a bit more. The neck is quite thick, not as thick as an SG or LP neck, but much thicker than a Strat neck. It comes with a fixed bridge and string through body, neck is set, very nice sustain. It comes with two passive humbuckers, 3 way selector, master volume and master tone control. All controls are placed conveniently under the bridge. The tuners are grover barrel tuners, the took about 10 minutes getting used to, some people complain on these as you can't use string winders on them. They do their job well, the guitar stays in tune for ages. // 9

Sound: This guitar was made for rock and metal types of music. Under high gain the bridge pickup remains bright and articulate, the neck pickup becomes a bit muddier. It resonates nicely all through the body and neck and has a very long sustain. I'm using this with a Peavey Valveking Royal 8, Zoom G1X, Boss CH-1(Chorus) and Boss HM-3 (Hyper Metal). The guitar is virtually hum free, and creates no noise when switching pickups. It is meant for distorted tones and does the best, but it has nice cleans as well, works wonderful for anything from blues to metal. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It got this second hand so I don't know how it was out of the box. The action was fine the way I got it, but the intonation was slightly off. The pickup height was fine on the bridge, but I raised the neck pickup a bit. I haven't found any flaws in the finish, frets are nicely cut and sanded, top is well matched, and the neck is smooth. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems to be build to last. The tuners are grovers, the other hardware was made by Yamaha but looks and feels very sturdy. The strap buttons are very tight and secure, but I use straplocks none the less. The glossy finish is prone to grease though, but those are easily wiped of. // 10

Overall Impression: I mostly play classic rock but also some peppers stuff as well as heavier things like Pantera and Metallica. It lacks a bit in clean sound (maybe because I'm used to a Strat) but it more than makes up for that with its kickass distorted tone. I also own a fully customized Squier Strat and a Johnson acoustic. In combination with my Peavey Valveking Royal and pedals this guitar is very versatile and easily one of the best I've played. It is very similar in features and sound to much more expensive guitars like the Schecter C1 and Epiphone LP. I'm glad I discovered this guitar, for the price of J225 I doubt you can find any guitar with these specs that sounds this good. If it were stolen or lost, I'd do my best to get another one as soon as I could, this thing is worth it! A coil tap would've been nice to get better single coil sounding cleans, I might get that installed at some point, but for now this guitar seems perfect. // 10

RGX520FZ Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 20, 2007

Features: I actually bought this guitar in rands which was about 3500 which was very cheap(I know ome people)lol. This guitar has 22 frets and a fairlt small body which is perfect for stage performance, the neck especially. Before I played on a Epiphone SG Special which had a fat neck but it didn't take too long to get the hang of it. The Grover tuners on this guitar kick ass, they don't go out and they look rad with the guitar. It has an AES chrome bridge, 2 knobs, one volume and one tone so it is fairly simple, the pick-up select is also basic, it has three switches. // 10

Sound: I am currently running it through a Crate GLX212, with a Boss Gt8 Pedal.I have to say it sounds amazing.I play mainly heavier sttuff although I'm in a punk band, this guitar plays both well and has amazing clean tones. It has a very rich sounds which is perfect for soloing. I have owned an Epiphone SG, a Bullet Squire and a Chaser Pro and this is by miles the best thing I have ever played. Even comparing it to my friends Strat it sounds better. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar is a dream set up. The pick ups are well adjusted for maximum variety. The bridge is solid as are the strap bolts, although I managed to mess mine up while experimenting. This guitar comes in black or red, I have the red and it is beautiful, I don't think it is possible to scratch this thing because of the way it is finished. The neck is very fast which takes a bit of getting used too but it worth it, I have had this guitar for 3 months and without exageration my speed has doubled. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very compact but it is solid, I believe it is very trustworthy, as of yet I havn't broken any strings. As I mentioned before I messed up my Strap bolts but that was my fault. I have only played one gig with it but I would definetly rely on it without a backup. The finish will not scratch I mainly play with a solid silver pick and it is still fine. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar suits me in every way, I have been playing for 3 years and this is the nicest guitar I have ever played, at the same time I bought this I was being offered a Paul Reed Smith very cheaply and I chose this, that says something. If it were ever stolen I would definetly buy this again. Yamaha have really out done themselves. My favourite feature despite the kickass sound is the look, it is beautiful. The only thing I wish it had was more pearl inlay on the fret-board but the current design is awesome. This is one amazing guitar. // 10

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ RBX270L 8.6 Bass Guitars 04/09/2014