RGZ312 Review

8.6
review (1) 11 comments vote for this gear:
RGZ312 Reviewed by: sean1784, on june 08, 2010

Purchased from: Johhny Roadhouse Music

Features: The guitar is a Yamaha RGZ-312, now I haven't been able to find any information what so ever about this guitar as I can only find information about the RGX. Moving on, I purchased this guitar in 2009 and it was second hand when purchased. From what I could gather from the guy in the shop it was made in the late 80's. The spec of the guitar is as follows: I have no idea of the wood (My apologies) 24 Medium Frets Licensed Floyd Rose Double Locking Trem H/S/H configuration Split coil on the bridge Volume and tone control 5 Way Pup Selector I had no accessories with this guitar as it was bought second hand. // 8

Sound: The sound of this guitar was nothing special. When I bought it the coil tap function broke, this being my fault as I mistaken it for a Push/Pull and instead I pulled it little did I know that it was Push/Push. Because of this I never really got to use the coil tap. The sound's that could be coaxed out of this guitar ranged from searing leads to jazz. The option of the middle single coil allowed softer styles to be played and when I wanted to play Metal rhythm I could Switch to the bridge. The overall sounds out of this guitar were adequate. I did plan on replacing the pups to suit metal but never got round to it. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: As I bought the guitar second hand, I can not comment on the factory setup on this guitar. However when I bought the guitar it was setup quite poorly, so either the guy before didn't know how to setup or he has never ever done it. The trem was sunk into the body and the overall action of the guitar was to low which accounted for the fret buzz and dead fret on the 3rd. After I set the guitar up to my liking and got the trem sitting pretty in the guitar the guitar played really well (considering price.) The neck had a profile similar to that of a Fender Strat, which made the guitar quite easy and comfortable to play. The main disappointment with this guitar was the finish. It would appear that the previous owner had begun stripping the guitar but had never finished. This for me looked ok but after a while it began to look cheaper and cheaper. // 5

Reliability & Durability: Despite the finish of the guitar which I highly doubt that it was from general playing (If it was this guy must have been a demon.) Because of this I cannot comment on the finish of the guitar. The hardware seemed pretty solid considering its age, minus the neck pickup which was lose a tiny bit (nothing a screwdriver didn't fix) I would say that this guitar would last for years and years to come, its lasted 20 years already and seems to be in pretty good shape to lasted anther 20. I wouldn't gig without a backup guitar mainly because it has a locking trem (The broken string issue.) And if the set list included songs in different tunings It would be useless in a live situation. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall I think that this guitar is best suited to metal and heavier styles, although it can play the majority of styles rather well. I've been playing around 2 years and I also own a RG370DX, in comparison to the Ibanez, I prefer the Ibby but only because of its neck profile and neck pup. If this guitar was lost or stolen then I wouldn't buy it again simply because I don't know where the hell sells it. The only thing that I would change about the guitar is the finish, I may get round to respraying it one day but for now it will have to be as it is. // 6

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ DDS-20M Digital Delay Sampler 7.4 Guitar Effects 08/21/2014