GVT15-112 Review

manufacturer: Ampeg date: 07/04/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Ampeg: GVT15-112
I play various guitars, and the GVT15-112 works really well with all those different types, making the character of each guitar stand out really well, while retaining a very nice, rocksolid tight clean sound.
 9.7
 9.5
 9.8
review (1) pictures (3) user comments vote for this gear:
GVT15-112 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 04, 2012

Price paid: € 622

Features: - Made in Korea (2012) 1-channel "Class A" Tube Combo, closed back. - 2x 12AX7 preamp tubes. - 2x 6V6 poweramp tubes. - solid state rectifier. - 15W (tetrode) or 7.5W (triode) wattage. - 1x 12" Celestion Speaker, 16Ohm. - 3-band "Bandaxall" EQ. - Gain-knob and master volume. - Spring reverb. - 1 input. - on/off switch and 15W/Standby/7.5W switch. - 2x 4Ohm 2x 8Ohm and 1x 16Ohm speaker outputs - serial FX-loop. - footswitchable reverb and FX-loop (footswitch not included). - high density plywood cabinet. I give this a 9. It's basically everything you can ever ask from a 112 tube combo. It could've been a 10 if there was a dust-cover and/or the footswitch with it. // 9

Sound: I play various guitars (Gibson ES-135, Fender Telecasters, Fender Stratocaster, Rickenbacker 370/12, Harmony H-74,...), and the GVT15-112 works really well with all those different types, making the character of each guitar stand out really well, while retaining a very nice, rocksolid tight clean sound. I play soul/R&B in my spare time, and a crossover between Americana, Singersongwriter and Blues in my band, and the Ampeg works really great for all those genres. It is a fairly clean amp, for which I use it. With the gain all the way up, and the volume at a moderate level, you don't get a heavily distorted sound, but a mild, tight crunch. If you open up the volume as well, it breaks up amazingly, giving you a tight, focussed seventies highgain sound, but beware, with the volume open, this thing can blast through walls. The reverb is an actual spring reverb, but the tank is a small one, so it isn't as deep and luscious as a Fender one. Think of it more as an accessory to sweeten up your sound instead of a real soundeffect. The amp itself is very silent, with virtually no hum (even with singlecoils). The only thing it has is when you switch between Standby and 7.5W, it says "pop", which it doesn't when you switch from 15W to Standby. The 3-band Bandaxall EQ is the biggest weapon of this amp. Because of this system, the knobs have an ENOURMOUS traverse (they have 4 times the reach of a conventional EQ), so you can shape your sounds perfectly, even if you're after an extreme setting. In short: the clean is Fender-ish, but more tight, and with a more subtle reverb, but the Drive is UNMISTAKABLY Ampeg. For my, I give this amp a 10, as it is perfect in my needs (solid clean, subtle reverb). I can imagine someone who's more into the highgain sounds at a bedroom level will be a bit disappointed because you only can reach those sounds when cranking the amp all the way up. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp is built rocksolid, and is finished topnotch (no bubbles in the tolex, the knobs are firmly in place, it doesn't hiss, crackly or give any interference,... ), and it's safe to gig without backup. For so far I have it, it hasn't let me down once. I always gig with a backup, but I would be confident if for one reason or another I can't take my backup amp with me. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Soul/Americana/Singersongwriter/Blues/Funk, and this amp is perfect for my needs (clean with an edge, subtle reverb, articulation). If it were stolen, I would undoubtedly buy one back in the end, but maybe I would buy a Fender Deluxe Reverb first, as that one has a vibrato as well, which I miss a bit in this amp (not that it's necessary, but hey, I got to b*tch about something). I compared this amp with everything money could buy in that pricerange, and it came out as the best, maybe because Ampeg isn't THAT known as a guitarmp brand, so they can give a lot of bang for the buck. Before this, I had a Marshall Class 5, which was alo awesome, but a tad too dirty for me. The only thing I really wish it had was a dustcover, as this amp is totally unprotected by now, and it's something you somewhat may expect from an amp in this pricerange. // 9

More Ampeg reviews rating category latest review
+ GVT52-112 8.8 Guitar Amplifiers 09/02/2013