R-212R Review

9.2
review (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
R-212R Reviewed by: Acronikos, on september 15, 2009

Purchased from: Local Music Shop

Features: The Ampeg R212R Reverberocket Amp is an amp that both jazz and blues guitarists would enjoy thoroughly. The Ampeg R212R amp is a remake of its predecessor from the 60's, and it offers a phenomenal replica of that classic tube tone. It provides 50W of Class AB power, has 2 Ampeg Vintage 12" speakers, 2 Groove Tube 6L6s and 3 - 12AX7s(for wonderful tone), 2-channel operation, and reverb. The reverb on this amp is fantastic and can be activated by a foot pedal that controls reverb and overdrive. There are three knobs for bass, mid, and treble tone controls. Also has line out/line in connections. Ampeg's R212R Reverberocket Amp is 25"W x 19"H x 11"D and weighs 55 lbs. Features: * Clean, fat, round tube tone (great for blues and jazz) * Diamond blue Vintage covering (stylish and classic) * 50W of Class AB power (plenty of power) * Two Ampeg Vintage 12" speakers * Two Groove Tube 6L6s and three 12AX7s (great sounding tubes) * Two-channel operation (overdrive and reverb) * Bass, mid, and treble tone controls (easy to find your tone) * Reverb * Line out/line in connections // 9

Sound: I use a Parker PM-20 out of this amp and I have found this amp to be incredibly versatile. The overdrive is very crunchy and good for the Vintage garage-rock sound to classic rock. Also it can handle a wide variety pedals. I am very happy with the tones I have achieved out of this amp. No cleans can compare to the cleans that I have achieved with this amp. Every other amp I have ever tried has not come close. I do recommend this amp to jazz and blues guitarists and also Indie artists looking for a good clean tone. Mainly, I play a variety of music (mathcore/metalcore/screamo/metal) and the occasional classic rock. If you are looking for a heavy sounding amp then I do not recommend this one. Without pedals, you can not achieve a heavy sound. Although it is a loud powerhouse and can deliver powerful cleans and when a pedal is in use it will make it Shine. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It has lasted me for four years without problem. I has been in use heavily since I purchased it, and it has been transported to different venues for shows and practices without issue. I highly recommend any product by Ampeg seeing how I have yet to encounter a problem. I would also recommend this for a gig especially smaller venues such as coffee houses and such. It can definitely manage larger shows too though. // 9

Overall Impression: If this amp were to break down or get stolen from me, I would most definitely go out of my way to get another one. I plan to keep this amp in my collection as long as I play guitar. My favorite feature of this amp would have to be the clean tones it produces and the excellent reverb. It has wheels for easy transportation also which is a nice benefit. If you ever purchase one, I'm sure you will be pleased. // 8

More Ampeg reviews rating category latest review
+ GVT52-112 8.8 Guitar Amplifiers 09/02/2013