V-Tone GMX212 Review

manufacturer: Behringer date: 06/17/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Behringer: V-Tone GMX212
The GMX212 offers 2 full-featured modeling channels that boast 3 classic guitar amps, 3 speaker simulation models plus 3 gain modes each - all individually selectable.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Features: 9.6
 8.6
 9.2
reviews (13) 30 comments vote for this gear:
V-Tone GMX212 Reviewed by: ClashRocker66, on april 19, 2005

Sound: As I said before I use humbuckers through my Les Paul Standard. Suits my style fine, the distortion is crazy, you can get it crunchy and lots of bark, especially with my treble switch on my guitar flipped on. But you can also distort it only slightly and get a pretty cool distortion for softer rock. Also distorting the clean channels is pretty cool. You can make it sound like southern rock, or slower rock, think Lynard Skynyrd: Sweet Home Alabama. You can actually match that distortion perfectly with the gain on 6, the amp on California, the mode on clean, and the speaker on UK. The clean channel doesn't get distorted no matter what the volume unless you turn the gain past 3 on any volume. The effects seem to lean toward the distortion channel though in terms of how good they sound, although there are quite a few that work nice with the clean channel on. If you were to rate the distortion (how "brutal") with 1 being clean/clear and 10 being something like screaching power metal, I'd say you can get it between 2 (there is a little dirt on the clean but it's not noticable if you play on the tweed setting, but it's very quiet like that) and 7 or 8 for rock stuff. That seems like a pretty good range for me since my range of music I play is right in there anyways. Of course you're not gonna get a great metal distortion, but if you turn the mids to down to about just lower than half, and keep the highs and lows up pretty high you get a nice fat metal sound, but it's not screaming by any means. Once again, these distortions are the reason pedals were invented. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing for more than 4 years now. My friend owns a Fender FM212 which I compare it to, and I'd say this one beats it in almost every aspect except maybe volume, which by no means is quiet for this amp (GMX212). The tweed channel on my amp sounds just as good as his Fender's clean channel. If it were stolen I'd probably save up for this amp, although if I had the cash I might just go after a halfstack of some sort, but it would probably be a Behringer halfstack. I chose this amp because it was the cheapest in it's class of 212's but also as I said before I had already played my friend's FM212 and I just gave this one a try, because maybe it's just me but I can't stand the Fender's distortion. Overall, it's a great buy. I impress myself when I play it and I impress all of my friends and people who play it. It's an amazing amp and for $100 less than something comparable to this amp, this is the one to choose. // 10

V-Tone GMX212 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 21, 2005

Purchased from: Music Go Round - Richfield, Minnesota

Features: This thing has a ton of features. It had more features than any amp in the store, actually. Chorus, Reverb, Flanger, Echo, those type of things. But the awesome ones are the wah (effect 72), the "wawawawawawawawa" type of vibrating wah (effect 74), and my personal favorite is effect number 96. Want more distortion than anything you can imagine? Turn the low to 10, mid to 1, high to 10. Put it on California, Hot, and US for the 3 channel effects. Put the master volume down to 3, turn the level on your channel to 7 if you want gain, 8 if you're gutsy, 9 if you've got balls, and 10 if you're insane. Turn the effect level to 99. Turn the effect on. You'll probably jump at first cause it's insanely loud, but at a level of 9 or 10 you can't even hear your notes because it's just fuzz. Think about the level of distortion on The Velvet Underground's "I Heard Her Call My Name". It also has a footswitch - one button to switch channels, one to turn the effects on or off, and if you hold the effect down for a few seconds it shuts off and goes into tuner mode (which I don't recommend. The tuner sucks. But it is a nice feature, and a way to quiet down inbetween songs during a show). Another nice feature are some big metal fins on the back to prevent it from heating up, which is definitely something I need. My last amp (a 15 watt solid-state practice amp) blew because it got too hot. This thing has never gotten really hot. I've played it very very loud for 30-40 minutes and it's not even really that warm. One thing it doesn't have though is a reverb dial. Instead, that is an effect. Hell, my old Peavey 15 watt practice amp had a reverb dial. This thing is a gig amp! It should have a reverb dial. Even a little amount of reverb is always healthy. // 10

Sound: OK, I don't exactly have the greatest guitars in the world. I have a Washburn Maverick BT4 (hey, don't laugh, this thing is as good as your Squire Strat) and an Epiphone Les Paul Jr. (don't laugh at this either, I got it for $40). The amp's sound I would rate at pretty good. As everyone says, the clean channel is really quiet. But I don't really care, I never use it. My 'Drive' dial is always at 10, sometimes I try to push it to 11 but it can't go further. The reason I do this is that the regular distortion is just a little wimpy. Don't put the low at 10, that will shake the speakers and be a bit damaging and just sound really crappy. Put the low at maybe 8, mid at 1 and high at 10, which is about the best distortion setting I can think of. Your first impression will be that it's pretty damn good. But it's a solid state. It's not a Marshall, it's not a Fender. Oh yeah, it'll give you that Metallica sound, no problem. But it can't deliver a really nasty, dirty, garage rock/grunge/noise rock/superfuzz type of tone, which is really what I like. It's not going to give you a sound like Hendrix gets live, for example. But I guess that's because it's not an incredibly huge Marshall, and it's not a tube. It's tone is what leaves me wanting a bit more, is basically what I've been saying. But it is loud. You can do shows with this thing. Another downside is that with the speaker setting on US, the sound is kind of distant. Put it on the UK setting and it sounds right there, in your face, AC/DC style. Put it on US and it sounds like you have the presence dial down a bit. But you only notice this if you switch between the UK and US dials right next to eachother. Take a look at the back of the amp though. Two 50 watt Jensen speakers which were made in Italy. These speakers are used in a few certain very high quality Fender amps, so these ain't some poor quality no-name speakers. These things have OOMPH! I was definitely surprised to see those in there. These are some of the best speakers you can get. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It seems very reliable. I would definitely use it at a show, because it's loud and more than enough power to get a good sound. It's really big and bulky, too. This thing is 2 1/2 feet wide, about a 1 1/2 feet high and 53 pounds. 53 pounds doesn't seem like a lot, but it's pretty damn wide and it has one measley rubber handle on the top to hold it (which I sometimes thing might just rip off because it's so flimsy) so it is kind of difficult to move around. As I said in features, it takes a long while for it to get real hot and overloaded. It can do shows no sweat. I bought mine very very slightly used and taken to no shows, so when I got it, it had no warranty. So I sure as hell hope it's reliable and durable. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a few certain styles. I do many Sonic Youth style noise rock freakouts on effect #96, I play some very very heavy stuff like The Melvins (to get this sound, put on effect #96, put the low up, turn the tone all the way down on your guitar and do some riffs on the E string with your palm muting it a little bit. Hell yeah), and I do some old school hardcore punk style stuff (early Hsker D, Minor Threat, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, etc) so I'm always using distortion. It is impressive. If it were lost or stolen, I would try to find one again, but I would have a tough time coming up with the cash. Best parts: easy to use, totally uncomplicated, loud, awesome effects, pretty good tones and distortion, for the price you absolutely cannot beat it. A Marshall with the same stats costs over twice as much. Seriously. Worst parts: Distortion tone could be better, but depending on your style of music, you'll probably think it's great. It's also pretty big and bulky. But I this was sitting in the store for $200 dollars. That is MASSIVELY cheap for what you get. I shouldn't be complaining at all. I'm not, really. I'm just telling you what you get. The bottom line is that if you can get this, preferrably slightly used for $100-$150 less like I got mine, buy it. It will not dissappoint you, but it will dissappoint your friend with the Peavey or the Crate or even the Fender amp. Heh heh heh. Basically, this is the cheapest 100 watt amp you can possibly find. Two 50 watt Jensen speakers. Those speak for themselves. And boy do they ever speak. // 10

V-Tone GMX212 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 21, 2009

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

Features: I won't ramble on and on about the features. Chances are, if someone is even reading this they've (hopefully) already done some homework about the amp. (Always double check facts quoted by random dudes on the internet.) That said, the mighty Behringer has two channels, two 12" Bugera speakers, and more than enough wattage to melt the faces of everyone in a large blast-radius. The 99 presets come in quite handy, though most players will almost certainly pick their favorite dozen or so and stick to them. My only beef with Behringer on this is that once you dial in a channel, once you Switch back the channel's setting go back to the default setting. Sure, you can use the optional foot controller (sells for $150 I think) but you'd better know programming and you'd better have a working understanding of German to use it. Other than this though, the features are nearly a bulls-eye in every respect. Also, the damn thing feels like it's make out of lead. This amp is rediciously heavy and should at least have the option of installing casters. // 9

Sound: Many of the reviews on here go on and on about how heavy the distortion gets. It's true. This amp will destroy your apartment/bedroom/gig with copius amounts of gain. However, anyone Who says it isn't suited to other styles is either a novice or just inattentive. To dial in a blues sound, just go with the British setting, leave the speaker EQ on flat and dial back the volume on the guitar. Same as anyone would do with any amp. Want Jazz? Try using the neck pickup on the guitar. This is an amp, people. It won't do the dirty work for you. All that over with, I was genuinely surprised by the clarity of the Bugera speakers. There is a reason why Behringer launched a series of semi-botique amps with that very namesake. They friggin' rock. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've been laying waste with the GMX212 for the better part of two or three years, during which I've never had an issue one with it. Which, come to think of it, is a pretty good thing, considering the mass of the manual shipped with the amp is in crazy German anyway. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this amp is to other combo amps what the Corvette to the automotive world. It's no Lambo (Fender CyberTwin) but it'll still give your ass a one way ticket to jail. Also like a 'Vette, this amp should not be a person's first car, I.e. first guitar amp. A beginner would have no idea how to take advantage of the numerous features this amp. For someone with some experience, however, this amp can delieve the goods night after night, and gig after gig. Whether it's metal, prog rock, classic rock, classical, anything really- it can do it. // 10

V-Tone GMX212 Reviewed by: Swordmaster, on july 19, 2004

Purchased from: ZZounds.com

Features: This amp has 99 onboard effects, 27 possible variations with the amp, distortion, and cabs, and two channels, footswitchable. The 99 effects are great, once you figure out what they do, and what they are, so make sure you get the manual with it. It gets great distortion out of its 100 watt head into two jensons. It took me a while to get a decent clean out of it, and now that I have it its alot quieter than the distortion channel, which is to be expected. But this thing gets plenty loud. And for the price, its the best best deal out there. // 10

Sound: Like I said you can get really heavy metal distortion to crytal clear with just a few switches. For the heavier sound, just turn up the bass nob. I really like the british with hi gain and the high on the three band equalizer turned all the way up. Its sounds great. For more of a metal, go to calif, hot, US, with the high and the bass all the way up. Sounds sweet. This thing gets great alround sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's built like a tank, simply stated. The speakers are protected, the nobs feel solid. everything works great. One time me and my friend put some ear plugs on and ed it to 10 everything and it worked great. This thing will last. // 10

Overall Impression: I play soft punk, some hard punk, and some rock. This thing can do whatever you need it too. I've been playing for 2 years, and this is my first "real" amp. I love it too. If it were stolen id buy it again in a heart beat. It can sound just like a Marshall, or it can get clean like a Fender. The only thing to make it perfect would be if the footswitch could change between effects, not just turn them on and off and switch channels. This is an awsome amp, worth every dollar spent. // 10

V-Tone GMX212 Reviewed by: Rockn_Clay, on december 24, 2004

Features: Ok when I first saw this amp I was amazed. It has 2 chanels, 2 50 watt Jensen speakers, comes with foot switch, loads of inputs in the back for headphones, extra speakers like everything you could ever plug into an amp. It has 99 preset sound effects built in aswell. It also has three different kind of amp sounds, three different speaker sounds, and three different guitar sounds. Now I bet this all sounds impressive but looks can be disceiving. // 10

Sound: You can make this amp so distorted its not funny, the three guitar settings are: clean, hi-gain and hot. So the distortion is fine but if you want a clean sound it wont go loud unless you distort it a little bit which is a let down because you can't get a good clean sound. When it is distorted you can barely here what you're playing its mainly just fuzz. The amp would only be good for heavy metal or hard rock. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't call this amp reliable with the amount of feedback it smells alot after playing for a meer 5 minutes. // 6

Overall Impression: If you see this amp have a good think about buying it. Make sure you have a look at all its features for your music style you play. I wasn't happy with it and I want to return it back to the shop. It really depends on your style with this amp. // 6

V-Tone GMX212 Reviewed by: leavmealone13, on july 26, 2006

Features: I play guitar in a hard rock/metal garage band in my neighborhood. The main reason I purchased this amp was to be heard over our drummer's double bass pedal. For this purpose it is very effective, however if I had purchased it with the intentions of using the effects I would be very dissapointed. The reverb effects work well, but I didn't find anything else to be usable. It has 2 channel's with a pedal to Switch channels or turn effects on and off. There is a slight delay, and the only thing I really use the channel switching for is going from soft to loud, or clean to distorted. // 8

Sound: It's hard for me to rate this because until my new ESP arrives, I'm using an Ibanez guitar from the jumpstart package I purchased slightly more than a year ago. When I played with my neighbor's Schecter guitar however, the sound quality was very good. The main problem is that it can't produce as much distortion as I would like at high voulumes without producing a large amount of feedback. It creates a lot of excess noise, but none that can be noticed when playing. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've had the amp for about 4 months now but I think its been through everything. Until I got a good practice amp for my home, I had to carry it to our drummer's garage about 3 times a week, and from this experience it is built to be strong. I weigh about 150lbs. and can stand on it with out worrying. There hasnt been any decline in performance since I purchased it, and it has been used heavily. // 10

Overall Impression: For my style of music, it is a good match. The main priority of my new amp was to be loud and it works excellently for that. If I lost this amp, I'd probably look for an amp similar in size without the effects and save money for some pedals. It was a very good value for the size of the amp and I am satisfied with my purchase. // 9

V-Tone GMX212 Reviewed by: fretsonfire74, on august 11, 2007

Purchased from: Bavas Music City

Features: This is a great amp with plenty of power behind it. It has 2 x 12" speakers with 60W coming from each of them. It has 2 channels, but not one clean and one overdrive. Just 2 channels. So in consequence, I can't get a loud clean with out just a little distortion, but sometimes this small amount of distortion can be a good touch. The HI gain setting with a UK speaker is much like a Marshall on overdrive, so real crunchy distortion, but still clear. The "hot" setting has heaps of distortion, great for metal and crazy fast solos. If you're playing a bigger gig, it has 2 jacks for another speaker, or can plug into a PA system, so overall, very versatile, and as far a solid state amps go, it's great. // 8

Sound: My guitar is a Samick Greg Bennett Interceptor, which I love, and has SSH, so I can shred on it, and the amp copes wonderfully. I play mainly classic rock, sometimes some metal, a range of other stuff, and it's great for that. My guitars neck single coil is noisy, so I don't think it's the amp, but when using the humbucker, there is no noise what'soever unless I lean my guitar against the amp. It can play anything from blues to metal and is like I said before, it's not real great on the cleans. The distortion has great crunch behind it, unlike a lot of other cheaper amps I've played through, the distortion is really weak, this is far and away the best amp for it's price range. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can always depend on it, I've had it for a few months and it hasn't given me any need to even take the manual out of the plastic, it's great. it's solid as a rock, never looks or feels like breaking or even chipping, haven't torn the vinyl on the outside or anything yet. Being a solid state amp, tubes don't need replacing or anything, so overall, very low maintenance amp and will last for years without touching any of the setup. I wouldn't ever need a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: When I first saw this amp, I thought holy crap, it looks way bigger than it did on the net, which I was happy about, because I get more Drive for less money. I was 100% happy with my purchase, it was on special, usually something like $500, so I was stoked. it's hard to lose an amp, so I don't think there's any risk of that happening, and in someone trying to steal it? they wouldn't be able to get far, I weighed it because I wanted to know how heavy it was exactly, and it was 24 kilograms, it weighs a tonne, which is no problem because I don't take it far. Just to gigs, and then it's from the house to the car, then from the car to the gig, it only travels about 50 metres a time. I've compared it to my friends Marshall, and it comes really close, I'd go as far as to say it matches it. I chose it because it was a cheap amp with plenty of power, and I was happy with my choice. If I could wish something, it's that it wasn't a Behringer, it deserves the respect of another amp. // 10

V-Tone GMX212 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 07, 2008

Features: This amp is great for any kind of style of music. It gives great distortion and a clean or another distortion channel. It has 2x12" speakers in it and sounds great. My brother had got one for his b-day a while back and I heard it and wanted one so I asked for one for my b-day and got one. I am so glad! // 10

Sound: On this amp you have a clean and distortion channel. The distortion is heavy and with the 99 effects built in, it sound great. I use an Epiphone les paul on it and it sounds good. It gets lound and still sounds great. It gives great feedback and gain.The distortion is about the best distortion I've ever heard. // 10

Reliability & Durability: You will not regret getting this amp. It compares to most half stacks. And it fram will keep it together. This amp has never let me down. It would do good gigs and propably concerts. You could use this without ever buying another amp. This amp has never broke nor let me down. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock, blues, and metal and this amp sounds great with it. I've been playing for about a year and I used to use a RP-80 and a Squier and Epiphone amp together with pedal. The coolest thing about it is the distortion that sounds great and on the back panel it has two outputs for loudspeakers so you can use a cabinet with it. // 10

V-Tone GMX212 Reviewed by: EL1XER, on october 30, 2008

Price paid: C$ 150

Purchased from: Dude in Cali

Features: 2007 amp, got used form a dude in cali when I was on vacation. It is versatile enough for me to play my metal (mostly a Metallica sound) and Switch channels to a completely clean sound for whole songs, or for interludes/intros. It has two channels and a foot pedal to Switch between channels when away from the amp and has a whole load of effects, like 100 or something, haven't even tried them all. I wish It had some presets for bands or songs like a spider III but that's basically the only amp I know with those. It definately has the power for me, I haven't even turned it up all the way and it hurts my ears and can knock a water bottle off of a table. // 10

Sound: I use a Jackson DK2 with Duncan Designed Pick-Ups and it howls, I couldn't imagine it with a DimeBucker or something like that. It suits my style of playing very well (metal) and is versatile enough to get a great clean sound. This amp can make a whole variety of sounds with the effects that are built in and I haven't nearly explored them all. The clean channel is never distorted at the settings that I have it on (send me a message if you can't get a good clean sound). The distortion can be as brutal as you want it to be, or as sublte as you want it to be. This is an extremely versatile amp. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would bet my life on this amp, I have never needed a back-up on stage and can't afford a back up anyway. It has never broken down and has never been serviced, it sounds Brand New. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal and this amp suits it perfectly. I've been playing enough to be equivalent probably to 2 years and this suits it perfectly. If this amp were stolen I'd buy this or maybe something higher end, but only because I'm getting better and having more stage time, not because of it's quality. I love the fact that it easily switches between channels with the foot pedal and has a built in tuner. I hate nothing about it. I've compared it to peavys and krates and this surpasses them by far, only thing I wish it had is song/band presets, but I can fine tune to those myself. // 10

V-Tone GMX212 Reviewed by: decamel, on january 08, 2009

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: Made in 2006, this is still in the "new" area for amps in my world. This little dual channel amp has just about got it all for the practice amp, and to be honest would do just fine at most shows provided there is a PA. This like it's little brother amps the GMX--- have very nice true analog modeling built in. Nearly all of the "classic" effects are here as well as a few you probably wished you would have gotten with you current amp! // 10

Sound: All dual Seymour Duncans on all of the following guitars. BC Rich Mockingbird, Schecter Vampira, Gothic Les Paul. Generally speaking here this is played in my family room. Tall ceilings, hardwood floors, and 4 windows. For someone that plays rock, or a variation there of is going to find this to suit nicely. You'll generally enjoy this amp as well for blues and country. I've found that jazz licks, well you really need to play with the settings to get something that sounds really good here in my opinion. The 24-bit stereo multi-effects processor with world-class effects such as chorus, flanging, phasing, rotary, auto-wah, echo, delay, compressor and various effect combinations offers 99 user presets and MIDI control. Foot Switch included. Let's not forget about the very nice digital tuner built in that really helps in dark places. When played with loud volume this is an awesome amp. On clean at 8 master volume there is buzz coming from the room around you, rather then the amp itself. You like Death Metal? Preset 95-99 are for you. You like Peter Frampton, presets 72-74 are for you. Starting to get picture here? Even if you have a few pedals that you always have to use, this amp will happily accept them. I've used phasers, wah pedals, and distortion pedals in conjunction with this amp and always been able to control both sound and feedback regardless of what extra effects I've added. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Never dropped it, simply put it this amp is heavy as a half stack nearly. But I will say that it seems to add to the tones you get from it. Add that into a solid base and it's not going to move unless you really lean into it with your shoulder. You really should not have any issues with this bad boy to be honest. The Jensen speakers are very high quality, and cooling via the large open vent in the back is ideal. Other then some standard dusting from time to time there is little else you would need to do. Dusting though is very key here, with the built in processor you'll want to keep all areas a free of dust as possible. // 10

Overall Impression: While I cannot say what this would sound like on a big stage, I can say that practice this amp will more then do. The only wish for this model is simply that I wish it had 2 more channels. However I will say that even if it did, I would find a use for even more then that. I would seriously recommend this amp to anyone that loves control over their sound in all ways. For your dollar you cannot go wrong with this amp. // 10

V-Tone GMX212 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 26, 2009

Purchased from: ebay

Features: I think the amp must have been made sometime in 2006 or after, as the manual has a copyright date of 2006. I bought it from an ebay shop as a Brand New b-grade item with warranty, b-grade because the cardboard box was tatty, but after unpacking I saw that this was indeed a Brand New amp, and even the little protective film over the FX LED was intact. The BUY-NOW price was 173 including 24-hour delivery. BARGAIN! I'm a novice bedroom player, so I just needed something basic to amplify my guitar however, connectivity was high on my list and this amp certainly has plenty of connectivity options! As for the 2x60 watts RMS amp, 12-inch stereo speakers and analogue FX, well I didn't intend to get that much amp for such little money, but I'm not complaining! It all looks and works great with more than enough OOOMPH! for home use. For the money this HAS to be a 10! // 10

Sound: Did I mention that I am a novice and that this is my first amp? Given that, I'm going to try and be as objective as possible and avoid any speculation. Here's what I do know... I tried endlessly to get a good grungy rock tone, but eventually found it better to just go clean and plug in my DigiTech FX pedal for the distorted stuff. No big deal. Having said that, this amp is warm and full sounding and has lovely, rich clean tones when set correctly. The onboard analogue FX are wonderful when plaid clean. They're so much warmer and nicer than my DigiTech RP155's clean effects, and although the Behringer lacks in FX editing and layering, the DigiTech has still been relegated to distortion FX only. Needless to say, both channels on the Behringer are set up for clean. How loud is it? Well I only play at home and I can't compare it to any other amps in this price range, but I can tell you this... Make sure you Live in a detached house with double/triple glazing before you crank over that master volume dial. This thing will Drive your neighbours nuts! I'm more than happy with the sound, but death metal freaks may want to look elsewhere. Looses 2 points for naff dirty channel. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Can I depend on it to sit in the corner of my bedroom and not fall to bits? I think so, yes. It's pretty damn heavy (25kg), feels pretty solid (apart from the plastic buttons) and all the connection plugs are metal not plastic. I'm not a pro, and this isn't pro-grade gear. After all, a pair of pro-grade headphones would cost more than this big amp cost me, so given the price paid and the alternatives at this price point, I would say that this is a pretty solid amp for an amateur Who looks after his gear. Looses 1 point for plastic dials & buttons. // 9

Overall Impression: C'mon, I paid 173 delivered for a Brand New 2x60 watt RMS amp with 2 12 inch speakers and lots of wonderful stereo FX. There are a few cheap ones out there if you shop around, and I think for the money (225 or less) you cannot do better. It even comes with a metal cased foot Switch! If it were stolen I'd be prepared to pay up to 225 for a new one. Above that price though, things get interesting in the form of the newer breed of modeling amps (Vypyr 75 & Vox vt50 etc) although it has to be said that they are still significantly smaller amps. My final impression is that you can probably find a better built amp, or better FX, defiantly better distortion elsewhere, but I don't think you'll get such a complete package as the Behringer for the money. It really is a lot of amp! Looses 1 point for being a jack of all trades but a master of none. I still say the distortions are cr^p. // 9

V-Tone GMX212 Reviewed by: thepostman6801, on january 13, 2011

Purchased from: EBay

Features: Wow! What can I say? I've been playing guitar for close to 30 years (amateur and professionally), and I've owned Fender, Marshall, Carvin, Peavey, among others. This is by FAR the best amp I've had for the money! 2-12" speakers (Jensens), 50 watts per channel, stereo, with all the inputs and outputs you ever need! I purchased the Behringer midi board that goes with this amp and it's great! First amp I have ever owned that I don't use any foot pedal effects with! No Distortion Pedal! And you can get so many sounds out of this! 100 built-in effects that can be tweaked if you have the midi board. Plus built in tuner! What else do you need? (Maybe someone to carry it for you!) // 10

Sound: I play my Gibson and Epiphone electrics through this (Humbucker Equipped). Mostly rock, metal, alternative, some blues. This thing can get serious distortion or very clean sounds and everything in between! I have a couple Peavey amps I use for travel, and their sound doesn't compare to the GMX212! They sound so artificial! Plenty of power to play with my band in most small and mid-sized venues. It wouldn't be loud enough for an open stadium, but that's why we have a PA system! But it could surely get the law called on you! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had this amp for over a year now, gigs, practice etc, and so far no problems at all! Of course I take care of all my equipment. It is electronic after all and not indestructible! I gig with it regularly, and don't take another amp with me. Very dependable! // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is without a doubt the very best amp you could possibly buy for the money! If it were stolen or destroyed I would go straight out and buy another! In fact, I may just buy another for a backup amp to leave at home so I don't have to tote it back and forth from practice. // 10

V-Tone GMX212 Reviewed by: Jackie Lawless, on june 17, 2011

Purchased from: A-OK Pawn

Features: - 2006 Behringer. - 2 12" Jenson speakers: - 60 watts each. - 2 independent channels with their own independant volume levels: - channel one is best for cleans - channel 2 is best for distortion - Each channel has a Drive, Low Mid High and Level knob. - 27 different amp models which can be mix n' matched - 3 amps simulations - 3 speaker simulations - 3 gain simulations - Numerous effects controlled by an FX selector and saturation knob[which can be remixed and refined into your own different combinations with the not-included MIDI controller]: - chorus - flanger - phasing - rotary - auto-wah - echo - delay - compressor - distortion - 99 user presets with different combinations of the above effects. - A tuner - Headphone jack for quiet jamming. - Adjustable Aux input and dedicated CD input for playback or other line-level signals - L/R outputs for speaker extensions [i.e. a speaker cabinet] - An effects loop - Dual footswitch: - channel selection - effect bypass - tuner activation and theres the Presence and Master Volume switch. Although, I do wish I could attach rollers on the bottom. This thing is heavy, and has only a leather strap to carry it with. // 10

Sound: I use humbucker equipped guitars, and I can literally find any sound I want on this amp. It does everything, and it does it well. I can get it from a super high output fire breather, to warm tweedy melodies, and back with a few small tweaks. It may take a little while to warm up, but when it does, its ready to go. It sounds great. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I picked it up from a pawn shop, and to my suprise, this thing's a Diamond in the rough. This is a gigging amp. I've seen these perform live, and sounded awesome. I've used mine, loud and long, with no problems at all. The giant heat sink on the back pretty much garuntees it wont overheat. Its ready to go. I will say this, though. The knobs and Inputs are made of plastic. I have had accidents which resulted in me having to replace the input jack. Behringers are said to be hard to work with since there's alot of circuitry back there, but I got it repaired [cost effectively I might add]and it hasn't broken since. Treat her right, and she'll return the love. // 8

Overall Impression: I play heavy metal for the most part, and some industrial metal. This amp can handle it. To think that it cost only 130 dollars and was collecting dust in a pawn shop? Anyone who talks shit on this amp, is either an all tube purist, or they couldnt dial in the sound because they have no clue what they're doing. I doubt this amp will ever get stolen because it weighs so damn much, but it's all muscle. I would definitely look into this amp if you want a great practice, medium gig, recording amp. // 8

More Behringer reviews rating category latest review
+ X V-AMP 7.1 Guitar Effects 12/19/2014