HT-60 Soloist Review

manufacturer: Blackstar date: 09/23/2014 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Blackstar: HT-60 Soloist
2 Channels with 2 voicings on each channel plus a boost which can also be set up as a third channel. If you are looking for a gigging amp this should be on your list, the solo boost is a superb feature for gigging.
reviews (2) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
HT-60 Soloist Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 15, 2012

Features: 2 Channels with 2 voicings on each channel plus a boost which can also be set up as a third channel. Reverb with 2 different voicings and ISF for fine tuning your sound. Master volume, presence and body and an FX loop. For full list of features see the Blackstar website. It is big and heavy for a 1x12 but the handles on the side help to carry it around, also has sockets for castors to be fitted. // 9

Sound: Sounds just great, I've owned or played through some high end Marshalls, Laney, Trace Elliot, Engl and ADA and this one is a winner! I play mainly rock / pop / blues and 80's metal, this does it all. The distortion cleans up fairly well with the guitars volume to give those in between rock tones and the boost is great for solo's, couldn't do without it. Cleans are good too, a little bass heavy maybe with only the one tone control on this channel but still a great sound. Master volume is great to keep things sensible but still be able to crank that OD volume to get it singing. Cuts through a band mix very well too. Very much like a HOT rodded Marshall but way more versatile. Worth a 9 rating? I think so, maybe a 10 if the clean had a bass knob but don't let that put you off. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It seems solidly built but I've not had it long enough to pass judgement on reliability, not had any problems with the HT5 but that doesn't get moved around much really so time will tell. I had to enter a rating for this section so am judging it on my HT5. // 9

Overall Impression: Love it! Best amp I've owned. If you are looking for a gigging amp this should be on your list, the solo boost is a superb feature for gigging and that's why I chose it over the HT-40. Even though it's 60 watts with the master volume you can get a good sound at lower volumes but it's not a bedroom amp, if that's what you want get the HT-5. As with any amp sound is a personal thing so try one first, but for me it beats anything else I've tried. // 9

HT-60 Soloist Reviewed by: DR GIt, on september 23, 2014

Features: My Blackstar is at least 3 years old now, and although I don't gig, I play it kinda loud for a bedroom setting. My wife is an angel. Made in Korea, and thus far I'm still using the original tubes and never had any issues. Dependable amp so far. Its the bottom Tube line for Blackstar so its made of MDF wood. I bought the Blackstar ext cab for it, cause my one complaint was I felt it needed 2 12" speakers for some decent bottom end, and since I bought that I'm very happy with my tone. I play power blues, prog and classic rock most, and it covers everything I throw at it. The 2 channels and boost is perfect. The reverb is pretty decent too. // 9

Sound: As I stated above it covers all the genre's I play with it... It won't do death metal and there are better choices for country music. It covers Blues/rock/prog rock/intmediate metal well. Takes pedals really well. Pitch Black Tuner/Teese Wizard Wah/Basic Audio Solar Myth fuzz/Bogner Blue overdrive - pedal use for mid crunch/strymon mobius and Timeline in loop. Full rich sound, not very bright though like say a Fender amp. // 9

Reliability & Durability: 3 years and still kickin the original tubes... Starting to get a little hiss on my OD channel, so I picked up some winged C's EL34's and a few Tung Dol 12AX7's. Waiting to find out the bias before putting them in... I'm prayin it will last my lifetime cause it sounds great. The sound of this amp is like if a Marshall and Mesa amp had a sibling, it would be a Blackstar. // 9

Overall Impression: I play hard rock blues mostly, and classic rock and progressive rock too. I wish this model came with a 2x12" as an option but overall really happy with this amp... I've been a Marshall and Mesa guy the last 40 years, and have been playing for 45 years. My first amp was a Electro-Harmonix M. Matthews Freedom amp (battery and AC) thought I'd try this amp out, and I was floored... It's a keeper... I did not compare it to the new Marshalls or Mesas as it sounded good to me... Yeah, I'd replace this amp if stolen, it rocks. // 9

More Blackstar reviews rating category latest review
+ ID:30TVP 9.3 Guitar Amplifiers 09/01/2014