FA 60 Combo Review

manufacturer: Ashdown date: 04/27/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Ashdown: FA 60 Combo
This amp is very versatile for classic rock, metal, thrash etc. This is simply the best amp I have ever owned.
 9.3
 9.5
 9.1
review (1) pictures (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
FA 60 Combo Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 27, 2012

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: This amp was made in 2006. It is very versatile for classic rock, metal, thrash etc. It has 2 Channels + a Master, and comes with a foot pedal that has 4 buttons 1. Change between Channel 1/2, 2. Boost 3. Master Channel 4. On-board Effects (that I don't use). It has an effects loop. 8 tubes run this amp, 4 EL's and 4 AX's. It has MONSTER bass! It sounds more like a 100w tube amp. It is LOUD! It has a selector switch to change between 4 ohm, 8 ohm, or 16 ohm. The on-board effects are a bit weak and I don't use them (so that might be a point drop from a 10). There is also a input to add an extension cabinet to it. It has a uniqueness about it that you can get good sounds out of it without having to crank it to 10 to get it. // 9

Sound: I have a Les Paul Custom Shop, a modified Fender Strat (with David Gilmour EMG pickups), Jackson DNKY, Ibanez RG350 DX (with Dimarzio X2N bridge pickup). I play progressive rock (Pink Floyd) to classic rock like (Sabbath, Van Halen) and more recent stuff like GNR. I have to turn the Bass down to about 2 or it is too bass heavy. The distortion is incredible! I can leave 1/2 my pedalboard unplugged. I generally just run my modulation and delay pedals with it. The clean channel is very good. You can't even hear my 15w Egnater when this beast is cranked. You can back off the distortion and get a decent Marshall sound. It will NEVER be a Fender on the clean but it is still really good. Laney, Vox sounds are very close to achievable with this amp but this amp really has a sound of it's own. Grunge, metal, blues, classic rock, this amp will be right at home. It goes very well with my pedals on the clean channel if that's the sound I want. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have owned it for 4 months now and it has not failed me yet. I have heard that this type amp is known for failure but I have not found that to be true at all with this amp. By what I have seen so far, I would not need a backup but I have not owned it quite long enough yet to state that for a fact. I am going to give it a 9 since I am very confident it will last AND I have an aquaintance that has used one for 7 years and he gigs about 2x per week and his is still blasting away. It is built well, it is heavy... Wouldn't want to carry this very far since it weighs just under 75 lbs. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing for about 19 years. This goes really well with any hard music. The sound is VERY GOOD. Much better than I expected for the $$ I paid for it. I run a BK Butler Tube driver, I have several distortion pedals including Boss DS-1, EHX Little Big Muff, Fulltone FullDrive 2, Eventide Modfactor, Line 6 DL4 delay, Boss DD7, Visual Sound H2O Chorus/Delay, script '74 Phase 90, VooDoo Labs Analog Chorus, VooDoo Labs MicroVibe, Boss FS-5U, and this amp works well with my sound. I have had a Fender Twin, and some Peavey amps, I own an Egnater Tweaker, Vox VT40+, Roland Cube 30, which some are very good in their own right, and a couple of them are great, but neither could get the sound this amp makes, not even close. I was trying to decide between a Vox AC, a 30w Laney, a Marshall, a 30w Peavey Classic, and this amp. This was several hundreds of $$ cheaper, it has the best bass of any of them... I get more bass at 2 than a Marshall does at 8 and it is cleaner, no rattle, and it is the best decision I could have made. I knew what I was getting with those amps cause I have played thru them before, this one was quite a surprise. I had heard it had incredible bass, and the reviews were right on that part, they were wrong on durability, well they are so far. If it were stolen, I would buy another but I would probably buy the 40w version, if it was all tube like this one, I have not done the research on it to know. This is simply the best amp I have ever owned. If you have the chance to snag one and you can get it for what I did (price above included shipping which at 75 lbs, couldn't have been cheap!) BUY IT! You won't regret it. I know I don't! // 10

More Ashdown reviews rating category latest review
+ Electric Blue 12-180 EVO II 9.3 Bass Amplifiers 09/01/2014