SBG500 Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 10/12/2007 category: Electric Guitars
Yamaha: SBG500
This guitar is heavy and solid with sustain to spare. Set neck, carved top, dual humbuckers and binding on neck and body prove that this is a quality guitar from a time when Japan was making guitars to rival the ones made in the US.
 8.8
 9.2
 8.3
review (1) 8 comments vote for this gear:
SBG500 Reviewed by: [ LiAm ], on october 12, 2007

Features: Made in Japan, don't know when. It has 22 jumbo frets with pearl inlay and twin passive humbuckers, one near the bridgeand one near the neck join. Solid mahoginy body with 'Bat Wing' style. The only flaw is the stained yellow plastic arond the pickups that gives it that old look. Two volume knobs, two tone knobs, and a 3 way pickup selector. Height adjustable 'Tune o Matic' bridge, so the strings can be lowered. The strap button is on the back, which tilts it forward slightly, but nothing major. // 9

Sound: I use it to play rock and metal, e.g. Slipknot, System Of A Down, Rage Against The Machine and The Offspring. The thin neck isnt really suitable for soloing, but for a classical rock guitar it handles the riffs pretty well. The Pickup selctor is good for Rage's riffs. I use a Behringer overdrive/distortion pedal, and an evans amp, which has a 'Boost' feature which makes the distortion sound even heavier, perfect for Slipknot. Volume isn't an issue, it's the buzzing sound I get when using any frets higher than 11 on the E and A strings. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: To me (an amatuer) the guitar is great in terms of build. Flaws: the tuning pegs loosen over time, so tuning is a constant hassle, and there's no whammy bar! That's not a big problem though. The bridge is a bit strange, but it does the job. And it also allows for some great harmonics when picked. The only major problem though is the tuning pegs, which makes the sound quality go down. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would love to play this Live, I like being 'out there', rather than having a Standard Strat. The jack (bit where you plug the leads into) loosens and when it comes off, I have to take the back off to fix it. Annoying! So tightening that constantly is also a problem. Although being in the wrong spot, the strab buttons are very solid and will last. I can and will depend on it, and it is great durability wise. // 9

Overall Impression: My style doesn't really suit the guitar, but it's nonetheless awesome. I got it as a present, so I'm extremely grateful, for it started my interest in guitar. I've been playing for about a year, and it's much easier playing than my friends Strat. The only thing I wish I had was a wammy bar! // 10

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ THR10X 9.3 Guitar Amplifiers 09/08/2014