RGXA2 Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 04/19/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Yamaha: RGXA2
The all new RGX-A2 electric guitar is a marvel of modern technology. The proprietary A.I.R. (Alternative Internal Resonance) construction body, LED lit cylindrical diecast knobs, lightweight barrel tuners, and Yamaha Alnico soapbar pickups make this a high tech masterpiece that is not only stunningly beautiful, but tonally revolutionary.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.7
 Features: 8.7
 8.8
 9.1
 8.5
reviews (3) pictures (2) 65 comments vote for this gear:
RGXA2 Reviewed by: CryoCarnage, on august 25, 2006

Purchased from: Strings attached

Features: This is a Brand New off the factory line model by Yamaha. It is made in Taiwan and sold worldwide. It has 22 close-grained thin frets, which are brown rosewood. It is a solid top guitar. The body is of a Fender Strat esque shape but much smoother then the now classic Strat. The maple neck is slim and very controllable when playing, as well is very fast so speed playing can be ocmpleted easily just like on a common Ibanez. there is a gloss lacquer that makes the guitar have a smooth feel under the hand. The body however has somethign that no other guitar has; Alternative Internal Resonance body. This is made by putting a light weight wood between two denser woods. It also has holes called air tubes which pass vibrations evenly throughout the guitar. The bridge is new too. It is as thin as maybe 5 thick picks stacked. the strings go over a groove in the front end and dive through the body through a slot. Each single string has two adjustable screws accessed through holes in the top. There is also an adjustment screw in the rear that slides the whole bridge backwards and forwards for adjustment. Also the grey bridge makes the guitars whole look amazing. THere are active and passive electronics (well technically ecause the lights are active). You get 1 tone and 1 volume selector with 2 circle knobs. When you change the tone, you also change the colour of leds inside the guitar. There are two Alnico humbuckers that sit in white soapbar housings. Also for the tuners, Instead of flat knobs, these tuners have cylinders that you twist. THey are of yamahas owns factory and are non locking (for people like me, I can't stand lockign ones) Ther is nothignincluided from Yamaha but when you buy at stores, hwo knows what they will give you. when I purchased mine, I walked in for 2 seconds told the guy I'm buyibng that guitar and pointed at it. He said no one bought a guitar so fast so he threw in for me a hard case:D. Only minus is no whammy bar, but I have a pedal anyway. // 9

Sound: I play everything and this guitar can too. Running on clean It has amazing, and I mean amazing bassy response. This also dominated the sound when both pickups were engaged together. The bridge pickup alone has such a clean tone that if it was a woman, could make love to it all day long. On Overdrive, the bridge pickup gives great gritty top-end, made for any kind of hard rock. The neck pickup transferred it's mellowness to Darkness. Heavy brooding metal rhythms came surprisingly easy from this unassuming little guitar. The sustain is noticeably impressive with a gorgeous hint of underlying harmonic feedback appearing in the middle of the note's decay. On a 76 set of Marshall stacks, this thing rips soo amazingly. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: There is great finish throughout. Actions is not too huigh, but Who cares, if you want a flashy overpriced guitar get a Gibson. Pickups were adjusted sooo awesomely as well. No flaws whatsoever and the bridge is soo well routed that it makes you feel like you have gods hands while playing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think it will sustand anything actusally. My old Yamaha pacifica was in similar shape and lasted everything. Strap buttons are solid and the hardware with its finish will last for sure. I would say this is reliable, just liek a toyota. no need for backups as this owns. // 10

Overall Impression: The RGX A2 is a quirky little guitar with many unique features. Visually there is '80s styloing present and it is overall a head Turner. Oh and if you say the leds are "homo" then just take the battery out, the selector is easy to use without it. Most of all I liked the sound and features of the Alternative Internal Resonance (or AIR for short, yes that was quite a corny thign by Yamaha). Hopefully this is the start of a new trend in light-in-weight high-in-sustain guitars. // 10

RGXA2 Reviewed by: Blash, on july 20, 2006

Purchased from: GuitarCenter

Features: This awesome axe was made in Japan in 2006 by Yamaha. It has 22-frets on a rosewood fretboard, and a bolt-on maple neck. The white/aircraft-grey Strat-styled body is made of, hah, A.I.R. (Alternative Internal Resonance). It comes with 2 Yamaha Alcino soapbar humbuckers, with LED lit cylindrical die-cast knobs (left one is the volume and right is a 3-way selector knob). The volume knobs lit when you change the position on the selector knob (green=neck, blue=bridge, and green+blue=both). It also has lightweight barrel tuners that provide low-geared Precision tuning. // 10

Sound: I think this guitars perfect for blues/metal/rock guitarists. I'm a blues gutiarist, and I think the sounds 100% perfect for me. The tones so clean, it's not even funny. Theres not a spec of noise, and its gotta rich tone to it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Well, when I purchsed this, the whole thing was screwed up and for some reason I didn't notice it at the store. The action needed to be lowered, alot. There was so much buzzing you couldn't hear a thing (the first fret was the worst). It needed to be filed and sanded too. But now it's perfect, the actions great, so a 7s good. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I think thiss perfect for gigs and stuff. The hardware'll last, I'm sure of it. Of course I'd still have backup just incase, but I have alot of trust in this. The strap buttons are perfect my strap stayed on it for months without falling off or anything at all, they're perfect. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said earlier, I play mostly blues. The sound's perfect for that kinda stuff, it's gotta really sharp tone. I fell in love with it the first time I've played it. The only thing I'm upset about is how it doesn't have any markets, but no big deal at all. I'd love to see a whammy bar on this thing but oh well, you know? Really though, thiss' most likely the best guitar I've ever seen in my life, I recommend it to everyone. Trust me, you won't regret it if you ever got it. // 10

RGXA2 Reviewed by: Andy949494, on april 19, 2013

Purchased from: eBay

Features: The Yamaha RGXA2 is a very light stat style bodied guitar with two P90 sized humbuckers (it is difficult to change them for regular Humbuckers), a fixed bridge, a three way switch, volume knob and some LEDs to show the audience which pickups are engaged. Unlike most Yamaha Strat copies the tuners are arranged 3 in line more like a Gibson than a Fender. There are other reviews that state what woods this is actually made from but the reality is that the guitar feels like it is made out of Precision plastic (In a good way if you pickup a Guitar hero controller and feel how liberating it is this Guitar is like that). The fixed bridge is very comfortable to rest your hand ob (if you pick like me) but needs very small allen keys to adjust. It is an expensive guitar new and that quality and tone is obvious. // 7

Sound: Its a twin hum-bucker rock machine without a tone control so you wouldn't expect too much range but there is a little more than you might expect - the stock pickups are pretty good and were chosen to give different tones (unlike many cheaper guitars which each setting sounds the same). It has quite a deep voice for such a lightweight guitar too. Overall the sound is pretty good for rock/blues etc and has a nice clean voice too but it is not so good for country. I find the noise suppression seems pretty good. Certainly it doesn't pickup my watch like many guitars do even on relatively high gain rock tones (My Pacifica 112 does even on the humbucker). // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought mine second hand and it was in fairly good condition. As almost all of these it has a few minor dinks on the front and edges (because the wood used is fairly soft) but worked perfectly electrically - there are a few out there with non working LEDS etc. It had just been restrung but needed a bit of tidying. I would say that the bridge middle strings are perhaps a little high (difficult to adjust without buying a special set of allen keys). The finish and quality of the guitar is absolutely gorgeous - The neck, tuners, bridge etc are all really nicely made and it does feel like a 400 guitar (albeit a weird Ultra light one). // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is beautifully made and has real premium hardware. They are designed for use live and will withstand that perfectly okay (really nice tuners, bridge etc so I think it will stay in tune even if you are extra rough). However when not performing it will need to be cared for - its body is very soft and dinks easily. Mine came with a soft gig bag and to be honest it really needs a hard one to keep it safe in the back of a van or on the stage before you go on. It is also the first guitar I have bought strap locks for. // 7

Overall Impression: Its a lovely guitar, very playable and great when playing standing up (or sitting down unlike Vs etc). I believe that Yamaha had gigging in mind when they designed it and have made it look slightly different. I like the white colour and the LEDS and the big barrelled tuners or the way the lead sticks out of the back like a rocket. The design features with this Guitar are there but are more subtle than a V, Explorer etc. It feels very high quality when I pick it up and I tend to continue to play it all night when I take it out of its gig bag. Its great fun. One of the negative things is that you have to pull the lead out when not using it otherwise the battery driving the LEDs goes flat so I don't tend to leave it ready on a Guitar stand unlike many other Guitars... I don't play very well but have had a number of Guitars (Squier Strat, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Pacifica 112, Steinberger GT-Pro, Schecter Blackhawk). It is lighter than all of them (except maybe the Steinberger) and less than half the weight of the Schecter (and much lighter than the Mustang sized Ibanez OMRL1 I tried). It is quite a bit lighter than the others but the Gibson isn't as heavy as I would have expected in comparison... The RGX is a lot less noisy than the 112 even when using the Humbucker and overall feels very close to the Gibson in quality (and fairly similar in tone). I would possibly prefer a Guitar with a Tone control and a JB Humbucker (which is much brighter) but its tones are very usable and its a nice guitar. // 9

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ FG730S 9 Acoustic Guitars 07/11/2014