BC30-212 Review

manufacturer: Bugera date: 01/12/2015 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Bugera: BC30-212
The BC30 212 was released in early 2010. This is a 2 channel amp that is modelled after the Matchless DC30.
 Features: 9.5
reviews (2) pictures (3) 9 comments vote for this gear:
BC30-212 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 21, 2010

Price paid: C$ 600

Purchased from: AXE MUSIC

Features: The BC30 212 was released in early 2010. The amps shipped to suppliers during the month of March. This is a 2 channel amp that is modelled after the Matchless DC30. Side by side the amps look the same right down to the backlit face plate and controls. The amp has three 12AX7 tubes and four EL84 tubes. It also has a value rectifier vice a solid state one. There are two mismatched twelve inch speakers (80 and 100 watt) to give some extra tone. There is also a speaker reverse Switch to change the speaker phase. Something most wouldn't use unless you were into recording the tone and were doing backing tracks. Bother channels have their own effects loop. You can also reduce the power output from 30 watts to 15 watts. As for attaching external speaker cabinets, the amp is designed to handle any type of external speaker cabinet you throw at it. This is an extremely versatile amp. I gave this a 9 and not a 10 because I really, really miss Reverb... There is no reverb on this amp. // 9

Sound: If you have ever heard a Vox AC30, then you have a good idea what Channel 1 of the amp sounds like. Channel 1 has a volume, treble and bass control. The treble and bass operate the same way they do on a VOX, that is to say that if you increase the treble, you cut the bass in the process. You can get super nice cleans on channel 1 with a single coil guitar. The amp does not breakup until the channel 1 volume gain hits 50%. With a double coil guitar, the amp breaks up around 25% of volume gain. Channel 2 on the amp is a beast. It only has a volume control and a high pass filter. As you turn the filter selector to the right, you add more bottom end. You can get clean tone with a single coil guitar at about 25% of volume gain, but next to no clean with a double coil guitar. The distortion, as expected, is heavy... Black Sabbath heavy with lots of bottom end. I should point out that this amp is crazy loud. I also own a Vox AC30C2 which is also loud, but this is a different kind of loud... The kind that hurts your ears. I have not been able to crank the master volume beyond 10%. I give the sound a 9 because I'm so used to my Vox AC30C2 that if I had to compare the harmonics of the tone, my hat goes off to the VOX, but this is a really close second. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have only had the amp for a month. It seems really well made. Here's hoping I never have to get any major repairs. // 10

Overall Impression: I have numerous guitars that I've collected over the years. I've been playing for more than 30 years and have touched most styles of music. I still like the classics (Zepplin, Rush, Black Sabbath, Stones, Clapton, Foreigner, etc) and play them all on this amp. It produces the tones very well. It also has a nice tone when you run a single coil guitar through it and do some blues. I'm certain you'll see plenty of musicians gigging with this amp in the near future because of its versatility. I've also tried it with your standard Boss stomp boxes and it takes pedals with no problem. I give this section of the rating a 10 because for the price you are getting a great amp. // 10

BC30-212 Reviewed by: carterschaefe, on january 12, 2015

Purchased from: Zzounds

Features: Throw away all your previous reservations about Bugera, because this things kicks f--kin a-s. This amp is a made in China, 300 watt 212 all tube, and it rips. Its modeled after the Matchless DC30, but in no way are they similar. This amp is a beast unto itself, and I am thrilled to have purchased such and incredible sounding amp at such a low price. It has 4 channels, 1 Hi output clean 1 low output clean, 1 Hi output dirty, 1 low output dirty. The Channels can be jumped to add more gain, just like most 4 input amps. The controls are bonehead simple, with volume, treble, and bass for the cleans, and volume and a 6 way tone switch for the dirty. Whats even more impressive is that once the channels are jumped, the treble and bass give the gain even more tonal vocabulary. All of the destruction is controlled by a master volume. // 10

Sound: The sounds this thing gets is so diverse, its a crime. The cleans are crystal, with the channel breaking up at about half way. The clean channels alone cover all RHCP style cleans, to AC/DC crunch when cranked, and all the lovely styles in between. With the regular gain channel, cranking it all the way achieves a Guns N' Roses/Velvet Revolver level of gain. But when the channels are bridged (and with the right EQ settings), it hits right in the realm of Metallica. To achieve even more levels of gain, ill throw a tubescreamer in front of it, and BAM! Searing levels of gain achieved. But, this amp is more directed towards classic/hard rock players, due to the fact that with copious amounts of gain it starts to feedback. Hey 4 EL84's, with a Tube Rectifier? Only 400$? Pretty freaking sweet. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Bugera is plagued with horrible internet reviews on quality control, but buying this amp on a whim has changed my views. It's built like a tank, Ive gigged with it, taken it to many rehearsals, studio sessions, and every time it sounds amazing. I throw it in my trunk, with no worries. An even better example, I was practicing one night, and then went out with my friends. I forgot to turn the amp off, as I was in a hurry. I came back the next morning to find it had been on all night, and other than the amp being pretty hot, it still worked flawlessly, and continues to work. Plus the things weighs about as much as a tank. // 10

Overall Impression: My bandmates, friends, and jam buddies are all blown away when they hear the amazing sounds this amp produces. Plus I didn't break the bank at all. I would put this up against higher level amps any day. I've had it for about 6 months, I use it everyday, and it has never let me down. The perfect amp for what I do, and I'm sure it will be for anyone else who plays through one. It takes every single pedal I own (TS9, Ernie Ball wah, MXR EVH Phase 90, MXR Uni-Vibe, multiple TC Electronic pedals, MXR Slash Fuzz), and creates unique and crazy sounds that make my pedals tools in creating sound. A must for gigging musicians. // 10

More Bugera reviews rating category latest review
+ Trirec Infinium 7.9 Guitar Amplifiers 09/24/2015