GA50 Review

manufacturer: Ashton date: 03/22/2008 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Ashton: GA50
With a booming 12 Power Force speaker, there's no mistaking what you're getting in this little black box. Plug into this amp and you've got 50W of raw sound on tap. The newly redesigned pre-amp retains Ashton's quality sound and now offers you even more versatility, with 2 channels allowing you the option to play with either a clean or dirty' sound.
review (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
GA50 Reviewed by: Towner_45, on march 22, 2008

Purchased from: Macron Music

Features: Don't know what year the amp was made in but I got mine Christmas 2006. I mainly play power metal, thrash etc and this amp by itself does a terrible job, needs an effects pedal. There are two channels, clean and dirty, comes with an optional footswitch, no effects looping but has a headphone jack. Overall this amp would be alright for the bare beginner but not for anyone higher than that. // 4

Sound: I use an Ibanez RG550 anniversary edition guitar with a Seymour Duncan JB in the Bridge position, a good guitar and pickup but even with that it sounds like a constipated cow on the dirty channel, however the clean channel is passable. The amp doesn't suit my playing style, thrash, heavy power metal, heavy metal and I require an effects pedal to even get a mediocre sound out of the amp. On the dirty channel, it is very noisy when the gain passes 5 and the gain channel cannot produce a decent distortion at all.This is why I use a DigiTech RP50 effects pedal through the clean channel. Another problem with the amp is that it picks up the radio at times and also makes a loud clicking noise when a light is turned on or off. // 3

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't allow myself to play this in public as it would be too embarrassing for me as the sound is terrible. The only good thing about this amp is that it could probably take a beating (which is what I am planning to do when I can afford a better amp). // 4

Overall Impression: The style of music that I like to play, metal, thrash, power metal cannot be handle by such an inferior amp such as the Ashton GA50. I have been playing for 3 years and can't wait to be able to buy a better amp. If it were stolen I would feel sorry for the person Who stole it and then use this as an excuse to buy a better amp. I wish I wasn't such a n00b when my parents bought me this amp for christmas 2 years ago. I hope that in the near future, I can buy a proper amp that will suit my needs far better than this poor excuse for an amp has done for me so far. // 2

More Ashton reviews rating category latest review
+ AG 131 7.4 Electric Guitars 05/29/2012