1960 Review

manufacturer: Bugera date: 04/18/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Bugera: 1960
This is a copy of the famous Marshall plexie. I play all forms of metal, along with Jazz, Blues, and Rock. Alone this amp can to the last 3 with no problem, to get metal tones you'll need a boost.
 6.8
 6.5
review (1) pictures (3) 5 comments vote for this gear:
1960 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 18, 2012

Purchased from: eBay

Features: 2011, made in China. This is a copy of the famous Marshall Plexie. Has the same knobs as the Plexie Presence, Bass, Middle, Treble, Vol 1, Vol 2. Single channel, 4 inputs, FX loop, 150 watts (so they say, but I'm pretty sure it's 100) tube power. Not very many features but that's the way I like it. // 6

Sound: I use several guitars with this amp, but I'm only going to use my Jackson as a example. With my Jackson RR24M without a boost from my Metal Muff w/top boost I get a nice crunch with both volume knobs cranked and the presence knob cranked, think AC/DC, early Judas Priest, early Iron Maiden. With the Metal Muff I get Brutal, screaming tones, think Death, Belphegor, Cannibal Corpse. But the amp alone is not very diverse, classic rock and that's about it. Now as with any non-master volume amp it's F--KING loud, I use a Carl's Custom guitars volume box to tame this beast. Now I just want to say that this does NOT sound like the real thing, BUT it does come very close. People say that since they don't sound like a real Plexie that you should save and buy the real thing, but keep in mind that a real Plexie is like 2000 bucks but this is only 350. I use a Randall RT412RC cab with this amp. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It's made by Bugera, which is owned by Behringer, so obviously I was worried about this things reliability, but it's been about a year and it's still goin strong. Not sure it will last 30+ years like a real Plexie but we'll just wait and see. Lots of people bash Bugera some cause their amps have blown up others cause they just bash shit cause they got nothin better to do. I have gigged and taken it to band practice and she's held up fine. I have only had for a year though so I can't really speak for it in the long haul, so a 7 it gets. // 7

Overall Impression: I play all forms of metal, along with Jazz, Blues, and Rock. Alone this amp can to the last 3 with no problem, to get metal tones you'll need a boost. I've been playin for about 5 years and I've owned and played many amps, is this best amp ever, no, but in it's price range it's certainly worth a look. I love that it's just a straight forward amp that can every pedal I've got and sound great, I also love the FX loop which the original Plexie didn't have, so that's a little improvement on Bugera's part. Overall looking for Plexie but don't got the cash, this baby will get very close to the original, and with a few upgrades (better tubes, and a correct bias as most Bugera's have a incorrect bias) it sound even closer to the original. // 8

More Bugera reviews rating category latest review
+ V55HD 8.8 Guitar Amplifiers 04/03/2014