Hydra Review

manufacturer: Zerberus date: 04/24/2006 category: Electric Guitars
Zerberus: Hydra
Whilst not initially designed as a multi-purpose guitar, the Hydra has a broad tonal spectrum, making it suitable for many musical styles. The two humbucker configuration combined with a 5-position switch offers a variety of sounds.
 8.2
 9.4
 6.9
review (1) 11 comments vote for this gear:
Hydra Reviewed by: #pal109, on april 24, 2006

Features: The guitar was made in 2005, and was made in korea. It has 24 frets with a rosewood fingerboard. It has a flame maple top which has been book matched over a Korina (similar to mahogany but lighter and more resonant) body, while the neck is made from hard wood maple. Licensed floyd rose tremolo bridge. 5-way arrangement switch with 2 volume and 1 tone knob. Non-locking Grover tuning pegs. Passive electronics. Zerberus designed pickups. Accessories: a rockcase (solid case) by Warick, a lead, a set of allen keys for the floyd rose and fretlocks, whammy bar for floyd rose. // 10

Sound: I am about a intermediate to guitar, playing many many styles from death/thrash metal, all the way to blues/ a little of jazz. It plays all of them perfectly. it doesnt buzz at all, I am using it with a Laney TF-300 (with no effects), and comparing it to a couple of guitars (a Yamaha of mine, and a couple of ESPs namely). It has a rich full sound, it doesn't really make a bark sort of sound like some gibsons or ESPs do, but I nice clean/bright sort of sound to it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on it is great, I didn't even have to tune it when I got it. It puts enjoyment into playing, and is fun to play, hard to put down, the pickups were awesome, while the finish and bookmatch was really well done. As well as the bridge was crafted properly. No flaws at all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It will withstand a heavy beating, feels real solid (like you could defend yourself with it). I could and can depend on it, but I havent had it long yet so it hasn't stood the test of time yet. I could gig it heavily. I don't know so much about backing up the guitar, because its mighty fine to play. // 9

Overall Impression: As I mentioned earlier, I like to play all styles of music (Mudvayne, Slipknot all the way to Steve Vai, Eric Clapton), it's good for all styles and can handle them individually. I own a Yamaha ERG121 and also tested and compared it to a ESP LTD MH-400, and a ESP LTD KH-202. If it were stolen, I'd long to buy another, I love its finish, the hardware on it, my fav. feature would be the floyd rose. It's not the original, so you don't have to cut the ends off. // 9

Comments