AT-112 Review

manufacturer: B-52 date: 04/14/2010 category: Guitar Amplifiers
B-52: AT-112
The B-52 AT-112 60-Watt 1x12" Tube Combo amp's foundation is outstanding tone, versatility and power. Each channel, clean and overdrive, has its own set of gain, treble, mid and bass equalization controls for maximum flexibility.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.2
 7.2
 7.8
 6.6
reviews (6) 12 comments vote for this gear:
AT-112 Reviewed by: chocolame, on july 18, 2007

Features: The B-52 AT 112 is a great overall amp. The AT-112 is a tube amp which makes a big difference coming from solid state. I have had my amp setup to sound like the following bands: Metallica, Guns N' Roses, Rammstein, Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Rush, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, Ozzy Osbourne, Kalmah, Iron Maiden, Korn, Atreyu, Megadeth, ZZ Top, Cacophony, Pantera, Alice Cooper, Slayer, Rush, Kiss, Boston, Jimi Hendrix, Nirvana, Judas Priest, Agalloch, Children Of Bodom, and Anthrax. It sounded great will all of those styles of music. The AT-112 features two channels: Overdrive and Clean. It comes with a 2-position footswitch: channel and reverb. You can control the amount of reverb from the amp. The amp has All-tube preamp/poweramp signal path which I found to be very nice. On the overdrive channel you can control: gain, bass, middle, treble, contour, and volume. On the Clean channnel you can control: bass, middle, treble, and volume. There was only two things that I wish they could have incorporated in the amp. I would have liked to seen Delay and Flanger effects on the amp. As far as the features go this amp is a good buy. // 7

Sound: This amp can definately give you whatever sound you want. My guitars are a Squier Stratocaster and a Gibson Les Paul Special II. I mainly use the Treble pickup when I'm playing simply because I like the harsh sound it gives me. This amps sounds suits my style very well. I play a lot of metal and rock. This amp packs a big punch for it's size. I have cranked this amp up and it will make your ears bleed! On the Overdrive channel the sound clarity is perfect until you get above 7 or so on the volume knob (The volume knob goes from 1-10). On the Clean channel the clarity is very good all over. I haven't taken mine past 7 simply because I don't think that it necessary to. The amp is so loud when at that level that it's starts becoming HARMFUL to anyone in the room as well as the amp itself. The overdrive however, is right where most metal players want it. It can give you a little bit or it can give you a little more than you need. I usually keep my gain level at about 8 or 9 which is pretty heavy. This amp gives a lot of variety on which sounds you want to get out of it. I have played from Blues all the way to Death Metal on it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: As far as Reliabillity goes, I have never had a problem with it since I bouhgt it new. I have had this amp for quite a while and it has worked like a charm every time I played it. The durability of this amp is good. Everything is put together greatly and the craftsmanship is great as well. I would and will play gigs with just this amp because I know that it is very realiable. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this amp is a great choice for beginners all the way to some of the best shredders out there. The price on this amp is not bad at all! It suits every style of music I play. I mainly play: Rock, Metal, and any variation of the two. I have been playing for about a year now and I would say that I am at the intermediate level. I bought this amp coming from a Marshall MG solid state amp and WOW what a difference. If this amp was stolen or lost I would definately buy it back. I love everything about this amp except that the emblem did fall off once. I don't know if that is a normal thing with the B-52 series or if it was just carelessness when it was being shipped? I compared it to a couple of amps at the store before I bought the B-52 and the B-52 by far beat the others. I would advise anyone looking for a new amp to buy the B-52 AT-112! // 8

AT-112 Reviewed by: Mark G, on october 26, 2007

Features: My B-52 was made in 2005, which is after the B-52 ventilator problems. B-52 became known for durability issues because of overheating problems. These however were solved around 2003 I believe, and all amplifiers before that time could be replaced free of charge. The B-52 AT-112 is an all tube high gain amplifier aimed at the medium to higher end guitarist. It is an entry level tube amplifier designed for metal and hardrock, without comprimising the cleans. I play mostly metal and metalcore, however, I do venture into the realms of rock and jazz/blues every now and then. The versatility of this amplifier is pretty amazing, especially for it's price. Most amplifiers focus on one specific area: Mesas are for metal, Fenders are for cleans. The B-52 AT-112 can do both very well. In fact, I prefered the sound of my B-52 over that of a Mesa Dual Rectifier I tried. The B-52 sounded a bit tighter in the low end, and had much better cleans. The B-52 AT-112 has two channels: clean and overdrive. You can Switch between this channel on the amp itself, but it is much easier to do so with the footswitch that comes standard with the amplifier. The amp comes with an effects loop with independent volume controls, as well as a line out with independent volume control. This means that you have 3 different volume knobs if you use the effects loop. You can determine the volume as it enters and exits the effects loop, as well as the strength of the signal as it goes to the internal speaker. This makes for a lot of extra versatility. Tube amps are very loud, and this amplifier is no different. However, if you simpl connect the effect loop in and out with a cable, you will be able to turn down the volume there making the volume knob on the front much less sensitive, allowing you to dial in more accurately. This amp has three extra features most amplifiers do not have: independant middle and contour controls, Low resonance control, reverb. The middle and contour controls allow for extra versatility and ease when it comes to dialing your metal tone. The both do more or less the same thing, but you can roughly get the middle range to where you want it with the middle and then adjust the contour to change between classic rock and metal sound. The low resonance adds extra punch to the low end. If you turn this down, it will sound like an open back cabinet. If you turn this up, your B-52 AT-112 will produce a more punchy closed back cabinet sound. This makes for a lot more versatility. The reverb does it's job very well, although I don't use it very much. // 9

Sound: I'm using this amplifier with my Schecter C1 Classic with EMG 81/85 pickups. I play mostly metal, which is why I chose to buy this high gain amplifier. When I initially started playing through this amplifier, I was shocked by the amount of extra hiss and noise. However, the problem out to be the electrics in my house. It wasn't the amplifiers fault! When I later moved to another residence the B-52 was silent as could be even when using the overdrive channel boosted with an OD. Like I said before, this amp is very versatile. It can do everything from Country to Metalcore very well, especially considering it only cost me 400 dollars. Like all tube amps, the B-52 AT 112 sounds best when you can crank the volume. This is in fact necessary if you want to play the higher gain metalcore. I don't usually get the chance to crank my B-52 so I bought a DigiTech Bad Monkey OD to get that cranked sound at low volumes. It works like a dream. The clean channel remains clean even at very high volumes with my EMG81/85. It isn't until I push the amp to hearing damage levels that I begin to notice some distortion of the clean channel. This is very good especially because EMGs are very high output pickups. The distortion on its own is very impressive and easily capable of classic metal in the realm of pantera, Misfits, Megadeth and helloween. You do have to crank this amplifier to boost the gain enough for metalcore such as Trivium, Avenged Sevenfold and As Blood runs Black. An OD pedal solved this for me. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Like I said, this B-52 AT 112 was produced after the issues with the ventilator were resolved and I have had no problems with it. Even if I did have a problem, the warranty would cover it for a few years so I could just exchange my B-52 for the newer problem free model. It has never broken down, and I don't expect it to anywhere near in the future. I would never play without a backup amplifier however, simply because it doesn't take all that much for a tube to pop. This isn't the amplifiers fault, but the tubes. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal and metalcore mostly, and this amp is the perfect match for me. It was extremely affordable and delivered everything I needed. I have been playing for 2 years now, and I am still very much satisfied with my purchase. If it were stolen, I would just buy it again. Nothing comes even close in the 500 dollar range. The nearest contender would probably be a Peavey Valveking, but the distortion on the valveking is inferior in every way. The only thing I would have liked to see on this amp that isn't there is the rectifier settings the AT 212 does have. I feel that the AT 112 should have had these as well. The bottom line is: If you play metal, and you want a tube amp for less than $800, give the B-52 AT 112 a serious consideration. You will not regret it. // 9

AT-112 Reviewed by: Punk Poser, on december 26, 2007

Features: This all tube amp features a clean and overdrive channel each with separate EQ controls. There is a master reverb and a low res knob which adjusts the low end. Both channels have separate volume knobs, and the overdrive channel features a gain knob which adjusts the amount of gain, and a very useful contour knob which adjusts the mid range of the amp. On the back of this amp is an effects loop with seperate level controls, an impedance Switch from 4 0hm, to 8 ohm, and 16 ohm, and a line out. This amp has all the basic features of most amps along with extra features such as the contour, and low res, but it is lacking in a master volume knob which would have really come in handy. Compared to the AT-212, this amp is lacking in features. // 7

Sound: For the price, this amp really delivers. The clean channel is very clean; it does not break up until the volume is at ear shattering levels. The cleans are very dark and warm and great for jazz, but they can be EQed for a brighter Fender sparkle. You can't really get a Vintage blues OD on this amp without a pedal though, but this amp is not voiced Vintage in anyway. The Overdrive channel on the amp is also very good. There is plenty of gain on tap, but if the gain is turned up all the way, it gets too fizzy. The contour knob really comes in handy. If you turn it down you can get a more scooped tone without compromising your tone in a band situation. If you turn it up, you get a nice crunch. This amp is great for hard rock. If you turn down the gain, turn up the volume, and turn up the contour you get a pretty damn good hard rock tone ala AC/DC. Other classic rock tones are not as easy to get on this amp. It is more voiced on the modern side, and on mid gain it reminds me of modern pop punk, and modern rock type tones. If you turn up the gain, you can get a nice thrash tone or a hardcore tone, but don't turn it up too much or it will fizz up. If you want a chunky extreme metal tone, you need a pedal, but my EQ pedal really suffices when trying to get more gain for a "brutal metal tone" Some cons with the overdrive channel are it is a bit muddy, the high end can be harsh, it is not as tight as I would like, and playing leads can be a bit weak on a low output guitar on this amp. Also, the speaker breakup when turning this amp up is really harsh, so I think a speaker change is a must. The other problems can be altered with a speaker change which I will undergo in the near future. This amp is pretty damn quite on all channels. // 8

Reliability & Durability: There have been a lot of claims about this amp being unreliable, and I think there might be some truth to these claims. I bought this amp off the floor, and after having it for a while, the volume started to cut out. I thought it was a tube problem, but that was not the case. I had to send it in to an authorized dealer, and wait for three weeks for them to fix it. The problem ended up being faulty wiring in the circuit board and on some jacks. I didn't have to pay anything, but it was very There have been a lot of claims about this amp being unreliable, and I think there might be some truth to these claims. I bought this amp off the floor, and after having it for a while, the volume started to cut out. I thought it was a tube problem, but that was not the case. I had to send it in to an authorized dealer, and wait for three weeks for them to fix it. The problem ended up being faulty wiring in the circuit board and on some jacks. I didn't have to pay anything, but it was very inconvenient. These amps are made in China like most other entry level tube amps, so the reliability is always an issue. // 6

Overall Impression: This amp really delivers a convincing tube tone for the price. It was my first tube amp, and a great upgrade from the Roland products I used before. Great clean and overdive channel with plenty of versatility is what you get with this amp. I have been playing for three years, and a number of different styles. It does me good for all the styles of music I play (or at least attempt to). While the tone is not perfect, particularly the distorted one, you get what you pay for. If this amp were stolen, I would probably just save up for something even better. All that aside, this was my favorite amp in the price range, and I enjoy the tones and versatility this amp has to offer. // 8

AT-112 Reviewed by: Axegrinder#9, on october 06, 2009

Purchased from: GC

Features: The features have been covered before so I won't bother covering them. At the time of purchase, around 2006 I was still playing the occasional metal tune, and a lot of instrumental rock like Yngwie as well as some proggy stuff like Dream Theater. I had originally tested the amp with a hot-rodded Kramer guitar, and had found the sound OK and the amp was within my budget. // 7

Sound: The clean channel on the amp is not bad. It's not a sparkling Fender clean of course, but has a nice consistent clean tone nonetheless. Lacks the glassiness however and doesn't break up well when the volume is cranked. The EQ on the amp isn't very faithful. The bass often sounds too loose and unevenly balanced with the other frequencies. The 'verb unit is OK. Overall one can get fairly decent clean tones from this amp using a good guitar. However as time went by I started liking the Drive channel less and less. At moderate gain levels, the OD doesn't sing out and I just don't like the tone that is achieved. I dicked around with the volume to gain ratio a lot on this channel, but was never able to achieve any singing sweet OD sounds. Cranking the gain causes the tone to lose all character and nuance and it's fuzzy and buzzing. The contour control makes the tone real muddy if turned up too high. Yes it's probably quite alright for playing Metallica, Slayer, etc. Moreover the Drive channel is very noisy! It's kind of unfortunate because soon after I purchased this amp I started getting more and more in jazz and jazz fusion, and most of the tonal aspects of this amp was lost on me after a while. I purchased a Fender American Deluxe strat soon after, and this amp definitely DID NOT enhance the natural strat tone, but rather marred it. // 5

Reliability & Durability: People have already mentioned the issues in this department. I think my piece was a poster child for the cause. Within a few months of getting it, the reverb toggle on the footswitched conked off. Soon after the clean channel simply died. While switched on, NO SOUND would come out of it. I eventually had to send it to an authorized repair center, which claimed that it was a case of the "tubes being loose". Within 4 months of it coming back, the clean channel died again. I didn't bother sending it to get fixed again because by this time I was using a friend's Fender Princeton Reverb, and stopped bothering with this junk. As time went by, the Drive channel developed this horrible crackling sound with extremely low output. In order to get rid of the crackle, it required a sudden sharp loud attack on the guitar strings with the volume cranked up. It was ridiculous. Towards the end it was completely junked and dead weight in my apartment. // 2

Overall Impression: I currently play jazz and jazz fusion on guitar. I've played through enough Vintage tube amps to understand that this entry level amp is really a piece of junk. It's not even worth half the amount of money it is priced at. There's really nothing I loved about it as such, and in time I came to detest its very sight. I wasn't even able to sell it as such, and just left it to rot at another friend's house when I had to move. The only half decent thing about this amp was the reverb. I'm currently playing out a Fender Blues Junior, and boy does it blow the B52 outta the water! // 4

AT-112 Reviewed by: simpleben09, on january 29, 2010

Features: So, to start off, this is definitely a very solid amp. This is a very versatile amp, which is a plus since I tend to favor thrash/death metal (Children Of Bodom, Megadeth) and blues (B.B. King, Robert Johnson). It has 2 channels, dirty and clean. It comes with a foot pedal that has channel switching and a reverb switch. The reverb switch isn't totally necessary but certainly welcome. I guess the only feature one could really desire in this amp is a lead channel, but for $350, you're really starting to get picky, since it's already an awesome amp. As far as power goes, it's 60 watts and honestly, I think it's a little too much. I've never turned it up past 1 in my bedroom. // 9

Sound: I run an LTD MH-100QM and a Schecter Omen 6 into this amp, and they both sound awesome. The omen 6 has a JB in the bridge, so it definitely get's a much better tone, as opposed to the LTD's stock pickups. This amp definitely suits my styles (metal and blues) as both channels do an awesome job. This amp gives off little or no noise at all. It's a tad noisy with my LTD, but I know it's the LTD's fault and not the amp doing it. On the dirty channel, I have the bass at 7, mid at 8, and treble at 6. You can really get whatever tones anyone desires from there. The only knobs I really turn on the dirty side are the distortion and the contour. The distortion goes from a very slight crunch (perfect for rockin' blues) to f--king br00tal, out of control insanely distorted. I usually keep it around 7.5 though. The contour knob is a welcome control as well. Having it at 10 gives you a full midrange crunch. Rolling it back gives you a much more natural sounding scoop as opposed to turning the mid knob. Going over to the clean channel, you get a wide variety of tones. I keep it at a very bright setting, to get a sort of Metallica sounding clean. But if you want, it can get a very warm and lush tone too. The clean channel definitely kicks ass, since it has plenty of headroom. EQ it right and I'm sure it could keep Duncan Blackouts or EMG 81's under taps. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The amp is a very durable one so far. I haven't really taken it on the road or anything, but I'm very confident it could hold up. I've never had a single issue with the amp. However, on the foot pedal, the reverb side of it doesn't really work right unless I have the cable bent a certain way. Not a big deal though since I don't often use it. And when I do use the reverb control, it's usually just set at 2 to air things out. // 8

Overall Impression: This amp is certainly a good one. It can play just about any style, but I think it's slightly geared towards hard rock and metal. I've been playing for about 3 years now, and this is the best amp I've been blessed with the chance to own. I have no regrets about buying this amp, except maybe looking for a way to have gotten cheaper shipping. If it were stolen/lost, I would definitely buy a new one, since it really seems to be the only amp in this price range that actually does what I want it to do and then some. I really loved everything about this amp. My favorite feature is definitely the entire dirty channel, since it's what you need for teh br00t4lz. I compared this side by side with my Raven RG, and I haven't used the RG since. I don't really think I could ask for anything more with this amp. It's definitely a great buy. It gets my stamp of approval. // 10

AT-112 Reviewed by: Sadbutrue62, on april 14, 2010

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

Features: I'm not sure when this amp was made but it was sometime after B-52 corrected the overheating problems. It is pretty versatile for the types of music I play. I range from Jazz to full on Thrash. It gets things like Jazz very well even with my EMG-60 in the neck and sounds pretty heavenly with some single coils on the clean channel. It has a ton of gain, I have to the setting below one to get a good Jazz-Fusion or Blues sound. It has two channels. An Overdrive and Clean. It comes with a cheap foot switch, a Series? Effects loop, an Impedance selector (4-8-16) 4 12AX7 and 2 6L6 tubes, two speaker jacks, and a line out jack. You can Switch channels on the amp, or with the foot switch. You can't change channels on the amp with the Switch on the amp when you have the foot Switch plugged in, but you wouldn't really need to do that anyways. I wish it had a wattage selector and maybe more options for the EQ built in, because it is very loud for my house, and the EQ on it doesn't do much on the amp. // 9

Sound: I am using it with an ESP EC-1000 Deluxe guitar with an EMG 60 in the neck and an EMG 81 in the bridge. It suits my style very well. I mainly play Thrash/Power/Shred. It was slightly muddy, but my 10 band EQ corrected that right away. It is very very noisy. That the only problem. I have to use 2 noise gates to shut this thing up. (One in the effects loop to quiet the tubes, and one in front of the amp for the pickups.) I think my pickups cause most of the noise, not really sure, but the roar of this amp makes up for it. It may be the wiring in my house, it is less noisy in our drummer's basement. It isn't noisy at all on the clean setting. This amp should suit you for any style, but keep in mind it is a budget amp. There is better for anything, but to my ears, it sounds good for all at the moment. The clean channel starts to distort around 4. The distortion is pretty brutal, not as much as some of the high-end metal amps, but it gets the job done for me // 8

Reliability & Durability: Well, I had to change the tubes already, and it was acting up while gigging. (Embarrassing.) It is pretty much my fault, because I kinda threw it around, but other than that it has held up good. It was and still is my 1st tube amp, so I figured it would be a good start to kind of see what I could do with it. // 8

Overall Impression: Again, it is a very decent amp for my style. I have been playing for about 2.5 years, but I think I have a decent knowledge of guitar stuff :P. I own a pedal board with 2 noise gates, an EQ, chorus, and delay pedal. If it was lost or stolen, I would try to find something better, but I would do this for any of my gear. I love the sound for the price, I hate the hiss. I chose it because of the price. $350 for a tube amp is great. // 8

More B-52 reviews rating category latest review