GA100FX Review

review (1) 7 comments vote for this gear:
GA100FX Reviewed by: shredder408, on july 07, 2009

Price paid: A$ 300

Purchased from: Musos Corner, Newcastle

Features: I'm pretty sure this amp was made in 2007. It is 100W solid state with 2 channels: clean, and dirty, which gives you a good rock sound, and an optional boost on the dirty channel which gives it a realy agressive metal tone. It has a footswitch which I actualy plan to buy in a couple of weeks when I get back down to musos corner. It has an effects loop with chorus, flanger, phaser, tremlo and auto wah, with a master volume, depth and speed for these. There is a delay effect which has a tap button for the delay speed, and a delay time dial. It is a 2x12 speaker set up with celestion rocket 50s, which I was surprised to find were quite good for how cheap they are. It has indepented channel equalizers and volume dials. It has master reverb, volume and the effects loop is also master. There is 2 gain dials: 1 for the dirty channel, and 1 for the boost gain channel. It has a speaker output on the rear pannel. // 10

Sound: I use a B\.C\. Rich KK wartribe with an EMG 81/85 setup. This amp has a good variety: from fully reverb saturated blues style right through to full deathcore. I play metal mainly, and love the sound of the boost channel, its a realy agressive tone. Its quite loud, being 100W, which I know alot of people argue isnt enough to gig properly, but its fine. To be honest, I've never cranked the clean channel so I dont know if it gets distorted. The distortion on dirty is a realy grungy/rock sound, and can be dialed in to do most rock/grunge/hard rock sounds. The boost channel is brutal, its very agressive and like I said before, can handle up to deathcore/deathmetal styles. The only thing that it lacks is a crunch on the clean channel, but i would never use it so it doesn't bother me. The speakers to have a tiny bit of feedback when you crank the boost channel, and when you turn the effects up as far as they go it buzzes, which I might get checked out. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I belive it would be fine at a gig without a backup. Its very sturdy built and ive never had a problem with it. Even the front grill is made of steel. Never had problems with dials, jack outputs/inputs or speakers. Also being solid state you don't have the worry of breaking tubes. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal: from Three Days Grace style post hardcore through to bring me the horizon. It suits ir perfectly. I have been playing for 4 years, and own a B\.C\. Rich KK wartribe, Zoom G1X, several Ernie Ball leads and hopefully I will soon own the footswitch to this amp:P. If it were stolen of lost I would buy another one for sure, I love it, best solid state amp I've ever used. I love the amp as a whole, and my fav feature is the boost channel's distortion for sure. I compared it to several other mid range solid state amps, and there realy was no decision. I wish it had dual inputs sometimes for band jamming, but otherwise I can't complain. // 10

More Ashton reviews rating category latest review
+ AG 131 7.4 Electric Guitars 05/29/2012