SG2000 Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 02/04/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Yamaha: SG2000
If you are thinking of buying a Les Paul, SG, or any Gibson or Fender or whatever, try one of these first, it might make you change your mind.
 8.9
 9.2
 8.5
review (1) pictures (2) 49 comments vote for this gear:
SG2000 Reviewed by: Haza54, on february 04, 2011

Purchased from: http://www.whitstableguitars.co.uk

Features: It is a 1978 model without the push pull pots (which suits me fine). It has all the usual SG2000 specs (22 frets, sunburst, 1 piece, block of wood through the body and neck, brass sustainer block etc). With the exception of the pickups which were changed to Gibson LP 56' reissue humbuckers (also note, that these were I believe from one of the Manic Street Preachers' guitars). Stays in tune average, doesn't go out of tune once the strings have settled in. // 10

Sound: The gutiar suits my style perfectly. It has tons of sustain and, with the Gibson pickups, gives a tone to die for. The neck pickup is the best I've heard on any guitar. It sounds/feels great for blues, rock, and perhaps a hint of jazz (although I don't play much apart from blues and rock). I play through a 30 watt Fender Champ amp, and, as said above, it sounds sweeeeeeet. It doesn't give much feedback which is good in most cases, a bit frustrating in places but I only really muck around with feedback and can do that on other guitars. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Whitstable Guitars set the guitar up great. Nice action, perfect intonnation, nice height for the pickups. There are some flaws as the owner before me (who had owned it from new) was a left handed player and screwed in the scratchplate the other side of the pickups but didn't drill the holes first, so they can't be fully filled in otherwise the wood would blemish. Aside from that, it has all the usual knocks and scratches you would find on a 32/33 year old guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't used it live but I imagine it would withstand it, it is a solid, hard guitar. The hardware is starting to tarnish but this happens with gold hardware when it gets old so I'm not bothered. The strap buttons are solid. I would depend on it if I wasn't playing for long or was feeling strong ha ha. It is extremly heavy and this is one of my only vices with the design, but hey ho. Maybe I'm just a bit of a weakling! In short, I would bring a back up just incase my back started to ache. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, it is a perfect match for me. One of the reasons I'm not too keen on most strats is because, it might have loads of sustain, but you don't 'feel' it. With the SG2000 though, you feel the power and the sustain. If it were lost or god forbid stolen, I would't hesitate to buy a new one (providing I could get enough funds!). In short, if you are thinking of buying a Les Paul, SG, or any Gibson or Fender or whatever, try one of these first, it might make you change your mind (and save you some money!). // 10

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ FG730S 9 Acoustic Guitars 07/11/2014