AT-100 Review

manufacturer: B-52 date: 05/16/2013 category: Guitar Amplifiers
B-52: AT-100
The AT-100 is a 3-channel, all-tube, tri-mode rectified beast that gives you unparalleled tone and astounding versatility.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Features: 8.8
 8.7
 8.9
 8.4
reviews (8) pictures (2) 43 comments vote for this gear:
AT-100 Reviewed by: bmanchego, on september 15, 2008

Features: The features on this amp keep everything simple, you can basically plug in, do a little tweaking on the EQ and shred away! It has three channels. Channel 1 is clean, very nice clean channel, very warm especially on the Tube A. You can also go for a more Vintage sound depending on what style of music you are playing. Channel 2 is a great distortion channel. I use it more for soloing with the contour control you can dial in a great lead tone with searing notes. Channel 3 is another distortion channel and I use this one for my rythmn channel. I play in a heavy metal band so this channel is perfect. You can get killer low end and at high volumes if you ease the gain back it will cut right through the mix. It also has a master volume, reverb, and low res which is very nice to have. You can choose between 4, 8 and 16 ohm ratings which is very nice depeding on what cab you have or what type of range you are going for. I put mine on 16 ohms and run mono but have been testing it running it at 8 ohms stereo and 4 ohms. I think I get a better range with the 16 ohms. My only gripe about this amp is that the distortion channels have to share an EQ and that the amp does not have a built in fan, but those complaints are very minumal and buying a little fan and an EQ pedal would basically solve those problems. Overall I love this amp and would recommend to anyone if they are looking to get a killer tone out of an amp but don't want to doesn't have the money to spend big bucks on a head then this the amp for you. Killer tone and you can get a half stack around $1200.00 USD. Other features include having the option to choose between Solid State, Hybrid, or Tube Amp, Line out for recording with it's own level, High and Low inputs, effects loop with own footswitch selector, and a 4 pedal footswitch with extra long cables (very nice) for running it anywhere on stage. // 9

Sound: I use RG's to play on this amp, one with Seymour duncans and one with EMG's. I can get any sound out of this amp between my guitars and the amps incredible settings. I play heavy metal and progressive music and it can handle everything. You might need a noise gate on channel 3 but if you kick the gain back a little bit you actually don't have any problems. You can basically play Vintage or classic rock all the way to Metal. Jazz, blues, funk. really anything. The clean channel is truly amazing, one of the best I've heard, very warm. You can get awesome metal tones through the distortion channel, no need for a distortion pedal at all unless your going for overkill, which I don't recommend. I really like having two distortion channels, one for rythmn and one for soloing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have had this amp for 2 years now and have had no problems at all. The only thing is the outer material is kind of easy to damage sometimes if you move it around alot, it's quite soft material, but besides that, it very durable. That is just cosmetic details though. I really like the color and the face of the amp as well as the shiny silver logos. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this amp is great for any player playing any type of music, you can dial this amp in for any style. I have been playing nearly 10 years and have owned several different amps including a Mesa Boogie Nomad, and I would compare this amp to that one anyday. I use a Crybaby from Hell and a Delay pedal and just rip away. I definitly would buy this amp again if needed, for the money, you can't beat this amp, you are going to get killer tone for thousands less than other high end amps. // 10

AT-100 Reviewed by: Stringslinger25, on january 28, 2010

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: This amp has all the features of amps costing 10 times as much. First of all its made in the USA. It has 12 tubes, with an ALL TUBE signal path. Tri mode rectifier. 2 channels, but the overdrive has 2 independant gain and contour settings. So its almost like having 3 channels. The footswitch has 4 buttons for channel control, reverb and effects loop. I don't use the effects loop because I never got the input balence to sound even, but I run my whole pedal board in front on the High input and they sound great. The Reverb is this amp's only downfall, which is why I gave it a 9 in features. It sucks. Its hardly there. It can be switched between 4, 8, and 16 Ohms for different cab use. Also has a ground lift switch if your power source is not grounded. And at 100 Watts it has more power than I have ever needed. // 9

Sound: Any sound you want, you get. I have played through a LOT of amps. I worked at a music store for almost 2 years and i played every amp that came through there. And every time I like the sound of my AT-100 better. The clean is crystal clear and defined. You can get a warm Vintage clean or bright and sparkling with the use of the bright switch. The distortion is amazing. With the countour setting OUT you get a very warm classic Drive sound similar to the old Marshall Plexi's. With it IN you get a dirty raging modern distortion. The distortion is very rich and saturated. The kind you can only get with real tube distortion. No pedal can come close. And the rectifier does make a difference. Class A gives you a warmer tone. A/B is tighter with more output, and Solid State it cold and tight. One thing I have to mention. Mine has been completely re-tubed with high end tubes. The stock tubes are CRAP. The sound difference with new tubes is night and day. With the new tubes, I took the head into Guitar Center and tried it side by side with a Brand New one, and there was no comparison. So if you get one, re tube it quickly. Thats how to get the most out of it. Listen to my sound clips on my profile, the only amp I used is the AT-100. I use guitars with Seymour Duncan, and EMG pickups with this amp. // 10

Reliability & Durability: You wanna talk about reliablilty? 2 years ago I was practicing with my band in the winter time, and we played for about 4 hours so the tubes were very hot. When I was packing up I saw that it was snowing really heavy. I didn't want any snow to fall into the top vents of the head and crack the hot tubes so I was running to my car with it. I slipped on the ice and the head went flying and landed in a snow bank. I freaked out. I cleaned all of the snow off as best I could but a alot got into the amp itself. I let it dry out for a whole week before trying it. When I plugged it in I was shocked. There was NOTHING wrong with it or broken. That sealed the deal in my mind. You try that with a $2500 Marshall amp and you'll get an expensive paper wieght. So I have no issues with the durability of the AT-100. // 10

Overall Impression: I truly beleive that there is no Amp in the same price range that even comes close. I play rock, altrnative, blues, metal, and all kinds of covers. So I need an amp that is versitile. The AT-100 just fits every time. I also use the matching AT412 cab which is great. One of the best guitar cabs I have ever used. I would get another of these amps in a heartbeat. I mean I have thought of selling it many times just because I don't need an amp this big, but everytime I plug in and hear it, I can't part with it. Its perfect. It has all the high end bite of a Marshall, but the low end of a Mesa. It has such power and clarity even when cranked. I have never had this amp up past half of its volume even at the biggest show I have played. With the quality, features, price, and above all AMAZING SOUND of this amp, you can't go wrong. // 10

AT-100 Reviewed by: TDAJGuitarist, on august 31, 2007

Features: The Amp has three channels: clean, gain 1, and gain 2 (can be operated by footswitch or on amp). Has standard tube reverb. Can pick between two types of tube combos or a solid state for tone versatility. Has countour and resolution knobs for better tone control. Is switchable from 4, 8, and 16 omhs which makes it work with almost any cab. // 7

Sound: I use an Ibanez ARX and an Ibanez RG with stock Ibanez Pickups. The first thing about the sound of this amp is it sounds really great when clean, it's one of the best sounding amps on a clean setting that I have ever heard which really supprised me, and even more suppriseing is that it really stays clean even at high volumes. The Reverb is decent but not amazing. Gain 1 is more of a punk or old school Metal gain tone depending on how you set it up. Think, Iron Maiden and The Sex Pistols. Gain 2 is much more heavy. Something you would use for a more heavy metal tone, Very crisp sounding and has decent bottom end as long as you turn the knobs right. Gain 2 is closer to my style tone{Hard Rock, Metal}but it's not quite beefy enough for the style of music my band plays {Hardcore, Metalcore} So for the band I keep it on clean and use a DigiTech Grunge pedal for distortion and just use the amps regular tube distortion outside of the band. That setup is perfect for me. The other thing is that this amp is way loud, perfect for shows, but a bit much when your by yourself. It also is very peticularly when on gain 2 so a noise reductor is highly recommended. I use the standard Boss Noise Suppresor and it takes away all the unwanted sound and leaves the sounds you want, Great pedal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Its very heavy on one end but light on the other which makes it hard to carry around. I have only had this head for about a month now but it hasn't failed me yet! I haven't heard of anybodys getting screwed up nor have I seen any in the repair department of guitar center. So I am assuming they are sturdy amps. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing for 4 years and I have had 2 years of lessons. The cabs I have are blank cabs with Custom Celestion Speakers. I want to get Celestion V30's, but the Customs sound good and really work with the B-52 head well. I play all sorts of styles, and this amp is good for just about any style except really really heavy stuff. Unfortunatly for me, My band is a Hardcore band so I need to use pedals to boost the distortion but all around it's a great amp. If I had the money I would buy a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier. But this is much cheeper and still a great amp, it's actually in alott of ways, Simalar to the Mesa Boogie amps. It's just not quite as awesome. // 9

AT-100 Reviewed by: Danelectro2112, on september 03, 2007

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: The B-52 AT-100 is a truely versatile head. It has two channels (clean/distortion), each of which has the standard treble/mid/bass controls, as well as a master control for volume, low resolution, and reverb. The truely useful aspect of the distortion channel is the presence of the alternate gain select; the distortion channel has two volume controls, two mids, two trebles, and two basses. This, in essence, allows you to develop two completely unique distortions and choose between them at will through the footswitch, whether you need a solo boost or a mellower rhythm tone. A contour control offers additional control, especially useful in modeling a metal-based sound or likewise a more meaty sound. The clean channel is easily manipulated as well, with the standard trio of knobs as well as a bright Switch. Another extremely useful feature is the effects loop; any normal effects pedal/sound processor/modeler can be looped through the back of the amp and bypasses via the footswitch. This control is extremely useful, and as long as you don't own a gross number of pedals, can nearly elliminate clutter out in front of the amp. On top of the aforementioned features, the player has the option of selecting 4, 8, or 16 ohm capability, as well as which tube combos they wish to utilize (solid state, tube A, or AB). One has the option of a high or low input as well. // 9

Sound: While it may take a little while to grow accustomed to the EQ aspects of the AT-100, the tones that come out of this particular head are fantastic. The clean can be jazzy, crisp, or crunchy (with the right guitar/pickups). High volumes are of little variability, which is great for loud scenarios. The distortion capability is even better than the clean's, and perhaps this heads strong point. It's extremely versatile, as mentioned above, and it puts out a distortion that stands up against the best of them. It produces especially desirable classic rock and metal tones. There is really no need to use any sort of distortion pedal one while this head has such good distorion modeling. While on the subject of pedals however, the effects loop offers input and output leveling controls in the back to offer control over the strength of your effects in relation to the standard amp sounds. All this said, it is true that the second gain can be a bit noisy, and some sort of remedy may be in your best interest if playing at higher volumes, but high quality cables and new top of the line tubes may help out. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's heavy, around 60 lbs., so you'll definately want to be careful while moving it. It's also without an incorporated fan, so it will heat up, but this has never caused me any problems, there's a good bit of natural ventilation through the openings on top of and along the front and back of the head. I've had the AT-100 for a few months, and it's never failed me, neither has the AT-412 that I run it through (I highly recommend the AT-412 too by the way, as it was designed to complement the AT-100). The skin of the head will scuff if you're not careful while moving it, but regardless of superficials, it's a sturdy piece of equipment. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for 5, approaching 6 years, primarily classic and progressive rock, but also a good number of other genres, really anything that tickles my fancy. This amp has yet to fall short of my needs. As well as the AT-100 and the AT-412, I use a Les Paul Studio with stock pickups and run a DigiTech RP200 through the effects loop. All praise aside, I do wish the leveling controls for the effects loop were a bit more user friendly (the dials are small, out of the way, and you'll have to play with them whenever you use a different effect or mess with the amp's EQ. Also, it would be nice if you could assign different contour settings for each distortion, which you can nearly do with the gain buttons on the amp and the single contour knob, but it is quite difficult to get right. These two complaints however, are very minor. Overall, the AT-100 is a great head. It's got the tone capabilities of a far more expensive amp (the benefit of buying a lesser-known brand) and will fit the needs of players in numerous genres. Highly recommended! // 9

AT-100 Reviewed by: TT-B52, on may 16, 2013

Features: I purchased my AT-100 head and B-52 slanted cab in 2006 for $900 w/tax at Guitar Center. This is a VERY versatile and dynamic all tube amp. It has a great range of tonal adjustments and can sound great with shimmering clean overtones to downright drenched in gain. It comes with a nice foot switch to change channels and to turn reverb on/off. I really like the overall look of the AT-100 with nicely weighted knurled knobs, and the aluminum front plate with cool blue internal lighting. The slanted cab is nicely made and frankly loos and feels like most other 4x12 cabs. Granted the speakers are not higher end Celestions or other well known speakers, but for the price they are pretty darn good all on their own. The cabinet is made of 13 ply Baltic Birch, so it's not cheap, it's pretty darn solid and has great low end extension. The 4-12" speakers are non brand, but they are nice and tight and clear. If they can be faulted, then it might be that they handle the amps power too well and don't lend much "break up" to the overall sound, as some people may prefer. To me they sound just fine, though I've not tried the head with a different cab and speakers. A buddy of mine said he tried my AT-100 head with an old late '60s-early '70s Marshall cab and really liked the sound. // 9

Sound: My 2 main guitars are a 1991 Fender American Strat Plus Deluxe with a red burst finish, with Wilkinson roller nut, Schaller locking tuners, and a trio of Lace sensors Red, Silver, and Blue. My other guitar is a 2006 Schecter C-1 Classic with PAF style humbuckers. With either guitar the B-52 let's the natural sound of each guitar come through. The Strat gets that bright clean shimmer on clean settings, and sweet and tight attack with more distorted tones, and signing leads with lots of saturated gain. The Schecter has the classic humbucker oooomph, and it sounds best with very high gain to let the sustaining notes and heavy chords punch through. The versatility of this amps settings is very very wide and can get tones like many other classic tube amps. I can get nice clean shimmering chords similar to Fender tube amps with plenty of tube overtones that define a tube amp versus solid state. Solid state amps can be very clean, but often they sound clinically clean as they lack those upper harmonic tones that only tubes can give. At the biggest gain settings, using the "contour" knob this amp is in the realm of HOT Marshall amps, but to me it's got the more guttural punch and attack like a Mesa Boogie rectifier, and that's what really sold me on this amp. There aren't many amps that can do a smooth moderately distorted blues tone, and then light it up with monster gain like a Boogie. Another beauty factor is that this amp can maintain a great tone over a wide range of volume levels without losing the tone you just setup at a lower volume. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I never used this amp to gig. It's strictly a stationary set up in a home studio and rehearsal space, so I can't comment on how well it will do on the road. I've heard and read from others that if you want to gig with this amp it's best to have a tech open it up and go through all the wiring and reinforce all the connections, then it hold up as well as any other tube amp. Besides, a tube amp really needs to be moved around with care even if it's a totally hand wired nearing $3000 Plus Vox AC. Tubes can be robust, but in a sense they are also fragile, after all, they are made of glass and that's not something you just bash around. My AT-100 has had no problems at all. It's quiet, no hum, no noise. More often than not, humming and other odd noises are not coming from the amp, it's usually coming from the guitar, cords, pedals, and all those other interconnect cables. If it's the amp, then it'll hum before you even plus anything into it. If it's quiet when fully on and nothing is plugged in, and then there's noise once you plug in, then looks to something other than the amp. Many people replace the stock tubes. I bought a whole new set of JJ's and some Sovtek tubes, but I never installed them as the amp sounds great as is. I might put the new tubes in just to try them out and hear what changes come about. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a very wide range of musical styles which means a wide range of tones form clean and light finger picking to hear the nuances of flesh on metal, to distorted electric blues, slightly broken dirty-clean fusion jazz, all the way to full bathed in high gain saturation. I do tend to really enjoy that ultra high gain tone while playing those other styles of music. I just love the added character of high gain while playing jazzy chords or blues riffs and solo's. It's different but I enjoy it. Over all this is one hell of a sweet sounding all tube amp that has an impressive arsenal of tonal altering ammo. It's an overlooked and under appreciated amp, and I think it's mainly because it sounds so much like the much more expensive recognizable names like Mesa, Marshall, Soldano, Fender, etc, but it's so much lower in cost. It's hard for people to accept and harder to appreciate the sounds and tones this amp can give at such a lower cost. And that makes for negative comments that attribute so much negativity to the B-52 amps. Yeah, they could be built a bit stronger, but the the prices would go up. Frankly, B-52 should consider a more robustly built line of amps to quell the fears of gigging musicians. Charge a bit more for the extra work, but make sure to keep the B-52 sound, which is easily comparable and right up there with all those other amp names. // 9

AT-100 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 25, 2011

Purchased from: Player's Guitar (used)

Features: 3 channels, tri mode rectifier, reverb, separate EQ for clean and distorted channels, and an effects loop. The footswitch has four buttons; one for channel switching (between clean and distorted), one for gain switching (high gain or low gain), one for the reverb, and one for the effects loop. I mainly keep it on the tube AB rectifier mode; it's a nice balance between the warmer tube sound and the tighter SS rectifier mode. I don't use the SS mode much but I guess it's good to have in case the rectifier tube Burns out. The only thing I could possibly want more from this amp is a separate EQ for the high and low gain channels, but for what I paid, I'm satisfied. // 10

Sound: I use a PRS CE24 with the stock PRS pickups; the guitar itself can do everything from blues to metal. I'd say this amp complements that pretty well. I keep the master volume cranked and adjust the channel volumes as needed so I get some nice power tube distortion along with preamp gain. I like to use the low gain channel with the coil splitter setting on my guitar for a nice sort of bluesy tone; depending on the EQ and gain settings, you can go anywhere from Buddy Guy to BB King. On the treble pickup I get sort of an Angus Young sound, so I like to use this channel for a lot of classic rock. The high gain channel is just great. Certainly not the best on the market, but it gets close. Combined with my Morley wah and some decent delay, I feel myself getting closer to that perfect lead tone I've always been searching for. It reacts great to my wah pedal; I've had a few people tell me it sounds sort of Cantrell-esque. And I almost forgot to mention: METAL! The amount of gain on this amp is absolutely insane. The bass response is very punchy, and the highs cut through great. It's got a mid scoop feature, but I don't like the idea of neutering my tone, so I haven't touched that particular knob. The clean channel is where I was really impressed. If you've never heard the song "Broken Wings" by Alter Bridge, go look it up right now. That's what the clean channel sounds like. Nice and smooth with great lows. I find the bright switch tends to make the amp sound kind of slappy, so I don't really use that particular feature. My only real complaint is the clean channel tends to clip at high volumes (5 and up on the channel volume with the master cranked); when going from a smooth fingerpicked part to power chords I tend to get hit by a sudden wall of bass frequencies, making it impossible to hear the actual notes I'm playing no matter how easy my attack is. Overall the amp is a little noisy; I get a lot of buzzing when I'm not playing, particularly on the clean channel, and the high gain channel lately has been a bit more squealy than I'd like. Also, the amp was really dark sounding when I got it, so I swapped the stock 12at7 in the PI position for a 12ax7 to brighten it up. Other than that, though, good sound for the price. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is where I get pretty nervous. I have had this amp break down before, though I'm not sure whether or not this was due to neglect. I bought it used, and it was pretty clear that the guy who had it before me never so much as changed the tubes. Anyway, one day during practice I just heard a pop and suddenly no sound was coming from my amp. I wasn't even pushing it at the time; I was on the clean channel at a fairly low volume. Took it to a tech, and he said there's a lot of cheap connectors on the PCB; turns out B52 used push-in connectors rather than just soldering the wires in. He said between the cheap connectors and the fact that so much STUFF was crammed on one board, there was a huge arc at some point which jumped across the board and fried some of the connections. Luckily enough, no components were actually damaged, but I still ended up paying $100 for the repair. Probably a contributing factor in this was the tendency of this amp to heat up to ridiculous temperatures after an hour of use; without a fan installed, the knobs closest to the power tubes were literally unbearable to touch after a while. Anyway, it works fine now, but I can't help but feel a little paranoid at shows. I always keep a spare head with me just in case. // 4

Overall Impression: Overall, it's a good value for what I paid. Having used mainly solid state effects before buying this amp, the improvement was simply eargasmic. If you think delay and wah is almost one pedal too many, this amp should suit your needs just fine. Not the best out there, but certainly good for the price. The only thing that worries me is reliability. I'm seriously considering trading this head in for one with less features and better construction; when it comes down to it, I'd be fine with two channels, one rectifier setting and no reverb as long as my amp could make it through the show. // 8

AT-100 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 22, 2012

Features: This amp has a pretty good range of sounds and channels, with 2 distortion channels (shared eq), and a really nice clean channel. The reverb is absolutely terrible, and barely existent even when cranked up. A few of the stand out features here is the Bright switch on the clean channel, and then the Low-res knob. The Bright button totally transforms the clean, giving it a really warm, clear, and well, bright tone. Perfect for anything from technical jazzy picking songs to strummed chords. In fact, I don't even turn it off. It sounds dull and lifeless with out it. The Low-res knob is great for heavily distorted, chunky palm muting. Add a little of this with low tunings and it really starts to rumble those palm muted chugs that you can feel in your chest. Also, this thing is plenty loud. I find that turning it up a little less than half way across all channels is enough to be heard clearly over drums, bass, and the other guitarist in my bands relatively small practice studio. // 8

Sound: I usually play my Schecter C-1 Classic with Seymour Duncan Jazz p-ups (an uncharacteristic guitar for metal, but it's just too beautiful) through this amp, and they make a pretty good match, although that combination makes for some pretty annoying feedback at mid to high volumes without a noise gate. With out one it can be almost impossible to mute the strings and let it be silent with out turning the guitars volume knob down first. At first I was plenty satisfied with the distortion for the brutal/technical death metal I was playing, but over time I started to find it a bit lacking. Coupled with the fact that I lost the foot pedal for it, and couldn't get a replacement, I eventually just started running a POD HD300 through the clean channel most of the time. B52 had already discontinued this amp by the time I needed the foot switch replaced. Now, with a real band and playing shows almost constantly, the POD is a necessity. Luckily the clean channel on this thing is crystal clear, and has good flexibility. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I bought this amp in 2006 or 2007, played with it constantly for 2 years, let the amp sit in my garage for about 2 years, then broke it back out when I joined my current band. Since then I have used it 2-3 times a week for band practice and usually 1-4 shows a month all over southern California. This amp has been completely rock solid. It's still using all the original tubes, has never been taken into a shop or worked on AT ALL. This thing is a beast. The only damage is one of the two cabinet line outs was pushed through and broken by someone shoving my amp against the wall. Luckily I make due with only one cab, but it would be nice to use that other line out. Also, the faux leather on the cab was torn pretty badly on the side, but some black duct tape fixed it up nicely. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing guitar for about 8 years, and have had this amp for 5. It has served me very well in that time. I really don't know why they discontinued it. My only complaints are: - The reverb is so terrible, I thought mine was broken, but all the reviews have mentioned it. - The distortion sounds good, but is a tad lacking for the blackened death metal that I play. - It gets pretty hot. Sometimes I can barely hold my hand over one of the top vents. If it were lost or stolen, I honestly would look for something else, but if I found one in good shape for cheap, it wouldn't be a bad choice. It's really too bad that this amp and just about everything else B-52 makes has been discontinued. It has been nothing but reliable for me. Although, now that I've written jinxed it in this review, I bet a couple tubes are going to burn out when I turn it on for band practice tonight. Check out my band at www.youtube.com/gravespellmetal. // 8

AT-100 Reviewed by: gwugluud, on august 29, 2012

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: I have humbucker and single-coil guitars, all have a good sound from this. Very versatile. Can ape a Dual Rec! Or sound more Marshally. Clean channel is 89% as good as a Twin Reverb. The amp is a steal. I've never turned the amp up past 3 or 4. Original tubes. Eats efx and dirt pedals like a king. For a while, the reverb wasn't working, then one day it was there again. (?). This would be a good amp for the scientists at McMurdo Sound, Antarctica to kill time with when they're off the clock, because this amp is HOTTER than HOLY HELL. I have to leave it alone 5 months out of the year, because I live in west Texas. I've got other good amps. // 9

Sound: Sounds great. Distortion can get very brutal. No notable noise; not any more than what you'd expect from a tube amp while using no noise gate. Suits us fab. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Had it going on 10 years I think. I mentioned the reverb issue, which resolved itself, for now. Sharp looks; I like the styling, the appearance. // 9

Overall Impression: I've got JCMs, a 6505+, AC30, 3120, Classic 30. A few good solid-states, incl another B-52 head, an LG-100A, a Fender Frontman 212R, Marshall AVT-20. I have a Carvin X100B head, but it hasn't worked since I moved. It's an 80s model I bought around 2002. It must have got jostled a little too much. If it were stolen, I'd consider replacing it, but I have plenty of amps. Great clean, excellent dirt and mid-dirt tones. I use a 4x12 with V-30s, and I have a Peavey Windsor 4x12, which, shockingly, sounds just as good as the V-30-equipped one. Very Brit and "Hendrix-brittle" in the treb and hi-mids. I consider that good. We come from late-70s punk. Ramones, Electric Eels... Also mid-to-late 60s hard rock. Blue Cheer, Cream, Stones, Seeds... // 9

More B-52 reviews rating category latest review