6260-212 Review

review (1) pictures (3) 13 comments vote for this gear:
6260-212 Reviewed by: ChiknChunkCheek, on august 12, 2011

Price paid: C$ 800

Purchased from: LA Music

Features: Made in 2007 by Bugera, a sub-company of Behringer who is best known for their audio equipment. Features 4 6L6 tubes (can be switched out for EL34) and 5 12AX7 pre-amp tubes, 120 watts. Two channels: Clean, with a crunch mode Switch and and a bright switch, and a Lead channel. Both channels share an EQ but have their own seperate volume and gain. Master reverb and presence knobs. Two inputs, high gain and low gain. Also features an Effects Loop. Comes with a heavy duty foot Switch which allows you to Switch between Clean and Lead channels, active reverb, and activate the Effects Loop. // 7

Sound: My main guitars are a Gibson Flying V with stock 500T and 490R pickups, Gibson Les Paul Traditional with stock '57 classic pickups, and a Schecter Hellraiser C7 with EMG 707 pickups. I play a mix of metal (think Anthrax, Pantera, Avenged Sevenfold), jazz, and classic rock. I'll start off with the clean channel on this amp. I always run this amp through the low gain input if I am recording clean guitar tones. The clean channel is clean as long as you leave the gain below 9 o'clock. Once you pass that point you start to get a distorted tone coming from the amp. I always use the bright Switch on the amp because it opens the amp up more and allows you to hear your high notes better. When the bright Switch is off, the tone tends to sound a bit muddy. The crunch channel on the amp is not very good. I avoid using it, instead by cranking the gain on the clean channel so it starts to naturally break up and give you a crunchy sound. If I am doing this I also disengage the bright Switch to allow the low end to get a bit more growl and punch to it. The lead channel is where this amp truly shines. The amount of gain on tap on this amp is astounding, too much at times. I always use this amp on the low gain input, unless I am using a guitar with EMG pickups. The high gain input gives the amp even more gain to play with which can be too much for many low output pickups which just causes a lot of hum and feedback to occur. The low end on this amp is just amazing. The two settings I tend to use on this amp are a 666 setting (bass, mids, treb all 6) with the gain at 4-6, or I put the bass at 7, mids at 4, and the treble at 10, with the gain at 5. When the gain gets put too high, many guitars will get a hum coming off of them when palm muting low strings. The amp does sound amazing though, all notes are very well articulated when playing a nice big chord. The amp sounds amazing at all volumes, whether playing in your bedroom or playing in a club, the amp performs. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The amp that I recieved had a dead tube on arrival, as with many Bugera amps from the first few runs. Not knowing much about tube amps at the time, I went a year with that one dead tube (white powder looking thing at bottom of it, wouldn't light up) until I finally decided to get it replaced. I was out of warranty on the amp so I took it to my local amp tech and they got Ruby matched tubes to replace the set. After that the amp just sounded even better than I thought it had before. The footswitch is very heavy duty and can withstand being dropped very well but, I have a problem with mine now after owning it for 2 1/2 years. The buttons do not quite work properly. Sometimes I will press the Clean button to go to the clean channel, and my effects loop will turn on, or my reverb. This can be a problem on stage if you are switching channels in the middle of a song. The problem is probably due to wires in the cable being damaged. I would definately gig without a back up amp IF, I had a working foot switch. // 6

Overall Impression: The Bugera 6260-212 is a beast of an amp. It definately can pump out the tones that I need as mainly a metal guitarist, but it can still get the smooth tones I need for when it's time to mellow out and play jazz for hours. If the amp were lost or stolen I would definately buy another one but not before first trying out a Marshall JVM205H, I heared those things are AMAZING amps. If I were to tell Bugera to change anything about this amp it wouldn't be the amp necessarily, it would be the foot switch. It would be nice for there to be the option to Switch to crunch on the clean channel or even activate the bright switch. I would definately recommend this amp to others who are looking to buy an affordable high gain amp. // 8

More Bugera reviews rating category latest review
+ V55HD 8.8 Guitar Amplifiers 04/03/2014