ST-412 Review

manufacturer: B-52 date: 05/17/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
B-52: ST-412
Vintage 30s for $600? Now that's a steal! The sound is great and the price is hard to beat.
 8.7
 8.5
 8.8
review (1) pictures (1) 8 comments vote for this gear:
ST-412 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 17, 2011

Features: - Four 12" Celestion Vintage 30 speakers - 280 watts - 3/4" Baltic Birch Construction - Slanted - Black Tolex - Black Grill with white piping (very classy looking) - B-52 logo in the dead middle of the amp (going to get rid of this one day) - Rubber Feet - Detachable Casters - 30" x 30" x 14" - Weighs 98 lbs (not really too heavy) - 4 ohm or 16 ohm mono, 8 ohm stereo I love the casters. This is somewhat of a massive amp, not too massive, but dead weight is dead weight and I'd much prefer to roll it on the ground than carry it around. I was astonished at how cheap this amp was and the fact that it had Celestion V30s in it for such a low price. The handles are kinda ehh but they are very solid due to 4 large hex bolts that hold each of the handle in place. As far as I can tell, this is the real deal with Vintage 30s. I wish I could compare it to other notable cabinets with Vintage 30s, but unfortunately I cannot go into very deep detail and comparison. The tolex seems a little flimsy though as it has already started to rip at the top. // 8

Sound: Now I assume that all Vintage 30s sound the same so I think it's safe to say that this will most likely sound like whatever other cabinet you wish to buy with Vintage 30s with similar dimensions. Now I am aware that dimensions do make a difference in the tone so I'm not going to say, "THIS SOUNDS EXACTLY LIKE EVERY OTHER CABINET WITH Vintage 30s!" because I know that they will not, but it seems that the dimensions of this cab are similar to that of a Mesa Boogie Stiletto 4x12 only in very slight variations, so for anyone who has played one of those can get a gist of what this cab sounds like. It's very clean and crunchy and works perfectly with my 6505+. This cab largely enhanced the tone as compared to the original 1x12, making it a lot more natural sounding and a lot less compressed and boxed-in kind of tone. This amp gets pretty loud too. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp is pretty solid. The wood is very dense which doesn't show much wear to it. It's pretty hard to ding this thing because of not only the wood, but the amp corners as well. The tolex is somewhat flimsy though. I've already had a few tears on the top of my amp. I'm not too worried about those though since it is on top of my amp and my head will be covering the damages anyway. I have had no issues with wire shortages or the output jacks or anything. It seems very well constructed and I doubt I will have any issues with it in the near future. // 8

Overall Impression: As this was my first product from B-52, I wasn't sure what to expect. I had heard good and bad things about the amplifiers they offer so I was a little weary at first. This has been a great purchase in my opinion, though, and I am very impressed with the cabinet. The sound is great and the price is hard to beat. Compared to other cabinets similar to this one that run for $949 dollars, I'd love for someone to explain to me why not to choose this cabinet over the others. It's an overall deal and I'd come back for another. // 9

- Ryan Pullin (c) 2011