Ultraroc GX110 Review

6.8
review (1) pictures (2) 6 comments vote for this gear:
Ultraroc GX110 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 28, 2009

Price paid: € 65

Features: I bought it second hand. It is about 4 or 5 years old and once cost 165 Euros or so. But that don't matter, because you can't get it new any more. It is a 30W two channel digital modeling amp with a 10" speaker. Both channels have seperate volume control and there's still a master volume. Both channels share a 3-band equalizer. The amp has an effect section with 99 editable user presets (different kinds of reverb, phaser, chorus, flanger, tremolo, leslie, wah, pitch shifter, compressor and others). One effect preset per channel can be saved, so that you can use seperate effect settings for clean and overdrive. The GX110 comes with versatile routing features: - headphone output - 8Ohm external speaker output - line out (chinch) - line in (chinch) - insert (and return) A footswitch for channel selection and effect bypass is included. There's also a midi input, so that you can use external midi controling. I have not used the line in, external speaker output, FX loop and midi in so far, so I can't tell you anything about that. I've used the line out, though. The line out volume depends on the master volume, so you can't really use it with the amp turned up loud, because it will clip heavily. I think the Behringer GX110 is good for a practice and rehearsal amp and is definitely loud enough for that. I have not really tried it in public, but I will (on small stages), if this specimen is reliable. It is not really loud enough for gigs with miked drums - or it is loud enough, but you'll miss that power a 60W amp has, especially in the low frequencies. One thing I really miss is a seperate EQ for both channels. You'll have to compromise between clean and lead settings. You can't have it all with one EQ. // 8

Sound: I play a Fender Squier Strat with replaced pickups (humbuckers in single coil size) and use a DigiTech Screamin' Blues overdrive/distortion before the amp. My musical style is rather versatile, basically singer/songwriter with influence from everything between jazz, blues, latin and hard rock. Usually I don't need heavy distortion, but rather a good clean sound and that's what the amp delivers, if you get the EQ settings right. As far as I tried it the clean doesn't break up at high volumes. The overdrive ranges from soft crunchy tones up to rather heavy distortion for hardrock riffing or a singing lead, depending on your guitar and eq settings. But if you have a good clean sound, the overdrive (using the same eq) will sound gritty, at least for lead lines. On the other hand a good lead sound will be dull in the clean channel, so you'll have to compromise and use the controls of your guitar (what are they for, anyway?) The FX section is (for my taste) versatile and can handle all the basics. I have used some of them for recording without having to be ashamed. You'll have to find out, what you like or dislike. All presets are editable, so you can also find the right mix in most cases. One important fact should not be forgotten: it has some distinguishable background noise. I can only hear it, when I don't play, so the guitar usually covers it completely. I think it's none of the very quietest amps. On the other hand I didn't expect it to be so. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Now this is the point with Behringer amps. This one here is my second GX110. I bought the first in 2004 with a two year warrantry. After less than two months it started hissing and fizzling. Two times I sent it back to The Music store to have it fixed and two times the problem returned even quicker than before, so I got rid of it (and my money back). That was four years ago. The new one I bought just recently is four years old. If this one had the same problem, it would have shown before, but it seems to be ok. That's why I don't use it for a gig yet, because I need to know first, how it will do at long range. I think with Behringer it is like: either you have a product that works fine and has no problems at all, or you have an exemplar, which will always raise problems. // 3

Overall Impression: I bought this amp again, not because it's the best I can find, but because I know its features and problems and had the chance to get it and to test it intensively. If it was lost or stolen, I would not cling to it, but I'd regret the loss, though. It suffices my needs so far and if it keeps on working, I'll not replace it, unless I can afford a really, really good amp. // 8

More Behringer reviews rating category latest review
+ Feedback Destroyer Pro DSP1124P 9.5 Guitar Effects 07/17/2014