BlueTongue 50 Review

manufacturer: Ashton date: 02/22/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Ashton: BlueTongue 50
The Ashton BlueTongue50 pumps out full and rich sound at 50W, is easy to transport and looks absolutely fantastic.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Features: 9.5
 8.7
 9.7
 7.7
reviews (2) pictures (1) 12 comments vote for this gear:
BlueTongue 50 Reviewed by: eargasmicalist, on january 11, 2010

Purchased from: ebay

Features: I assume it's made in 2009 or so. Australian designed, unsure where made. Has clean channel with EQ and 'crunch' button, 'mean' channel with EQ and added 'filth' button/knob (ya gotta love the Aussies, haven't ya?). Channel switching via button or 4-button footswitch (extra, have ordered one, waiting for it). Separate spring reverb control. Has effects loop with level button, 4 & 8 ohm speaker outs, high & low inputs, standby & power switch, blue jewel LED for on. All tube amp with 2 x 12AX7 & 1 12AT7 preamp tubes, 2 x EL34 power tubes. Build quality is FANTASTIC at this price point as is the range of tones available. Reverb isn't too powerful but is more than adequate. I've played it barely cranked in my study at home, sounded fantastic to me. Am now selling my Vox VT50 & footswitch (which I must stress I LOVE) as I am a tube convert - not as flexible as my Vox but just has those added tones and harmonics only a full tube amp can do. Only had it a day but love it already! All my ratings will reflect the price of this baby... // 10

Sound: I use this with a PRS SE custom trem, stock humbuckers and a Vintage V100BB, again stock. Sounds awesome with both of them. Beautiful, warm and chiming cleans, crunchy OD through to verging on full on metal tones - it doesn't reach Mesa territory and I'm no expert but it sure has a 'Marshall' sound to it (the EL34's probably help!). I have to say I'm blown away by the build quality and tones from this thing for the price, it feels like it should cost a lot more. I haven't cranked it loud enough to test the clean headroom but at 50 watts all tube I reckon it has plenty. I also can't see me having much need for OD pedals as the mean & filthy channels are plenty obnoxious. Wahey! // 10

Reliability & Durability: It seems reliable but I've had it a day. I can't wait to gig with it. I'll post more comments down the line on this...the cabinet is solid, the tubes are protected by a metal grille at the back of the amp, the blue tolex covering is really good and distinctive, the chrome face panel and knobs look amazing. It really does outweigh its price point on this alone. // 10

Overall Impression: I play clean jazzy & jangly (clean bits of Opeth and Porcupine Tree, jazz, pop etc) to blues to rocky crunch to hard rock to thrash and screaming metal. It can do them all apart from the extreme high gain brutality - it doesn't quite have the bite of high end high gain amps - but then again I haven't cranked it loudly, so maybe it does. I'd be happy to play death metal or whatever just using the mean & filth channels. They stay defined even at full gain. Oh, and it cleans up BEAUTIFULLY when you roll your guitar vol back. I'm a happy man! Ashton should be killing the UK lower end tube market with amps like this. Get one! // 10

BlueTongue 50 Reviewed by: oldpunker, on february 22, 2011

Price paid: A$ 500

Purchased from: drummers heaven

Features: Do you know what year the amp was made in? 2010. Very versatile amp. Very loud clean. The distortion channel is pretty average but I use a MXR eq, a bigmuff, Boss metalcore and a fuzzface. As I said the filth channel wont have you pumping out Marshall tones. Has effects but you need the pedal..around $140. No headphone jack only a hi and low input. Has enough features for my liking, a very tough and nice looking valve/tube amp. I use this amp to practice at home, pretty small room, a very good practice amp. // 9

Sound: Using a Epiphone Les Paul Custom with active Seymour Duncan picks, modded nut and tuners. Suits my style (stoner, heavy rock) to a tee. The bottom end is fkn amazing. Yeah it is bloody loud I have only had it to halfway before your ears start ringing. Clean channel is clear as even loud though I get some crackling ewvery now and then but I think one of my leads is fked. The distortin channel is more a fuzzing type of sound then a metal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is a solid and heavy amp and would suit the riggers of gigs. It could handle a gig in a small room without a PA. Medium room would need to be micd up. Pending on what your bass player plays through and what syle of music. If your bass player is playing through a big f--k off quad you will be left floudering not micd up. I haven't played live with it but I believe it could absolutely be loud enough for pretty big rooms(say 300 people)size. With a good PA. I also reckon it would be a gem to record with as the bottom end is fantastic. No it hasn't broken down and I've had it for 4 months. // 9

Overall Impression: I play Stoner rock so yeah you need the pedals which it handles easy. Get a equalizer pedal to double the bottom end..it kicks ass. I have been playing on and off for 15 years. I would buy it agin if it was stolen. How you could lose it I dunno you'd be a dumb ass. I love the bottom end sound and the price for a tube amp was amazing. In other words go and try one you will buy it for sure at this price range it should hold its price for good. A VERY good ivestment. // 9

More Ashton reviews rating category latest review
+ AG 131 7.4 Electric Guitars 05/29/2012