V-Ampire LX1200H Review

manufacturer: Behringer date: 03/11/2013 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Behringer: V-Ampire LX1200H
The LX1200H perfectly matches the brand-new BG412V guitar cabinet as well as the entire series of legendary BG guitar loudspeaker cabinets. This tone monster really is the ultimate modeling amplifier.
 Features: 9.2
 8.7
 8.3
reviews (5) pictures (2) 17 comments vote for this gear:
V-Ampire LX1200H Reviewed by: hartdaniel, on february 24, 2005

Purchased from: American Musical

Features: Amp is new. Made in Germany. Digital Modeling. Solid state amp and cab simulator. Stereo output 60W, 120W mono. 125 channels of edidable presets. Built in effects. Headphone Jack. Balanced and unbalanced outputs. GLX stereo output. Has good power in stereo mode. Fairly loud. Many features available. Drawback may be that the amp is most useful with a MIDI interface and a computer. This is no problem for me, but may be a problem for others. Also the MIDI pedal board 1010 or similar is a must. // 10

Sound: I use this with all style guitars. Default programs sound best with the Les Paul. Built in noise gate eliminates all the noise and allows your guitar thru with no cut off. This amp has 32 amp models, and 16 cab sims. Also has 5 different output modes. Many common amps are pre programmed in, and you can download and install sound models off the web. Clean is clear at all levels. Distortion is as nasty as you make it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I cannot contribute to this portion. Amp is new, and has 2 year warranty. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic and southern rock, amp matches my taste right out of the box. I have been playing 27 years. I also have a Crate GX65, a Sunn Beta Lead, Digitech RP12 and RP14D. Guitars are a LP studio, Memphis Strat, Washburn ES-100, Jackson Warrior, Johnson Acoustic electric. I wish I could have played with this amp before buying it, but no local stores stocked it. I would still have likely purchased it, but its good to compare. If it's lost or stolen, I would buy the same, or better. I love the sound programs right out of the box, no playing around with it for hours. I hate that the effects are not very configurable from the panel. I love the versatility, can play most any sound. I was looking at 3 different amps. Marshall GS100DFX, Crate GX1000, and this. I have never had a love for Marshall amps, the Crate was a lower price. But didn't have the modelling. I wish it were a little easier to program, but with versatility comes complication I guess. // 10

V-Ampire LX1200H Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 16, 2008

Purchased from: on line dealer

Features: I got this head in June of 2005. It's a one channel digital modeling amp. There are 32 amp simulations (Mesa rectifier, Marshall Plexi, Vox AC30, Fender Bassman, Roland JC120, etc)as well as cabinet simulations (4x12, 4x10, 2x12, etc). You can mix and match any amp with any cabinet simulation. Any combination of amp settings can be store in a preset, which is selectable through the control panel or via the included footswitch. There's a MIDI controller available that is supposed to be a step up from the footswitch but I don't have it, the footswitch seems to be fine for me. Presets are arranged in 25 banks, each having 5 (A-E) presets per bank. There is a delay when you Switch presets from one bank to the next, but not so much when you switch among one of the 5 within a bank. So, it's best to set up your presets so that you can stay in a bank during a song (remember, you have 25 banks available, plenty enough). The amp has several built in effects:delay, echo, flanger, phase shifter, compressor, chorus, auto-wah, and tremolo. There's also two effects that are for stereo, and work well if you have two cabinets set apart on the stage: ping-pong, rotary (like a Leslie speaker). There's combined effects, such as "chorus + delay" but you don't get to choose the combination, they are preset: phaser+delay; flanger+delay1 and flanger+delay 2, chorus+delay1 and chorus+delay 2, chorus + compressor. Most effects have two controllable parameters. You can control the modulation effects (e.g., tremolo or flanger) a "tap" buttton that lets you tap the tempo and the effect timing will line up. This is very cool. There's an effects loop for your own pedals. There's also several user-selectable reverb styles. You can use reverb on top of any of the other effects options. The amp has MIDI capability, user-adjustable input gain (useful for adjusting for different pickups or active pickups), a Drive function (gives a substantial gain boost), noise gate (great for reducing hum with single coil guitars) and a built-in tuner. Output is stereo (use a stereo cabinet or two mono cabinets) or mono. There's 3 "studio" modes which are aimed at recording -that is, going right into the console - and two "live" modes. There's also a headphones jack that turns off the speaker cabinet. This is huge feature if you need to practice without disturbing others, as you get the full sound through the headphones including all the amp and cabinet simulations and effects. This amp is extremely versatile but all the options means that you do have to spend some time figuring out how to use the functions to get your sound out of it. However, it's time well spent. // 10

Sound: I play classic rock. I use Gibsons mostly and medium output pickups. This amp is extremely versatile and it matches what I want to do perfectly. You have to spend a little time to get the hang of the controls and effects, but once you "learn" this amp, you can really get it to sing. To my ear the amp models are very accurate. This amp may not be the best choice for the death metal players, but I really don't know since that's not my thing. I say that because the distortion doesn't seem to be harsh or metallic at all. But again, you should read a review from that type of player if that's what you're interested in. I generally like the sound of the higher gain tube amps like the Mesa, but with the amp gain turned down to 3-5. This gives a nice, bluesy distorion... not harsh or muddy. For $200. Quite a deal in my book. I use a bit of delay, and sometimes an external compressor with the delay. A word on tube v. solid state distortion: I very much dislike the distortion from most solid state amps. The sound of a transistor clipping is just painful. However, this is a solid state amp and it's smooth as butter, not ugly at all. The reason is that this amplifier develops it's distortion by digitally modeling the sound produced by tube amps. In other words, you're not hearing the transistors clipping - in this amp the transistors are run clean (which is the thing transistors are very, very good at), amplifying a spectrum produced by a digital signal processor. The DSP has no problem replicating the mix of harmonics produced by a vacuum tube. I also have two 6L6 and one EL34 tube amps, and to me the distortion from this sounds very, very tube-like. Not perfect, the EL34 amp in particular has this HUGE sound. But this head is very very good, and you don't have to run at floor-shaking volume to get good sound. Everyone has an opinion, but some will write off anything that is solid state without realizing that there's a difference between a solid state distortion and digitally modeled distortion. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would always have a backup with any amp. Even tubes fail at the wrong moment or get broken when moving an amp around. I guess if you bang something into a knob it might break, a Marshall might be more rugged but I don't think realistically that any amp will survive serious physical abuse. I'm reasonably careful with all my gear, so I might not be the best to comment on how it holds up to abuse. Behringer often gets trashed because it's manufactured in China. But most electronics these days are manufactured in China, including (probably) the computer you're looking at right now. My experience has been that Behringer stuff is pretty good. I have a few of their pedals too and they work well and have been durable. More money doesn't necessarily mean higher quality. I've had this guitar amp since June of 2005 and have had zero problems of any kind. // 10

Overall Impression: I have five amps (four plus this one). Three of the other four are name-brand tube amps. The last one is a little solid state toy that is very portable (but sounds bad, even though it's also a big name brand). Overall, this is my favorite amp. It's absolutely the best for experimenting and finding the best tone for a particular piece. It's the most fun. It sounds good played either loud or quiet - again, since it's a digital modeler you don't have to be at huge volumes to get decent tone. A set of wireless headphones lets me practice through a "Marshall Plexi" at 2:00 am without waking the neighbors. All for cheap-cheap-cheap. When playing it through a speaker (as opposed to direct into a mixer or console) this amp is not loud if you are running a very wet signal - but this isn't really a problem since a very wet signal isn't too useful for Live playing, anyway. The manufacturer recommends the L2 mode with cabinet simulation turned off, and I agree - this is the best for Live sound. Depends on your style of course, but for me I prefer a mostly dry signal, with very moderate little reverb and mild effects tossed in. Used like that, this has plenty of volume. I would definitely buy this again, it's my favorite amp. // 10

V-Ampire LX1200H Reviewed by: oldcabage, on february 06, 2006

Purchased from: www.gak.co.uk

Features: This amp head provides every sound you'll ever need with it's complex digital amp and cabinet modelling and effects. There are 32 different amp models and various corresponding cabinet models which can handle the most calming of classical melodies to the heaviest riffs and screaching solos. There are 16 different effects as well as reverb, gain, equalisation and presence. It includes an in-built chromatic tuner and comes with a footswitch. There are 125 amp channels which are all fully programeable which are divided into 25 banks of 5 channels each. This allows the user to hold a huge variety of sounds with very little effort. It delivers 120 watts of power via either mono or stereo outputs and is easily loud enough for amateur concerts and personal use. // 8

Sound: I mainly play two styles - soothing classical melodies and crazy shred. This amp is perfect for these styles both of which I change between regularly. It sounds very good in large spaces when used with my 4x12 BG412H cabinet. The wide range of channels and amp features allows the user to easily customize the amp to their own preferences. I have also checked out the blues and mild-rock capabilities of the amp and they suit the genre extremely well despite not being widely used in my case. With good speakers, the clean channels do not distort at high volumes and the distortion can be as brutal as the player allows it to be. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp is still relatively new but has had no problems as of yet. There seems to be no signs of wear or damage and I can confidently use this amp at gigs and small concerts. // 9

Overall Impression: Whatever your playing style, I can guarentee that this amp head will have something to suit you and I would recommend it for anybody looking for a first gigging amp. // 9

V-Ampire LX1200H Reviewed by: JaykeSucks, on february 09, 2009

Price paid: A$ 350

Features: Tons of features, almost too many to be honest. 36 amp models or something, lots of effects... this amp certain isn't lacking in features. I bought it with the FCB1010 which was a really nice MIDI control board. It really did make accessing this amps features a lot easier. // 9

Sound: I'm using a Gibson Explorer Pro, a Home made Strat with Fender Texas Specials or an Epiphone Les Paul Custom with SD pickups, and I really never got a sound I liked out of this amp. Granted, it's much better than the comparable Line 6 products, but it definitely still sounds like a modelling amp. It can cover everything from country through to brutal metal tones, but they all sound quite flat and fake. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Input jack broke within 2 weeks, the amp heated up to much that it occasionally turned itself off. Not sure whether mine was defective, but I wasn't too happy about how it performed. On stage, mid song, it began changing banks and patches sporadically. It played pretty much every sound on the amp within 10 seconds. Very embarrassing. // 2

Overall Impression: I wouldn't buy this amp unless I was planning to just play in my room and no where else. I bought it because I thought it would be a huge upgrade from my old Marshall MG... to be honest, the MG sounded better. It DOES cover a huge array of sounds, just not that well. It sounds less digital than the Line 6 Spiders, but instead of being digital sounding, it just sounds flat and quite average. // 3

V-Ampire LX1200H Reviewed by: kd8dqk, on march 11, 2013

Purchased from: Pawn shop

Features: I found this in a pawn shop along with the matching cabinet. Messed with it for awhile and figured out that it has lots of stuff. A year later I'm still learning about what it can do. Great amp models, nice FX, and the EQ is decent. The tuner is nice even though I don't use it. Ok, I don't use it much. There are so many channels that I never use them all, but it's nice to have more than I actually need. It's 120 watts so there's really no shortage of volume. Of course there are 1/4" jacks on the back for the FX loop, foot switch, and the other standard stuff. The lighting of the knobs on the front have a cool look on a dark stage too. // 9

Sound: This is the area where I have a slight issue with this amp. It sounds GOOD, but it doesn't sound GREAT. Maybe it's just me because for someone wholly plays metal, it would be great The rectifier and modern settings are pretty good and it can definitely sound like a metal amp. However, not all of my songs are like rock songs, so I need a great clean sound. I guess the tone is where I have a real problem, because this amp and cab have a very dark tone. Sometimes that's helpful to me but often it isn't. Still, it sounds good for the right person. It has lots of channels than can be programmed and its nice, even though its a bit of a pain to cycle from channel 4 to channel 1. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I travel with it and have never had a problem with it. Seems durable enough, just like most things from Behringer. I cantilevered it into the trailer and don't worry about it falling apart. I'll be the first to admit that my equipment takes a little abuse. Not unnecessary abuse, but regular abuse that our stuff goes through when traveling, meaning the load-up to go to a show is slow and deliberate, but after the show its a mad dash to get the hell out of there. Things just land in odd places because we often load out in the dark. I've found my head on its top next to the door. Pick it up and get it back to work. // 9

Overall Impression: I play country music. Some tunes have a classic vibe, but most of our music borders on southern rock. I guess one would describe us as country rock, which is a very modern, kick-your-teeth-in brand of country music with HOT guitars and driving bass. But we do get quiet occasionally. This amp does its job well. It's plenty loud and the foot switch is a necessity. It's not hard to program and the modeling is as good as any I have used. Built big and heavy to travel well. Overall I do like it, but I do use rack gear with it to make the sound a little more to my liking. Used the foot switch for awhile and it works, but I went back to my trusty pedal board. Video from YouTube:

// 8

More Behringer reviews rating category latest review
+ UM100 Ultra Metal 7.8 Guitar Effects 09/03/2014