RGX620DZ Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 02/24/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Yamaha: RGX620DZ
The RGX620DZ sports a beautiful maple cap on top of its solid alder body and with luxurious appointments such as the translucent pickup rings and the barrel tuners, this Ty Tabor profile solid body will attract a lot of attention.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5
 9.3
 8.7
reviews (2) 6 comments vote for this gear:
RGX620DZ Reviewed by: vanhalenrule, on june 16, 2006

Purchased from: PMT music

Features: This 2005, Japan made guitar has 24 frets, mahogany neck and body, a floyd rose with locking nut and 3 way selector, all on a metally super-Strat body. Came with Yamaha hard case. The neck quality is amazing, and makes fast playing seem so much easier. The charcoal grey/green finish looks astonishing and of a really high quality. // 10

Sound: Currently running through a Marshall MG15DFX Combo, and it sounds fantastic, even through a practice amp! The level of gain is astonishing and gives a thick, Trivium-esque sound, perfect for metal and thrash. However, it also plays blues, jazz and funk strangely well. It really has great variety sound wise, and the bridge pickup gives a fantastic sound. The floyd rose is the icing on the cake, perfectly fitted and easy to use. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is perfect for me and everyone Who has played my guitar. The pickups were fitted perfectly and there were no visible flaws on the finish whatsoever. The only tiny problem is the size of the upper frets (19 and onwards) which is quite small. Takes getting used to, but is definitly worth it for a guitar like this. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Although I have not yet played it live, I am certain this guitar would withstand any gig situation. I have knocked it over several times, to no negative effect on the guitars structure, sound or playability. I would play it live without a backup (although quite an unwise move normally) as this guitar is structually sound. // 10

Overall Impression: For a mixed style of playing (mainly rock orientated) this guitar is perfect. If this guitar said Ibanez or Jackson on the headstock, it would be 900+, and is proof that you should never buy guitars based on the brand, but on the quality, which this guitar definitly has. If stolen, I would probably have to buy it again, its hard to live without playing it! I was considering a range of guitars as I was playing on a really 'beginner' guitar, and made the right choice. The floyd rose is truly superb. A cracking buy, definitly worth the price. // 10

RGX620DZ Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 24, 2011

Features: Made in 2007 in Indonesia. 24 jumbo frets, 25/12 scale, Ebony fingerboard, all on a alder superstrat body with a maple cap. Floyd Rose style bridge, with a finger clamp system instead of the bolts on your typical FR, which is very convenient. 2 Alnico V humbuckers, 1 volume, 1 tone, 3 way Switch with barrell tuners. Came with a cable and a couple of allen keys. // 8

Sound: I mainly play 80's hard rock (Van Halen, Motley Crue, Racer X) and Metal (Megadeth, Metallica, Priest) but anything from the 60's onwards, and it's pretty versatile. The only thing I think it could do with is a coil tap. I play this through a Marshall MG50FX and Ibanez Tube King (The one with the 12AX7, so all you Solid-state haters, don't even start.) // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this used, so I can't really say on how it came from the factory, but the guy I bought it off had the action a bit too high for my liking, which was obviously easily fixed. The finish is pretty durable and looks beautiful! Not a flaw at all apart from the action. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played this guitar live yet, but in band practice it held up pretty well with some bashing of the whammy bar. The hardware and finish seem durable, and the strap buttons are solid. I've had this for about 2 months, so I'll get back to you with any problems. I wouldn't gig this guitar without a backup, 1) because I'm not an idiot and 2) if you snap a string the Bridge pulls back and goes madly out of tune, although the strings are way easier to change than the normal FR. // 10

Overall Impression: My music style is pretty diverse, pretty much anything from the 60's onwards, and this guitar suits most of them. I only wish it had a coil tap and maybe a single coil in the middle. (4th posistion for the win!) If this were stolen, I would probably go for an Ibanez RG of some sort, because these are discontinued and pretty hard to find. In saying that, if I came across a used one, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I have been playing for 2 1/2 years and I have owned a few homebuilt strats and an Epiphone SG, and a Marshalll MG50FX and an Ibanez Tube King. I compared this to an Ibanez RG350EX and the only thing that made me chose the Yamaha over the RG was the pickups and the cheaper price. My favourite feature is definately the Bridge system, very innovative! // 8

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ FG730S 9 Acoustic Guitars 07/11/2014