V-50H Review

3.9
 7.8
review (1) pictures (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
V-50H Reviewed by: losing battle, on august 23, 2012

Features: This amp was made in the mid 90's as some kind of plexi-esque clone or what have you, it sounds like a love child of a low gain Marshall and a Fender. It doesn't sound exactly like either one to be honest but it sounds close enough for some excellent versatility and when you take into account it takes just about any pedal like a Champ for what it is its a pretty damn good amplifier. This amp has one channel no master volume knob or a volume knob it has a reverb, bass, mid, treble, and gain knob I almost forgot this amp has no effects loop this amp is pretty cave man for its time. Tweaking this amp on its own is a bit tricky, if you have no gain you have no volume so surprise surprise you will never have a perfectly clean tone. If you want a good overdriven tone you would need an overdrive, cut the absolute bejesus out of your other frequencies or turn up the gain knob and have your ears bleed. Its a 50 watt tube amp packing 2 12AX7's and 2 EL34's it achieves I am calling the cops volume really really quickly, when I ordered this amp the GC employee said it wasn't that loud, I'm thinking he must have been deaf because believe me if you use any od, boost distortion this amp will become psychotic very very quickly, fortunately it has two input jacks a regular and a -6db input jack even with the -6db it will start roaring away with neural eq's with a boost at 2-3 its more then enough volume for any sane application. // 5

Sound: I use a Gibson Les Paul with a DiMarzio XN2 in the bridge and use my old Randall RG200 as an open back cab (this amp is far too loud for any sane purpose to attach the back of it for any purpose) believe it or not use this amp for metal, it can not get there on its own by any means even using boosts/ods its simply not happening I am forced to use a dirt pedal. Instead of focusing on my pedals I'll tell you what this amp can actually do well. It can achieve some awesome rolling stones to Zep tones, this amplifier excels at classic rock tones it has a nice spring reverb it can't do surf rock though its not that lush but it is very nice and responsive and not overly saturating, its enough to add life to your playing but not overkill like I said before. It is very capable of achieving a nice clean sound at high volume on its own but now its time for the fun stuff. With an od it can reach deep purple to kill them all era Metallica tones if you add some gain from the pedal. Lastly if you run a decent dirt pedal like a pro-co turbo rat it will reach almost comically levels of brutality at relatively low volumes, and if you feel like committing war crimes add an od or boost to unleash the unholy fury of this amplifier. If you are a sick bastard like me turn the magical gain knob to 6 as well and lord Kthulu will be most pleased with the unmerciful slaughter of the 6505 brigade. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I thought I had problem with this amp before such as dying pre amp tubes but it turned out to be other faulty equiptment failures such as cabes, jacks, power supplies ect. I've owned it for a year and a half and no problems yet. I should drop it off for maintenence but I have had no problems yet and I don't feel like driving 30 miles to a tech. // 7

Overall Impression: I really wish this had a separate volume knob because dialing in tones with out it being house rattling loud is very difficult, also a way to engage the reverb/boost off on switch with out a foot pedal would be awesome too. (It's on as a default if there is no footswitch attached) my favorite thing about this amp how it interacts with all of my other gear, its nice be able to go from nice commercially friendly rock tones to neck snapping, skull crushing brutality in the twist of my volume knob. I bought this on a blind buy on a recommendation to buy an Ampeg, it was this or solid state piles of crap MG's, Spiders, solid state Peaveys in my budget at the time and in the beginning I kind of hated this amp to begin with but once figured out how to abuse all my pedals with this wonderous monstrosity of caveman technology quickly evolved into hands down the best tone I ever heard. // 9

More Ampeg reviews rating category latest review
+ GVT52-112 8.8 Guitar Amplifiers 09/02/2013