GA10 Review

manufacturer: Ashton date: 08/28/2006 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Ashton: GA10
A great little amp for beginners, the GA10 delivers 10 watts RMS output which is plenty if you're just starting out and you don?t need the neighbours to hear. Turn up the gain controls for a dirty, distorted sound, or plug in your headphones for a private practice session.
 4.4
 5.4
 3.3
reviews (3) 7 comments vote for this gear:
GA10 Reviewed by: *'-'*, on october 26, 2005

Features: Ashton GA10 guitar amplifier. That 10 in the name says it all. That right 10 watts. Saying that, this is still a great practice amp. I use it in my bedroom and it's got plenty of power to fullfil these duties. Although I play mostly punk music, this little beauty has enough to keep players of other genres such as classic rock, pop, metal and country happy. The most disapointing thing about the amp is its absence of reverb, but hey, you get what you pay for. The single channel is fine for me as channel switching is not something I would indulge in anyway. Another disapointment is the feedback. It has a large amount of feedback for such a small amp but it is bearable. Other features include headphone jack, and storage room in the back (for picks, strap, whammy bar, etc). // 8

Sound: I use a guitar with 1 humbucker and 2 single-coils with this amp. It performs best with the humbucker selected and with the guitar volume right up. It is well suited to my style of punk, but as I stated earlier, it is good for any style. Although it is only 10 watts, this amp gets pretty loud in confined spaces and has been subject to more noise complaints than I can count on to hands. The amp can make a variety of sounds. It is at it best with the distortion up, or right down with a clean sound. In between is a bit of a disapointment. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This amp is very reliable, it hasn't let me down once. I definatley wouldn't use it at a big gig full stop, because of its small size. But at a small gig, say at a small get together, I would have no fear about the amp breaking down. // 10

Overall Impression: OK, I admit it. I bought this amp because it was the cheapest one I could find. But am I disapointed? No. It is perfect for beginners like me (I've been playing for 4 months), and it works fine with my Ashton Ag131 guitar. If my amp was stolen, I wouldn't buy it again, but I certainly would make sure it was covered in my insurance so I wouldn't have to. What do I hate? the lack of reverb. What do I love? The budget price. So to all the beginners out there seeking a new amp, buy this one. // 8

GA10 Reviewed by: druz15_UG, on november 22, 2005

Purchased from: Beggs Music Store (NZ)

Features: This is an okay amp for beginners but I've been playing 4-5 years now and it's only a 0 Watt and doesn't even have channels just a gain and volume knob with tone settings. It's okay for the style I play (hard rock/blues rock). I wish it had reverb and a seperate channel. I just use this amp for practice and I'm replacing it soon with a 120watt Crate amp. It doesn't really have enough power and I've never used it in a gig. // 7

Sound: I'm using an Epiphone Les Paul 100 (Check out my review) on it which sounds ok, and it suits my style well. the high distortion setting sounds quite good and the clean setting is okay but in between is pretty average. I thought the distortion was good but then I added a DigiTech Grunge pedal and the difference is insane! // 7

Reliability & Durability: I would probably use it in a small gig (e.g. like a solo blues gig in a little cafe or something) but never in a band gig because it's just too small to compete with the drummer's noise (mind you my rhythm guitarist only has a 15 watt Mini Cube). The wire in the back snapped because I was trying to fix a loose connection (actually I was trying to break it on purpose so my parents would buy me a bigger one). // 4

Overall Impression: Been playing 4-5 years and I also own an Epiphone LP100 and a DigiTech Grunge pedal (hoping to get some sick wah soon) this amp came in a starter pack with a crappy Ashton guitar (which I sold to buy the LP100) If it were stolen, I wouldn't care because my parents have bought me a new amp which they're gonna give to me after exams. // 6

GA10 Reviewed by: tanglewood rock, on august 28, 2006

Purchased from: gak.co.uk

Features: The amp was made in 2003-2004 and the amp play alright for my style of music everything! But since the amp is not that much quality if you crank it up you will blow the spaeker out like I did. But mind you it is only 10 watts. It only has one channel. It has no effects loops, but it does have a headphone jack! It would be good if it had an effect loop, I never really use distrotion because it does not sound that good on this amp. I use this amp at home for my ibenze electric guitar just for practice. But this amp has no guts or power it hasn't got a mean tune I have blown the spaeker out on the one that I own because it was not loud enough even when it was cranked right up! // 3

Sound: I use a ibeneze electric and 2 pickups at the front on in the middle and one at the back. It suits my music style just fine like rock, jazz, classical, classial rock etc. It is not noisy on any style or environments and the clean channel can become very distorted well very distroted at any setting at high volumes. The distrotion sould like crap! You may as well leave it on the cleasn channel and it will sound more distorted. // 2

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't depend on it even at home. Well it is not big enough to go on a gig with but I would only rely on it at very low sounds! Well I have blowen the speaker ut on it the 5th week I first started playing guitar and I never neglected it ever! Just lack of quality! // 1

Overall Impression: For my style of music I don't think it fits at all but I will do for very beginniers well at least for 5 weeks. I not impressed with this amp at all, I have been playing for 2 years. If it was stolen I would definitly buy another amp. I love nothing about it and I hate everyting about it. I own a tangle wood acoustic eletcric guitar, which it sounds like crap on the amp anyway. // 1

More Ashton reviews rating category latest review
+ AG 131 7.4 Electric Guitars 05/29/2012