Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock Review

artist: Music Simulator date: 01/26/2011 category: games
Music Simulator: Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock
Release Date: October 28, 2007
Game Platforms: Xbox 360, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Wii, PC, Mac
Despite a few minor technological glitches, Guitar Hero III continues to celebrate rock and entertain the masses.
 Experience: 8.1
 Extras: 8.6
 8.5
 8.3
 8.6
reviews (20) 422 comments vote for this game:
Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock Reviewed by: UG Team, on november 16, 2007

Experience: The video game that has divided genuine guitarists into thinking it's either blasphemy or salvation is back with a vengeance, and this time Slash has given his own seal of approval. There's a good number of you out there Who shudder at the idea of partaking in a game like Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock, which allows the average Joe to be a guitar god for a little while, but it's probably also safe to assume that a number of us have been locked to our PS3 or Xbox since its Oct. 28 release. Guitar Hero III continues to be an addictive guilty pleasure, and the latest updates to the game have definitely taken into consideration the social aspect of the game as well. While the second installment had it's opponents who didn't think the songs were up to par, Guitar Hero III brings out all the stops. Metallica finally allowed permission for One to be featured, while we once again get another killer track from Iron Maiden (The Number Of The Beast). There are tons of recordings by the original artists, with Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, and The Killers among them. But out of all of the songs on the 70-plus track listing, it's actually the one that gets unlocked in the finale that will have most people talking. Dragonforce's Through The Fire And Flames on Expert is easily the most insane song ever to be added to the game. That's right, it makes Buckethead's Jordan look like a cakewalk. When you're in Career mode you won't fail while playing the Dragonforce finale track because it's more or less just for fun, which is wise because the difficulty is comical (thank you, Herman Li). In terms of the normal single-player Career mode, you're in store for many more challenges than on any of the previous versions. When you start getting into the last tier on Hard, the frustration is very similar to how you might feel playing, say, Bark At The Moon on Expert in the original Guitar Hero. On the 2nd, 5th, and 8th tiers, you get the opportunity to battle Tom Morello, Slash, and Lou (aka The Devil), and it's actually a nice little change to the game. The battle with Lou on Hard easily feels like any higher tier song on Expert, so be prepared to cuss like a sailor in those first tries. You and Lou battle it out back and forth on The Devil Went Down To Georgia, and in the meantime you'll each get opportunities to gain attacks that can drain your opponent's power, make them break a string, you name it. You do feel like you've been through a battle by the end of it, and depending on how much of a challenge you enjoy, will have you cheering or breaking your guitar. // 9

Extras: The most exciting new aspect to the entire game is the online play, which allows you to play pretty much anyone Who also has Internet access. When you sign on with your screen name, you have the option of playing Face-Off, Pro Face-Off, Co-Op, or a Battle. While it's an incredibly cool idea, be prepared for some delays. There is obviously a lot of traffic with it being a hot new game, and at times you'll be waiting and waiting for your game to load. At one point my online game loaded, only to find out that my opponent and I only had to play the last 20 seconds of the song. There are definitely some glitches, but when it does work, it's fantastic. Now you no longer have to leave your house to play with your buddy. That may sound incredibly lazy, but it's pretty amazing from a technological standpoint. The wireless guitar that comes with the PS3 makes it unbelievably easier to maneuver around your game system (particularly if you're having a party and feel like going all Pete Townshend on your friends). The sensitivity is a bit different than the wired controller, so if you hold your neck at a steeper angle, expect Star Power to come on a little erratically. If you keep the guitar fairly parallel to the ground, though, you'll have no problems at all. The calibration lag is also a bit fickle if you have any sort of HD wiring, and it may take more than a few tries to get it completely accurate. Patience is the key when it comes to the calibration. // 9

Overall Impression: The company Neversoft took over development duties this time around, and there is a huge improvement in the visuals of Guitar Hero III. There are cool little vignettes between each tier telling a story of your band's rise to Fame, and it very much has the feel of something you'd see on Adult Swim. Character choices have been expanded (you can even play as Slash), and there are also quite a few beauties that have been added to the guitar options. As was the case with the 2nd installment, Guitar Hero III will obviously have its opponents Who believe it is basically guitar for lazy people. But this particular guitar player looks at it very differently. There is absolutely a level of skill involved (even if it's quite different from playing a true electric), and it takes work and dexterity to become halfway decent at it. Guitar Hero III is indeed a game, and it's one that allows every single one of your friends to basically celebrate the best rock songs out there. If there's one thing that we can hopefully all agree upon, it's that Guitar Hero is giving guitar-driven songs the attention that they deserve -- and that can't be a bad thing. // 9

Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock Reviewed by: Shredder Guitar, on november 16, 2007

Experience: Just when you thought it was all over, the beast arises once again. If you thought you had it easy because you finally beat "Jordan" or "Freebird" on expert, you're wrong. Guitar Hero is back, and it's bringing the rock back for another round. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock provides the most authentic "living the band lifestyle" experience. Career mode is still amazing, and the song choices may rock harder than any other game in the series. // 7

Extras: Guitar Hero III brings back the usual formula of the series: the guitar controller, hitting notes in succesion to the groove of your favorite songs. It all just works perfectly and is seamlessly blended as good, or maybe even better, than before. The guitar controller itself still retains that familiar feel, the 5 fret buttons, the whammy bar, the strum bar. But in order to bring something new, new developer Activision has revamped the controller itself. Wii, PS3, and Xbox 360 owners will find a Gibson Les Paul controller within their copies of the game. These each feature a detachable neck, perfect for taking to parties. They are also completely wireless. The Wii controller has a compartment to place the Wii-mote, and when you use Star Power in-game, the entire controller rumbles to the beat of the song. PS2 owners will find a Kramer Striker in their copies, which provides the essential look of the '80s shredder. Most songs were picked solely for fans of the game to get exactly what they wanted. Jam along to "One" by Metallica or even the formidable "Through the Fire and Flames" by Dragonforce. If you thought "Jordan" and "Six" were hard off of 2006's Guitar Hero II, you're in for a rude awakening. // 8

Overall Impression: Brining total renovation to the world of rhythm gaming, Guitar Hero does it again. No other game has given that immense feeling of gratification of finally beating that "one difficult song." The adrenaline rushes every time you play a familiar riff from all those classic songs, and nearly all of the songs are easily recognizable. Mississippi Queen by Mountain is one of the moments you will No Doubt be grinning while playing. Whether you're a guitar player and want to take a break from the usual and whip out this classic at parties or the casual gamer Who is hungry for more sleepless, gaming nights, Guitar Hero III definately fits the bill. // 8

Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock Reviewed by: stumaster18, on november 16, 2007

Experience: About one year ago, I walked into my local Future Shop and browsed around the store. When I looked through the TV section, something in the shape of a small guitar caught my attention. I picked up this weird controller for the PS2, and realized I was playing a game called Guitar Hero II. Right from that moment I first started playing in medium, I fell in love. I actually visited the Future Shop numerous times that week to play this exciting, addictive game. I brought my friends and they were also impressed. About a week later, I purchased Guitar Hero II and I could not stop playing it. It's been a year since that time, and I have grown to be an expert in Guitar Hero II, getting 95%-100% on every song in the game (except Jordan, of course). When I heard the news that a new Guitar Hero was going to be released, I was ecstatic. When I found out what the set list was going to be for Guitar Hero III, I was even more excited. They finally had a setlist where I knew and liked every song (especially Reptilia). I knew it was going to be a great game. However, when I purchased this game on the 28th of October at that very same Future Shop, my excitement was not fulfilled. From the first moment I started playing the game, my heart sank. For some reason, the game was just not fun. The songs were great, but for some reason, something was missing. I was playing every song through, but had no motivation to go back and improve my scores on those songs. With Guitar Hero II, that was quite the opposite. I played every song over and over and over and, well, you know. With Guitar Hero III, I have no Drive to play these songs again. The most exciting songs to play were Lay Down by Priestess, and I can't even think of anything else. That's how little of an impression this game has left on me. After playing GH3, I found myself craving to play GH2, and I did, and I had more fun with that. I will never get sick of Thunderhorse. // 6

Extras: Ah, the extras section. Well, the Guitar Hero franchise has been consistent with providing tons of goodies for players to buy, including songs, guitars, finishes, characters, and more. In GH3, they make it possible for players to beat Tom Morello and Slash in guitar challenges that they wrote themselves. These new challeneges occur before the encores of the second and fifth shows. You battle back and forth, and if you hit the notes, you can use different actions like "whammy bar" which makes the other player have to press their whammy bars multiple times. This keeps them from playing the notes. You can also use an action called "double notes", which doubles the notes the other player has to play (making it a lot harder). The object of this is to make Tom or Slash fail before you do. If you beat them (or wuss out of the challenge), you play "Bulls On Parade" with Tom and "Welcome To The Jungle" with Slash, which I think is pretty cool. Except for the addition of these things, there is not much else. I know I know, they're not going to change the entire game. They did change the Star Power meter, and they also now show your current note streak (they show your streak on screen, which is actually pretty distracting). They also improved on the Career mode, having little cartoons (without dialogue) inbetween every show, showing your advancement into the professional world of music, with things like bigger shows, signing to labels, video shoots, travelling, etc. I guess what I'm saying is: the extras in this game are improved, but the gameplay is worse. That doesn't quite make sense to me. Another cool extra is the addition of Co-op Career mode, which I have yet to try, but still find quite interesting. I'm not sure if it's the same story as in career mode, but it's still a nice change. The wireless controller also helps, as well. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this is game is a very large "meh". It's pretty bad when I'd rather play GH2 than a new sequel I just bought. The songs just aren't that fun to play, and in no way compare to Guitar Hero II. I will now explain why I say this. 1. Hammer-ons and pull-offs are much harder to do. When attempting a line of hamme-ons or pull-offs, I find it nearly impossible. You have to press down much harder than you had to in GH2. This is quite annoying and inconvenient during solos and tricky riffs. 2. The songs are just boring. I've played through the entire game and many songs, including my favourites, did not catch my attention whatsoever. I finished one after another, and just went onto the next one. It's just not exciting. I don't know why. Even after playing Guitar Hero II for over a year, I have never gotten sick of it, and I don't think that I ever will. I'm sure that people are going to disagree with my rating over this game, but it's just what I experienced, and I am quite experienced with the Guitar Hero franchise. I just do not feel like this sequel equals the greatness that GH2 once was and still is. If another Guitar Hero game is released, I'm guessing it will be the last one, because I truly believe that the other veterans like myself are disappointed with this game. Maybe I am looking too far into the big picture, but the game is just boring. If you have not purchased this game already, I recommend that you play it at a friend's house first, or at your local Future Shop. Do this before you shell out over $100 for something that you may or may not be happy with. // 6

Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock Reviewed by: The_Loblo, on december 18, 2007

Experience: The first impressions given by this game are troublesome. The game is filled shamelessly with dozens of advertisements. From "Bow Chicka Wow Wow" cheerleaders and guitars to bubble gum packages on the edge of the song selection screen, this game is filled with overt and mostly irrelevant adverts. The characters are unlikable and lifeless. The main characters look like caricatures of various genres as depicted by a nine-year old. As your character is shredding in the foreground, he/she is accompanied by a robotic drummer, a singer Who strikes three poses per song, and a bassist Who hasn't evolved since the series' conception. And they removed Clive Winston from the game. // 3

Extras: For those willing to shell out in-game currency (earned by completing songs in career mode), there are some bonus tracks and videos to buy, along with character skins and guitars (don't forget to pick up the two AXE-sponsored beauties). A majority of the bonus tracks are sub-par for the series and also, strangely, features many foreign songs. The videos are somewhat interesting, but the only one worth watching is one describing the re-recording of "Anarchy in the U.K." by the Sex Pistols. // 7

Overall Impression: Despite the numerous complaints, this game still retains much of the fun from previous Guitar Hero games. The set list is arguably the best of the series. From "One" by Metallica to "Paint it Black" by The Rolling Stones, there are bound to be several tracks you will replay again and again. The set list overall has a distinctly more metal feel. The core mechanics of the game has changed in one aspect, that Expert players will undoubtedly feel quickly: hammer-ons and pull-offs. They are much more forgiving in this game. This doesn't make the game easier, though, because the note-charts are absolutely insane in end-game expert songs. // 6

Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock Reviewed by: Gh057, on december 18, 2007

Experience: Definitely an awesome game, I couldn't put it down. At first I thought Redoctane were idiots, "why activision?" I said at first, but now it's obviously the best of the series, even better than Rock Band, in my opinion. It's a lot more of a challenge, enough so it gets bumped down a point.And now Star Power can't save you when you're losing, either. // 9

Extras: The Battle mode is the single most hilariously fun part of the game. it's great at a party, when everyone's bored to whip the game out and challenge people just to watch them whimper at your feet when you destroy them. But then again, there's not much difference in the other game modes now. There's face off, and pro face off and co-op career! Yeah, whereas in GH:2, you couldn't earn anything on co-op, now you get cash for playing with your buds but what if you have no friends? There's finally online play! But you have it on PS2. Sorry loser, you're out of luck. And the new guitar controllers are great, although they may feel awkward for the seasoned SG or X-Plorer players. The co-op mode, online play, and battle mode make up for the same repeat game modes, for sure, but since there's battle mode, co-op career, online play, face off, pro face off, and normal career, what's next? How will they innovate for GH:4? // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, it's the best so far, with a unique challenge and some awesome characters (Slash and Tom Morello in particular). There are some wicked guitars you can pick up, and some lesser known songs in the shop. One of the best being Ruby by The Kaiser Chiefs. A major improvement over GH:2 was definitely the challenge and speed you have to play, making it a bit more realistic, but with that added challenge, there's the Star Power loss, which is a problem (what happens if your friend sucks and you don't and you're both on hard and you're slowly losing? ). The battle mode is awesome, and it's great to rock with your buds and all, but there's not much room left for improvement. Other than wicked tunes, greater graphics, a sweet cooperative set, awesome guitars and outrageous characters, it's just like GH:2 no wait GH:3 is nothing like GH:2 it's way better! Well, Keep it up Activision(/Blizzard) and kick out GH:4 so we can keep on rocking, hopefully with something new in the packaging. // 10

Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock Reviewed by: Guitar_Guru_Guy, on march 19, 2008

Experience: Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock is the final touch to the Guitar Hero series. I feel that it has come a long way since the first Guitar Hero game. From the first moment I played it I fell in love. it's just so much better to me than all of the other games in the series. All the new features, songs etc just make it so thrilling and exciting. // 8

Extras: All the same characters and guitars are still there with a heap of added extras like Slash From Guns N' Roses, Lou The Devil, Tom Morello From Rage Against The Machine and that is to just name a few. The guitars have also been updated and there are a lot more cool looking guitars to give you the Drive to get out there and buy all of them. The graphics have improved by a decent margin and the single and multi-player story lines capture interest from the player which makes it not all about just playing songs with a plastic guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: A few things that I would have like to have seen were just little things like the guitarist's having guitar straps when they play, the audience becoming more involved with songs and such (waving arms and singing along) and things of that nature. For anyone Who has never played the game I encourage you to buy it. If you don't play guitar all the better because it gives a warm feeling inside to know that you can play songs just with the pressing and playing of 3-5 buttons on the fretboard. Overall I rate this game extremely high and I encourage others to try it and see what they think. I give it two thumbs up but how but you find out the wonders of it for yourself. Because I tell you now reading an article about it doesn't always give you the full story. // 10

Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock Reviewed by: UkAbi, on june 19, 2008

Experience: Guitar Hero has changed the whole gaming industry. Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock is an excellent game in my opinion. The game play is atmospheric when turned up loud and has many concert venues with lighting effects, authentic instruments and sick new character moves. Though this game has been hated by many guitarists, I don't see why. Being a guitarist myself, I know that the guitar controller is nothing like playing the real thing. But I think the five coloured tab buttons make the game less complicated so everyone can enjoy being a rockstar without the need of any guitar skills. The game does need practise, but with the help of the four difficulty levels (easy, medium, hard, expert) and practise modes of different speeds, the game is never too hard for anyone. I realised that the game is extremely addictive and found myself hooked after the first time of playing. In career mode, you Live the life of a rockstar. When you complete songs on career mode you earn money and sometimes even unlock new guitars and venues! Shop with the money you earn to buy guitars, songs, characters, outfits and videos. The guitars available are fantastic from well known makers such as Gibson. Awesome new characters have been included in GH3 also, giving you the oppertunity to rock out as Slash! The game includes over 70 great legendery tracks such as: Welcome to the Jungle - Guns & Roses, Anarchy in the UK - Sex Pistles, One - Metallica, Before I Forgot - Slipknot, Paranoid - Black Sabbath, Through the Fire and the Flames - Dragonforce and many, many more! The co-op mode is very entertaining. Hook up two controllers and play as a band named by you in co-op career! You each have a chance of playing lead electric, rhythm and bass! If you have the game on Xbox 360 or PS3 you can also rock with or against people online. // 10

Extras: The Brand New Les Paul wireless controller from RedOctane was brought out with Guitar Hero III. New face plates have been realised for this controller for your own personalisation. Another new feature is Boss Battles. Once a section of songs have been completed on career mode, you then have to battle it out against guitar icons Slash and Tom Morello to exclusively recorder tracks. // 10

Overall Impression: The only thing I have a slight grumble about is my controller. I haven't got the new Les Paul GH3 controller, but the GH2 Xplorer controller, which is extremely sensitive for star power on this game, which can be awkward when it triggers when I don't want it to. Overall the game is brilliant and I would definatley recommend it! // 9

Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock Reviewed by: Rock In Rio, on july 28, 2008

Experience: Ahh Guitar Hero III the highly anticipated sequel to the very successful GH II. I was very wary about buying this game since Harmonix was bought out by MTV. I wasn't sure if the game would be as good as it's predecessors under new management. Luckily the new developers put in some features that make the game much better and some features definitely make the game somewhat easier. GH III has the same concept as the first and second game. The game comes right out of the box with a guitar controller made to look like an actual guitar, it just so happens that with the next gen consoles comes a Les Paul guitar. On the low part of the neck there are five colored buttons in this order Green, Red, Yellow, Blue and Orange. Gameplay consists of a scrolling board that carries notes that you must hit as they go over the low part of the screen. Each time you hit a note it makes the sound on the soundtrack, but miss the note and there is no sound. Just like in real life there are single notes and chords with chords forcing you to hold down both colored buttons and strum just like a regular note. There are also hammer ons and pull offs which work just like there realistic selfs which means no strumming needed. During the game once you beat a certain stage you will have to face off against a well known guitar icon. Using attacks such as broken string which forces forces the other person to repeatedly press the designated button to be able to use it again. There is also an attack called whammy which when used the other player must rapidly use the whammy bar to hit any notes. Once you beat the famed guitarist you get to play an Encore with the guitarist. For example after the first battle you get to play the song "Bulls On Parade" and Who else would you face off against than the famed Tom Morello. After beating your opponent you can go to the store and purchase them allowing you to play them in any song. // 7

Extras: The biggest improvement over the previous games is the hammer ons & pull offs work a lot better allowing you to be less precise than previous games. Songs in this game are much more difficult than earlier games. This game will have you playing classic hits such as Iron Maidens "Number Of The Beast" and trying to match the great playing style in Metallics "One" solo. Guitar battles allow you and your friends to prove Who is truly a better GH player. This game features wireless guitars allowing you to jump all around the room without pulling your console to the floor. // 8

Overall Impression: The guitar is much better than previous guitars since putting in the wireless feature. The hammer on system is much better than its predecessors. Guitar battles add a whole new level of excitement to the game. // 7

Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock Reviewed by: 【♠Jøsh♠】, on october 03, 2008

Experience: The game altogether was phenominal. There are only a handful of games out there that encorporate music into the game, for example the singstar series (enough said). Guitar Hero three is not only highly addictive and enjoyable it can also broaden your tastes in music, for example I hated the band Afi just because of the 'emo' stereotype I had heard from friends, but after hearing their song miss murder I have come to realise that they are actually a very good band. The game is very difficult at first, you pick up your controller, think your a god and then fail slow ride on easy. this is not the best way to start off your gaming experience, but all things require time and practice. the gameplay on easy is boring because it only involves the first three fret buttons and is incredibly slow, but eventually when you reach the hard and expert difficulties it is very fulfilling being able to hit a whole solo and to finish the game, and even when you complete the game you still go back for more and there is nothing stopping you because you play for enjoyment and not to complete it. I have it on xbox 360 so I have the many 'wonders' of online play, and I can't really say anything bad about the online play apart from the fact that I can never win (this has nothing to do with the game though). there are 4 different modes online: face off, pro face off, battle and co-op. battle is the new mode bought into Guitar Hero 3 and it involves in playing the other person at the songs but instead of receiving star power you get different feats which you can inflict upon your opponent to make their life harder and hopefully make them fail the song. battle mode has also been bought into the career gameplay as well and it involves playing against 2 special guests to the game, the famous guitarists tom morello and Slash. They have written two instrumental pieces for the game specially so that you can play them at these songs and hopefully win and progress through the career mode. I have had the game for 10 months now and I still find it intreging and I have not fully finished it yet. And if you do finish the game for any hardcore players there are online leaderboards for you to conquer. // 10

Extras: As some of you may know with Guitar Hero 3 they have bought at new wireless controllers with removable heads. you can buy the playstation 2 version and you will get a Kramer stratocaster and with the xbox 360 and wii versions you will get a Gibson les paul, with both of these guitars you can get removable faceplates which can be customised with stickers or you can buy custom faceplates with new designs. To be honest the wireless abilities are useful because you can move around and rock out how you wish, however there have been a few techinical difficulties with these guiatrs. on the Kramer the only problem I have seen is that there is a slight delay on when you play notes so you may be missing loads when you think your hitting them and the issue I have had with the les paul controller is that the buttons sometimes fail after a while and this is very irritating when you get so far through a song you can never complete (one-Metallica for me).however their are various ways to fix these issues but I'm not going to tell you any in this review because I don't wish to be liable if your guitars get even worse. An extra which is a must for anyone hardcore fans Who have finished the game is the downloadable track packs. some of these can cost money and should only be bought if you are fans of The Music, for example I bought the modern metal track pack because it included Thrice-the arsonist and Avenged Sevenfold-almost easy however there are some free downloads that are definitely worth buying simply because they are free, for example the dropkick murphys track pack comes with three free songs and when I first heard them I instantly started to like the band. As always there are unlocks and many different guitars, songs, finishes, characters and constumes to be bought in the game shop (in game money, not real) and some of the guitars are only buyable after completeing the game on a certain difficulty, also at the end of the game there is through the fire and flame by Dragonforce which you unlock. as many of you may have heard this song is next to impossible, but there are still people Who can nearly hit 100% of the notes on it. I can't even last 6 seconds. // 8

Overall Impression: This guy is completely amazing, there is nothing you can hate about it because it is next to perfect in gameplay and the graphics are amazingly good as well. I love the mix of music that you get from old time Indie classics such as she bangs the drum by the stone roses to metal such as take this life by In Flames. there is obviously the technical issues that you may have and this is an bovious worry that comes with the game and this can cause a lot of concern because the game is not cheap. Also there is one little petty problem which I have with this game and it is because the title is 'legends of rock' and somehow the Killers with when you were young and the kaiser chiefs with ruby, can anyone explain how these songs are legendary? Apart from that it is a brilliant game and it is a must buy for all music fans. // 9

Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock Reviewed by: Zapfire, on november 19, 2007

Experience: When I first picked up my copy of GHIII on the day it was released I was ecstatic. I was a huge fan of the two previous installments and as soon as I saw Slash on the cover I felt butterflies in my stomach as I was overwhelmed with joy. Although the game is basically the same game as before, I couldn't help but feel it was different. The career mode, which now somewhat has a story to it was a blast to play. The song choices in GHIII did not dissapoint me. Playing "Slow Ride" and then others suchs as "One", "Welcome to the Jungle", and "Through The Fire and Flames" came as a huge plus for me. Your favorite characters are back, and this time each one has about 10 diiferent looks to go with. Overall this Guitar Hero has been the most enjoyable for me. // 9

Extras: New to the series are the "Boss-Battles" with Tom Morrelo of "Rage Against The Machine", Slash of "Guns n' Roses/Velvet Revolver" and Lou Who is basically the devil. Both Tom and Slash wrote specially recorded songs for their Boss battles, which unlike most people, I actually like. It adds a new dimenison to the game. And taking on friends in these battles is more exciting than ever. Also it seems like there are limitless guitar options. Now you can choose from Epiphone, Gibson, Kramer, and the always fun Guitar Hero special guitars. I don't know about you, but being able to play the guitar controller in game will always be fun. The extras are some very good additions to the game. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall Guitar Hero III has been an exciting and extremely fun experience as Neversoft has added some awesome extra features. The battles, multiplayer, and career mode won't dissapoint. Although the glitches with online play will. If you aren't worrying about online, then you are in for a long, fun ride. Guitar Hero III is great, and I can't wait for more. // 8

Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock Reviewed by: Warheart1188, on november 19, 2007

Experience: Guitar Hero III is big step up from GH II. The songs are more fun, there's a bigger variety of songs, the Boss battles are just fun and the multiplayer modes keep you coming back for more. I completed the game on Medium, with at least a 97% in every song, in about the same amount of time it takes to listen to every song on you iPod or something. I loved GH II and part III brings the virtual guitar world into a whole dimension. The next-gen console guitars being Les Pauls just added that completing touch in the player's journey of being a rock god. // 9

Extras: The multiplayer modes is where the game shines. I own on the game on Xbox 360 and really, this THE system to play it on. With Xbox Live, you can play anyone, anywhere in a huge online community. The new "Battle" mode has a steep learning curve but when you master it, you'll be the envy of all. Also on Xbox 360, the achievement system makes the game more worth playing over and over again but completing "Through the Fire and Flames" on Expert only gives us 15 gamerscore points? The Les Paul controller on the next-gen systems is the best in the line of controllers. It really feels like a mini Les Paul. The buttons have gone back the Tradition design and the strum bar has been enhanced. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, the game is solid. I've experienced no problems at all with the game itself. The only drawback for GH veterans is that the syncopation between the buttons flowing on screen and the timing of you playing them has changed so that it's alittle harder to play the songs. Also, another drawback is the insanity that is "Through the Fire and Flames" on Expert (come on, do kids really have no lives anymore that they strive to beat this song? I can play it real life but the game is so hard! ) The game is fun, the Boss battles are good but I think there could've been more. Slash was awesome, Morello could've been replaced(he is a great player but imagine a Boss battle between Malmsteen or Vai) and the final battle was just amazing. The 70+ songs are great and with downloadable tracks on the way, this game will rock. Now, only Rock Band can overtake this game, and it probably will. // 9

Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock Reviewed by: dan4ftball14, on february 06, 2008

Experience: My first impression of this game was that it was going to be insane, in a good way. All of the other guitar hero's were very popular and were rated very high. Guitar Hero 2 was voted second greatest game of 2007 by 'Game Informer' and other gaming magazines. I'm sure Guitar Hero 3 Legends of Rock will receive close to the same results. // 8

Extras: This Guitar Hero has many innovated features over it's previous games. First and foremost, it has all new characters, including Tom Morello and Slash. Of coarse it has new songs, and a great selection I might add. And the wireless Les Paul guitar that comes with the X-Box 360 is a quite nice. // 9

Overall Impression: All together this is an exceptional game. It's up their with the greatest games of our time. The entire series is like a cult following, and it's almost impossible to not play it at some point. I'm not sure Who wouldn't love this game. It has almost all genres of music, and is an exceptional way for up and coming bands to gain popularity. For example, statistics say after the Dragonforce song "Through the Fire and Flames" was placed on Guitar Hero 3, Dragonforce's record sales went up 126%. // 10

Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock Reviewed by: VILLAIN90, on february 13, 2008

Experience: Experience Guitar Hero 3 has brought some new things to the table this time around; such as Boss Battles, and online play where you can play co-op with friends in other states. New guitars, characters and songs keep the game fresh. Songs from all ages the '60s and '70s all the way up to the 2000s. If your new it's a great time to play. The Les Paul guitar is a very fragile piece of equipment, the buttons stick and the neck will occasionally snap due to minor pressure, plus the whammy bar is not so responsive. I recomend using the Explorer. // 6

Extras: Extras downloadable content via Xbox Live market place is always new and never stops coming. songs and just about eveything else is located in the game store (clothes, characters, songs, videos, etc). New items keep the game fresh. New song packs are being added to Xbox Live all the time so you should never run out songs to play, and you can even choose to battle your friends online. // 8

Overall Impression: overall impression it's not a bad game but it is very different thanks to Neversoft. I'm not a big fan of Neversoft because their characters always look more cartoonic than real. That is pretty much the only thing to dislike about the game well that and you have to battle the devil a.k.a Lou to escape from Hell other than it's a good game. // 7

Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock Reviewed by: josco999, on march 17, 2008

Experience: This game is great for those who have never played guitar hero, or for the fans of the series that want to come back to it. I enjoy how it has a variety of tracks ranging from the '60s to modern day so that even the old timers can recognize some songs. My personal favorite songs are Knights of Cydonia by Muse and Prayer of the Refugee by Rise Against. With so many songs it is impossible to not find a song you like. // 8

Extras: In this game there are some features that are obviously missing (like changing to a different lead singer besides that ugly big-chinned man) but overall some of the features are pretty cool. I think the game's creators went a little to far with the new battle mode and including it in the career mode because the battles can get very annoying and I don't know anyone Who actually enjoys them. Also, there is an obvious lack of some bands that I think should have appearances in the game like Foo Fighters or The White Stripes. I'm sure you people out there can think of a few bands missing too. // 7

Overall Impression: What I love about this game is that you can very easily come back to it and play a few songs even after you've beaten the game because a lot of the songs are actually fun to play. Also, the bass player in the band is amazingly awesome, but the male singer has to go. Overall, if you have the money, buy the game but it isn'y worth saving money for months and scraping it together just to get your hands on it. // 8

Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock Reviewed by: Staind_is_BEAST, on may 21, 2008

Experience: Guitar Hero III is probably the best music simultion game ever to exist. Players can pick many modes, play "battles", more characters and guitars; so much more than any other game that I can't even list it all. However, Why is the game a better experience on the X-Box 360 than the Wii, PS3, and other platforms? Once you play the game on the 360, the game changes. // 10

Extras: Using the 360 to play Guitar Hero III, there is the fun of getting achievements. Guitar Hero III, like most games, have a maximum achievement count of 1000 points, which add up to your gamerscore. Online, it counts as bragging rights when you play other people that have a skill level similar to yours. Many achievements, such as Big Pile o Wins, require you to play online. To achieve Big Pile o Wins, the player must win 500 online matches. Also, my personal favorite, Hendrix Reborn. To do this achievement, you must play in Career mode as a righty and a lefty. I achieved it but in a matter of cheating but not to the game. For example, say you are a righty (like me) and you want this achievement. Play Career (doesn't matter what difficulty) as a righty. Then change the option found in the pause menu to lefty. Then, get a mirror, CD (the side that reflects), glass, or anything that reflects light. Then, place it at an angle at which you can see the T.V. When you play on the lefty setting, play as a normal righty but watch the reflection. Obviously, it is appearing in reverse, but in this case, as a normal righty view. Another great feature of the game is the online store. Buying songs and other great items (worth the money) helps make this game impossible to stop playing. // 10

Overall Impression: Unfortunately, every great game has some flaws and bad features. First, the graphics are not that realistic, especially the singer. In the song "Talk Dirty To Me" by Poison, the singer's eyes move left and right as if on a perfectly straight line, in a manner so creepy, that looking at HIM (or what I think is an "it") is disturbing. The creators definately could have done a much better job with graphics. Also, there were many unpopular, torturous to play through songs. Good songs: Miss Murder, Talk Dirty To Me, Sunshine of my Love, Rock You Like A Hurricane, Welcome to the Jungle, and Cherub Rock; and this is out of 70 songs. Great, 90% of Guitar Hero's songs suck! However, the good ones are worth playing. it's a good game, great to play online or on co-op, go buy it. // 10

Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock Reviewed by: Brownstone95, on september 30, 2008

Experience: It was an overall positive experience, but definetly could've been better. The features could've been a little better. I mean, I have a PS3 and it gets old to pay $100 for a selection of new songs. The guitar battles were okay but kind of a dumb way to do it. But I was happy when I plugged it in for the first, it's pretty fun. // 7

Extras: The bonus songs are much better than that of the previous games.(except for GH2's Jordan by Buckethead)There is some really good songs in there like Through The Fire and The Flames, Go That Far and She Bangs the Drums. The downloadable songs are great too like the Top Gun theme and We Three Kings. As for the other stuff, it's the same as the previous installments. // 8

Overall Impression: Like I said, most of the songs are great, and I do like buying the guitars. The battles could've been a lot better. I mean, attack power-ups? C'mon now. They need to focus less on that junk, and more on what guitar is all about: playing it. Just because Tom Morello and Slash (and Lou) are guitar-gods, it doesn't mean they don't mess up. You'll be playing it and they'll be getting 100% unlees your attacking them. It's pretty dumb, but is pretty fun I guess. The songs you unlock after the Morello and Slas battles(Bulls on Parade and Welcome to the Jungle, respectively) are absolutely great though and it is fun to play through a career as either of them. All in all, it's a pretty solid game. // 7

Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock Reviewed by: J.Dawg, on october 31, 2008

Experience: It is really a good game. I have a PS2 and I play this game on Expert, and it`s really good. I think this is one of the best games around. All the original characters are in it and actually look a lot better. I love the Boss battles and the songs on it. It`s, to me, a pretty good game. // 9

Extras: There are tons of extras, like Bonus characters, I name a few: Tom Morello From Rage Against The Machine, Slash from Guns N` Roses, and a few made up ones like Metalhead and Lou. You can also you can get some cheats and unlock cool things like: perfromance mode, when the fret board dissapears as well as the rock meter, except for the performance. Large gems, the gems on the fretboard get really huge, wich I really don`t like that one. Percision Mode, you have to hit every note perfectly, can`t be to late or to soon. I`ll write one more down, Easy Expert, you can`t use this in career mode but, you can use it in quick play mode. These may not be all the cheats and extras, but there are a lot of extra stuff. // 10

Overall Impression: I like everything about this game, & there is nothing I hate about it. It helps with hand & eye cordnation. I really like how you get to buy different guitars from the store and different guitar finishes, also bonus songs, characters, and outfits too. It can be challenging at times, but once you get the hang of it, you feel really good about it. On Expert, in certain songs, like: Take This Life, or Through The Fire And Flames, (bonus songs), notes just come flying at you, and you don`t know what to do, sometimes. I just think it`s a really cool game. It has really improved since the first one. // 10

Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock Reviewed by: Flaming_Frets, on november 12, 2008

Experience: Great at creating a fun gaming experience. If I was able to give it a star rating I'd give it 4. The stage effects like fire are sketchy and obviously non-realistic but it makes the game cooler and unique. The game play can make you angry sometimes due to the absence of most of the frets that a real guitar has, but I don't think it detracts too much from the overall experience. This is recommended for anyone Who loves music. // 8

Extras: Whammy bar is realistic for a game, and it's great that it has hammer-ons and pull-offs. Star power is cool in that it adds an amp sound-effect, tho sometimes it can be annoying if the effect doesn't really belong there, like in the middle of a shred, but it can really bring a solo to life if you're in the right moment. // 7

Overall Impression: I love the graphics in that some parts are realistic yet most of it is wild and far-fetched. Playing it is fun, yet I regret that there's only 5 fret positions. I absolute hate that sometimes it's a lot harder to play than a real guitar, like the solos on Expert(the highest difficulty) can be rediculous because they don't have enough frets, just think, it's like compiling all the notes in the Master of Puppets solo into 5 frets, after playing it your fingers just want to die. // 6

Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock Reviewed by: A3r0sm1th, on february 20, 2009

Experience: When I first heard of the "Guitar Hero" games, I was quite skeptical. After all, why simulate on a plastic guitar with buttons when you can play a real guitar (such was my situation)? After finally giving in, I tried Guitar Hero III. Loved It! I don't know why because I do play the real guitar, but there is just something about nailing a solo on their that gives you a sense of acomplishment. I looked into this whole Guitar Hero thing a little more and eventually bought this game and the second Guitar Hero as well. And now I'm beating every song on expert! In particular, Guitar Hero III is more legit than the rest, now having legends such as Tom Morello and Slash entering the scene. The soundtrack is pretty incredible, the variety of characters and authentic guitars to choose from are awesome, and the challenges are addicting! // 9

Extras: This game now features real guitarists that you can use as characters and battle for the first time in Guitar Hero history! Face off against Slash (Guns N' Roses, Velvet Revolver, etc..) and Tom Morello (Rage Against The Machine) in dueling guitar matches that'll make your fingers feel like they're going to fall off! Cheats are now accessible from the options menu instead of having to enter them in every single time! Lots of fun and different stuff on this new game. // 10

Overall Impression: Love this game and I would recommend it to any guitar fans, especially those Who cannot play a real guitar. Playing this game makes you feel like a rockstar with genres ranging from soft rock to heavy metal! I'd buy this game again if it were lost or famaged in a heartbeat and duel anyone, anytime! I'll never get sick of this game. // 10

Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock Reviewed by: CaseeeyXD, on january 26, 2011

Experience: I had a lot of fun with this game. I had originally had the game for Playstation 2, but an Xbox 360 was bought and put into my household, so I hadn't played it. I then got the game for Xbox 360 and couldn't have been any more excited to be able to play the game again. This game definitely had some of the best soundtracks of all the Guitar Hero games. I had a great time playing this game with my friends and family. // 9

Extras: I liked that in order to continue and pass a few certain tiers, you had to "battle" famous guitarists (except for Lou, of course, not being an actual guitarist) because it gave you a challenge and some extra fun to have to do. Other than that, I do not know of or cannot think of any "innovative features" in this game. // 8

Overall Impression: I loved, basically, everything about this game. I really liked that you could change the front plate on the guitar paddle and replace it with designed plates. Also, I greatly enjoyed the soundtrack on this game. One thing, however, that I didn't exactly HATE, but I didn't love was that you couldn't play on different levels in the multi-player mode for Pro-Face Off because that was the kind of multi-player mode everyone most enjoyed playing since you could play the whole song. // 8

More Music Simulator reviews rating latest review