Blue Devil GX112 Review

manufacturer: Behringer date: 11/20/2009 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Behringer: Blue Devil GX112
Its revolutionary concept makes it one of the most flexible and powerful amps in its class, and it has proven itself among gigging guitarists playing just about every style and in every constellation you can imagine.
 6.9
 7.4
 6.4
reviews (4) 13 comments vote for this gear:
Blue Devil GX112 Reviewed by: Marco89, on july 19, 2006

Purchased from: second handed

Features: This is a Behringer GX112 Blue Devil 60 watt guitarcombo. It has 2 diverent channels, heaven and hell (clean and dirty). It has volume, Heat (something like distortion) EQ, digital effectbox, Aux volume and master. It comes with a footswich with channel and effect, the amp has headphone and effectloop and some other features I never use. I play rock, bleus and sometimes metal things. // 8

Sound: I use it with a Epiphone SG with Gibson pickups in it. Wich I run trough a Boss compressor, Crybaby, Metal Zone and a old distortion & feedbacker. It is a 60 watt amp but it is not loud at all, on stage I have to put the master between 6 or 8. The distortion on the amp itself is for me worthless, no chrunch at all, it's like an overdrive with no treble, so if you play in a band it won't cut trough, but I have to say it sounds better with humbuckers than singlecoil pickups. In clean channel is only clean and it is good, better to keep the preamp volume low, you have better definition. With the eq you can get allmost every sound you want, but it lacks a bit on clarity, so it's not a good amp for jazz and regea stuff. The digital effects are nice, some of them are very usefull, you can trow in some reverb, delay's, flange, they're nice, but the wah and somekind of distortion modulation are realy useless. The distortion sucks, but what did you expect for a cheap amp. It is better to spend some money on a good pedal. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this amp, it has never let me down. I heard story's about the floorboard breaking, but I never had any kind of problems with that. It's not the most solid amp, so just be nice to it. // 8

Overall Impression: I'm playing almost 2 years now. This thing is good for rock, bleus and metal. But you'll have to spend money on a decent pedal, than it's a real fine amp. Before I was playin on a Roland Cube15, but needed something louder for the band. So I bought this one second hand. It's a good amp for the price, realy I never been disapointed about it. I realy wish it had a precence or tone control on de dirt channel. But if you want a better distortion I suggest buying a Laney or Marshall combo or something. I'm selling the Behringer now, it has to make room for my new Mesa/Boogie DC-3. Behringer dous not make crap, but nice stuff for a nicer price, give it a 7! // 7

Blue Devil GX112 Reviewed by: lil joe, on september 21, 2006

Purchased from: derringers

Features: The amp has 2 channels called heaven (clean) and hell (distorsion). It has an effects processor with many cool effects. Its master volume goes up to 12 yes you heard right 12. It's loud enough for playing live, I have used it in small gigs at less than half volume. // 8

Sound: The amps clean sound is really good but it's distorsion is lacking so it helps to be used with distorsion. To get the best sound have it on clean with distorsion and it's beautiful. it's got lots of really good sounding effects and my favoutite pitch shifter (harmoniser type thingy) which has a range from 1 octave lower to 1 octave higher. I love the sound of the amp and I'm using humbuckers. It's a very versatile amp but if you want to play heavy stuff you need a pedal. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've never needed a backup with this amp and is very strong. One idiot friend managed to screw it up somehow. But it was easy fixed. It's a good amp nd the times I thought it was broken it turned out I had the volume on my guitar off or something stupid. // 9

Overall Impression: I really love this amp and I always prefer using it compared to other amps. I've tried many amps and had bad experiences with almost every brand except mine. I want to stick with it and just get a quad or something to make it louder it's a good enough quality amp for the bbig stuff and I loooove it. // 10

Blue Devil GX112 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 06, 2008

Purchased from: Mikes Music

Features: The amp itself comes with so many usfull channals and settings and while some are just plain crap others can really help you find a really awesome effect. There are some settings that probably will never be used like a "wah/delay" I thought it would be a cool feature but it ended up being garbage or the other one called "guitar-speaker combo" this made it so the amp had an even worse distortion than the default. The distortion on this amp is absolute garbage you might not ever use it because instead of making a cool rock distortion sound it makes a low hissing sound with the "heat" as it's called turned up all the way but fret not young ones it the other features like delay, reverb, phaser, and auto wah will keep you happy till you pick your best friend; a footpedal. // 6

Sound: For some odd reason this amp just can't reach those high notes that you wish it could. The thing has great base and stuff but you'll have to use the bridge pickup and turn up the treable on both the guitar and amp to get those special notes. If you have a distortion petal this is your amp there is even an indicator light that comes on w2hen you overdriver the amp. The amp really doesn't have the volume output I thought it would have and at a high volume it will start sounding distorted so don't get to excited I would still go with a high wattage Marshall but lets face it when your poor eveything sound good at the right price. If you try hard enough you can even get the neighbors to call the cops on you. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had a problem with the amp so far and it doesn't rattle when you turn up the bass and volume and belive me I've turned this all the way up to the twelve with the bass all the way up using a raised bridge pickup. I have never had a power issue or overheating (even with the "heat" turned up. I wouldent go around dropping it of buildings or take it scuba-diving on the weekends but mine sure has taken a beating because we want to pretend we're Pete Townshend at least once and lets face it we don't want to smash our guitar so yes I'm sure Pete would be proud (if you don't know who Pete is look him up he's the guitarist for The Who). // 8

Overall Impression: Overall I would say that this would be a good amp for musician who are still in the songwriting/expirimental stage and not yet doing gigs I would not say this would make a good beginner amp because it has so many features and settings it might scare noobies away but if you are lookin to buy one try it out first with a couple pedals you might want or use because this could ether be a really helpful musical Tool or a big heavy peice of junk. I personally have a Fender strat, Ibanez GSA60, Crybaby Wah, and a DigiTech Distortion Factory that's it I don't need a delay/reverb pedal or phaser cause this amp provides for me though I am going to have to face the fact that eventually I'm going to need somthing better. // 7

Blue Devil GX112 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 20, 2009

Purchased from: GAK

Features: 2 channels (Heaven/Hell), The clean channel sounds good and when it's set up right certainly makes a decent enough sound. The "Hell" channel though... Terrible and as good as useless. Comes with a pedal to Switch between channels and turns the effects on and off which is reliable but a little stiff so you need to put a bit of weight into it. One of the big selling points at the time for me was 99 preset effects, don't be attracted by these, I very rarely use anything more than some very simple ones to make the "Hell" channel a little more pleasing. // 6

Sound: I am using an Epiphone G400 Les Paul Custom through the amplifier. I never really turn it off the clean setting as the distortion sounds horrendous but the clean channel makes some nice sounds. If I play anything with any distortion I put it through my Boss ME-50 FX pedal and the amp works great for that I must admit and 60 watts gives a good volume for gigging. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I had one break down a few weeks after I had it. Some internal component fault that stopped it switching on. Sent it back to Behringer and it was returned within about a month I think. It was a pain but they were easy to deal with and covered all costs. Since then I have had no problem with it. Just need to tighten the inputs up every now and again. The amp is heavy though and feels a little fragile so if you're going to be lugging it around a lot I would strongly advise you hold tight. It's also unusually tall I find and can be a little unstable if you knock it due to the weight. // 7

Overall Impression: I have been playing guitar for about 7 years and go through many phases of style. I am currently looking to replace this amp for something with a bit more distortion. When I first got it I loved it but over the couple of years I've had it I have started to realise its flaws more. If you can pick one up cheap and are willing to use a pedal to create distortion I think you'd be pretty happy with this amp or if you want something to play an electro-Acoustic through or just something cleaner then go with this. I think it's also a pretty good starter if you want to have a go with a few effects and things in the privacy of your own home but don't go spending wads of cash on it brand new. // 7

More Behringer reviews rating category latest review
+ UM100 Ultra Metal 7.8 Guitar Effects 09/03/2014