AG60 Review

9.4
 9.8
review (1) pictures (3) user comments vote for this gear:
AG60 Reviewed by: witmachine, on january 05, 2010

Features: I bought this acoustic amplifier in November 2008 at my local Guitar Center for $350. It is a 60 watt, solid state beast weighing in at about 50 pounds. The amp rocks a very classic and put together look with 18 dials well laid out, a neat cloth grill on the cab and distinctive blue power indicator. For an acoustic amp, it is loaded with features. 2 channels with 2 inputs each, each input with individual volume control. Each of the four total inputs allows either 1/4" or XLR (microphone) connection. The equalizer has bass, low-mid, hi-mid, and high frequency controls. Onboard effects are pretty cool, too, my favorite so far is the reverb+chorus. The effects sound good and help show off how good the amp can sound. You can control the levels of effects and eq individually for each channel as well. This was a big motivation for me because I sometimes hook up vocals on my speaker, so having separate eq and volume was a big deal, not to mention that I could hook up XLR. The back of the amp features an effects loop and line out for PA. I haven't used a PA with this amp, but the effects loop works well. There is a headphone jack and 1/8" input on the front which are great too. The cabinet has two 8" speakers and a tweeter. The tweeter sounds very good when I'm high up on the neck, I love it. And to top it off the amp is angled so you can stand it up proper or push it back and play it monitor style. // 10

Sound: The first night I played with this amp I hooked up a guitar, drum machine, keyboard and mic (with an XLR connection). The amp was able to handle all the sounds well, but I decided to take out the drum machine just for my own convenience. The amp isn't noisy at all. The input on certain guitars I have used with it are a bit loose and give some noise, but compared to the signal it isn't much. At high volumes with my solid body acoustic I don't get any feedback or distortion. The EQ onboard really helps balance my sound. Vocals sound clear and crisp as well. It all depends on the EQ and the quality of microphone you use... The amp has 16 effects including chorus 1, chorus 2, flange 1, flange 2, chor/rev 1, chor/rev 2, bright hall, dark hall, bright room, dark room, bright plate, dark plate, echo, repeat echo, echo/rev 1, echo/rev 2. My favorites being chorus/reverb, dark room, bright hall and the echo. All the effects sound very natural. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have used this amp as my primary amp at gigs. Not only for guitar, but for keyboard as well. I trust it will work and so far hasn't shown any indication of breaking down, no hiccups, care-free use. I have been just carrying it around without a case and it's been fine. I try not to bump it, so I take good care of it but I would feel better if I had a case for the amp. The company website doesn't have any options for cases, but I have had some extra time so I'll look around for a case that suits it. I want this amp to last me a long time. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this amp is one of general amazement. This is my first acoustic amp and I love it. No more will I hook up acoustic instruments into regular amps! When I went to GC in search of an acoustic amp for my new Epiphone SST Studio 2008 I was walking around the acoustic room looking at the Fender acoustasonic and the Marshall one they had (the Fishman being completely out of my budget for an acoustic amp). The salesman kindly pointed me over to the AG60. For the price (50 bucks less than the Marshall 50w) and the features I really got a deal. The clear sound, the 4 total mic/instrument inputs and the 1/8" input really got me. Some folks may say that this amp has got a lot of bells and whistles but I see these features as essentials, really. And being on a budget I had to pick this one up. // 10

More Acoustic reviews rating category latest review
+ AG-15 4.4 Guitar Amplifiers 08/20/2013