6260 Review

8.4
reviews (4) pictures (3) 7 comments vote for this gear:
6260 Reviewed by: Seef, on october 16, 2008

Purchased from: 8th Street Music

Features: Hand-built 120-Watt amplifier driven by 4 x 6L6 valves (convertible to EL34). Classic 2-channel preamp design (Clean, Crunch, Lead) featuring 5 x 12AX7 valves for terrifying punch and mind-blowing gain. Integrated high-class reverb with dedicated Reverb control for each channel. Vintage Equalizer section with dedicated Bass, Mid and Treble controls. Classic Presence control per channel for awesome sound shaping. Impedance Switch (4, 8 and 16 Ohm) to match virtually any speaker cabinet. Heavy-duty footswitch for Channel selection and FX Loop function included. High-quality components and exceptionally rugged construction ensure long life // 9

Sound: I play and American Strat with a Duncan JB and an RR3 with a J-50BC. I play a lot of metal and it suits it perfectly. Usually I put the gain by 10 but not with this amp. The gain is mind blowing. It's not noisy at all which is a really nice thing. If the strings are muted all your going to hear is a slight buzz on distortion and nothing on clean. The amp has Clean, Crunch and Lead but no effects other than reverb. I usually don't play clean at all but it sounds so good with this amp I tend to find myself playing with it. Cranking the reverb on clean sounds cool too. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had this amp for very long but overall it seems to be built very solid. The only thing that seems cheap on it is the knobs which are plastic and could probably break off if you kept turning it past 10 to hard ( which you will probably never need to do! ). Other than everything is top notch. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall I love this amp. It's louder than anyone should ever need to play and the tone you can get out of it is awesome. I have never played a 5150 so I can't really compare but it sure beats the hell out of any solid state I've played. The closest competitor to this that I'd see would probably be the Vavleking which is known to just blow up. One thing I would have asked for is a separate equalizer for distortion and clean. This amp suits heavier genres the best but you can get some nice tones for a lot of other sounds. // 9

6260 Reviewed by: drewcadaver, on november 07, 2011

Features: I'm not entirely sure what year my amp was built, so I'm afraid I can't tell you that. What I can tell you is that it is a 120 Watt, very high gain, all valve amp. It has 5 preamp valves and 4 power tubes. I only really play one style of music, which is metal. It has 2 channels and comes with a sturdy metal footswitch, which gives you control of the reverb, fx loop and channel changing. I never really use the clean, or reverb, as I only really use the amp for gigging and the material I play doesn't have any need for it. The one thing I wish the amp had would be a seperate EQ for the clean channel, I might feel more inclined to use it if I could get a decent sound from it without interfering with the EQ of my rhythm sound. This amp has plenty of power, even at gigs I've never really had it past 5, but what do you expect from a 120 watt valve amp. // 7

Sound: I use this amp with either my Epiphone Prophecy EX, or my Jackson RR5, both of which have EMG active pickups. Both guitars sound great through the amp, although I tend to prefer the Epi. The amp suits my music style down to the ground, as it is a clone of the Peavey 5150/6505 amps. It has high gain and can produce great metal tones. The one downside to this monster gain is the amp is VERY noisy. I use the clean channel with the volume set to 0 to go silent between songs, this doesn't really cause issues for me, but for someone who actually used their clean, it could be a bit of a problem. I've never really messed about with trying to get other sounds, as embarrassing as it is, I've never really learned any other styles of playing, so wouldn't know where to start. From my limited experimenting with the clean channel, I wouldn't say it is particularly good, it sounds quite dull and bland. What I would say is this: if you are like me and want a great sounding metal amp with a hefty distortion, then this is your ideal candidate if you're on a budget. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp has never broken down on me once in a year of gigging it. There have been a few niggly issues, firstly, my power light stopped working, then the standby light as well. Neither of these things have affected the functioning of the amp, but it is slightly annoying. I also had a bizzare issue with the footswitch, where I couldn't get it to connect to the jack, I've since opened the amp up and removed a metal washer, which has rectified this issue. A year on and I'm still getting a good sound out of the factory tubes, however I'm thinking of replacing them with some high grade tubes to remove the hiss. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, the 6260 is a great match for a metal guitarist on a budget, especially if you're not looking for much from a clean channel. If you want cleans too, perhaps try the 6262, which has 2 EQs. I've been playing now about 6 years, this is my 3rd head. Prior to it, I've owned a solid state Crate and a Peavey Valveking. I took a risk selling the VK to buy the Bugera, but I think it has paid off. If it were to be lost or stolen, I would probably replace it with a 6262, and I'd probably buy one of the newer "Infinium" models, as the valve life increaser sounds great. I love the fact that no matter where I'm playing, I've got a simple setup, no need for tonnes of stompboxes as the Bugera delivers on tone straight out the box. The only thing I don't like I the hiss, which is really loud, probably the loudest I've heard. This is easily controlled with a noise gate, and I've got a Decimator, so I'm sorted in that department. The only amp I compared it to was the Valveking and Tonewise, it definitely comes out the winner, the sound is beefier and more brutal. I would say the amp overall is a 7/10, because although there are some niggle quality issues, I've had nothing that has stopped the amp working permanently, even after a year of being battered about in the back of cars and vans along with regular gigging. The sound is monstrous, probably unbeatable for the price, I'm recording a full length album with my band at the moment using the Bugera for both sets of guitar tracks, I'll post some clips on my profile later. // 7

6260 Reviewed by: Joowst, on february 05, 2010

Features: Behringer Bugera 260 Top 120 Watt All-Tube head with 2 Channels. Features: 120 Watt, 4x6L6 Poweramp tubes (optional usage with EL34, ) 5x12AX7 Preamp tubes. 2 Channels, 3 Sound-Modes: Clean, Crunch & Lead. Reverb, Equalizer Section with Bass, Middle, Treble & Presence. // 7

Sound: I'm using a LTD EX-401 with EMG 81/60. I usually play Metallica, but I'm also into more classic like Dire straits. It took me some time to get the a sound I like. I like some high sounds like Master Of Puppets on the lead channel, and I must say that I think it's sounds awesome. It produces very little noise which is good for some riffs I play. I don't want to much feedback. Also solo's sound pretty good, with a bit of reverb or something. Because it isn't noisy you can do some pretty good soloing too. The problem that I'm finding is that there is only one EQ. So when I play clean songs I definitely need to change the EQ, or you won't hear the lower strings. But when I change the EQ the distorted parts do not sound so good to me. I must say, maybe a better cab would solve this problem for a bit. Never used the crunch because it's get too loud and I don't want to change the volume all the time. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Never had a problem with it, but I haven't had this amp for long time. It's seems pretty solid though. I use it about every day and nothing's wrong with it. Let it warm-up a couple of minutes and then start playing. I think dropping it would still do harm, so just don't do that. I don't have to take it around and I don't think it will fall for itself. // 8

Overall Impression: I play at bedroom level and this amps suits me pretty good. The solid state before doesn't stand a chance against this one. Love the distortion it makes pretty good and noisless. The first time I played with a friend when after a while it was warmed-up I was blown away. The lead was just amazing. Also like the clean with reverb. With the chorus pedal it sounds even better. Nice clean sounds. The only thing I don't like about this amp is that there's only one EQ. Never thought it would bug me before. But now I would definitely get the 262 which has an EQ per channel. I'm very pleased with this amp. Pretty good as my first tube amp. Let it warm-up and it will blow you away. // 8

6260 Reviewed by: Corpse'r, on september 18, 2012

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: 120 watt high gain Valve amp, impedance switch, effects loop. This amp has an extreme amount of gain. Too much than what I know what to do with. Its a two channel amp but the clean has two modes and basically all it is, is one tone with various stages of gain cascaded on top of it. I would recommend an eq pedal along with a good noise reducer to get rid of that hiss that comes naturally out of high gain amps. It has only one 3 band eq with a master presence and reverb. The footswitch allows you to control reverb, fx loop, and channels along with the second mode on the clean by hitting the clean twice. Comes stock with Bugera tubes which I was not to fond of. But since I have the Infinium model, any tone can be found by the tube types. Comes with 4 power tubes and 5 12AX7's. // 9

Sound: I play thrash/death metal and I have more than enough gain at 6 on the lead. The reason I suggested the eq pedal is because it lacks in bottom end... But I'm sure an MXR 108 can solve that with ease. I play a B.C. Rich Exclusive with an Invader in the Bridge and a SH-2n Jazz in the neck position. And inbetween I'm running an ISP Decimator. Oh and I love the amount of headroom this amp has. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Seems to be built very well. But only time will tell. It has replaced my Peavey Valveking which has failed me. As aforesaid I have the Infinium model so Bugera claims that I don't have to worry about my tubes every year. They claim I can go ten years without a replacement but I've only had the amp for a few months so. // 9

Overall Impression: I'd recommend to go for the Infinium model. Cause I believe the regular one is only switchable from 6L6 tubes to EL34 power tubes. The Infinium circuit auto biases each tube and compensates for mismatched tubes. So those who do not care for the 6L6 or EL34, can very easily throw in some 6550's or 6V6's or a combination of them. The only thing that bothers me is that there is not enough low/bottom end on it. But that can be dealt with. // 9

More Bugera reviews rating category latest review
+ V55HD 8.8 Guitar Amplifiers 04/03/2014