BC30-212 Review

manufacturer: Bugera date: 04/21/2010 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Bugera: BC30-212
The BC30 212 was released in early 2010. This is a 2 channel amp that is modelled after the Matchless DC30.
 8.9
 9.5
 8.3
review (1) pictures (3) 8 comments vote for this gear:
BC30-212 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 21, 2010

Price paid: C$ 600

Purchased from: AXE MUSIC

Features: The BC30 212 was released in early 2010. The amps shipped to suppliers during the month of March. This is a 2 channel amp that is modelled after the Matchless DC30. Side by side the amps look the same right down to the backlit face plate and controls. The amp has three 12AX7 tubes and four EL84 tubes. It also has a value rectifier vice a solid state one. There are two mismatched twelve inch speakers (80 and 100 watt) to give some extra tone. There is also a speaker reverse Switch to change the speaker phase. Something most wouldn't use unless you were into recording the tone and were doing backing tracks. Bother channels have their own effects loop. You can also reduce the power output from 30 watts to 15 watts. As for attaching external speaker cabinets, the amp is designed to handle any type of external speaker cabinet you throw at it. This is an extremely versatile amp. I gave this a 9 and not a 10 because I really, really miss Reverb... There is no reverb on this amp. // 9

Sound: If you have ever heard a Vox AC30, then you have a good idea what Channel 1 of the amp sounds like. Channel 1 has a volume, treble and bass control. The treble and bass operate the same way they do on a VOX, that is to say that if you increase the treble, you cut the bass in the process. You can get super nice cleans on channel 1 with a single coil guitar. The amp does not breakup until the channel 1 volume gain hits 50%. With a double coil guitar, the amp breaks up around 25% of volume gain. Channel 2 on the amp is a beast. It only has a volume control and a high pass filter. As you turn the filter selector to the right, you add more bottom end. You can get clean tone with a single coil guitar at about 25% of volume gain, but next to no clean with a double coil guitar. The distortion, as expected, is heavy... Black Sabbath heavy with lots of bottom end. I should point out that this amp is crazy loud. I also own a Vox AC30C2 which is also loud, but this is a different kind of loud... The kind that hurts your ears. I have not been able to crank the master volume beyond 10%. I give the sound a 9 because I'm so used to my Vox AC30C2 that if I had to compare the harmonics of the tone, my hat goes off to the VOX, but this is a really close second. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have only had the amp for a month. It seems really well made. Here's hoping I never have to get any major repairs. // 10

Overall Impression: I have numerous guitars that I've collected over the years. I've been playing for more than 30 years and have touched most styles of music. I still like the classics (Zepplin, Rush, Black Sabbath, Stones, Clapton, Foreigner, etc) and play them all on this amp. It produces the tones very well. It also has a nice tone when you run a single coil guitar through it and do some blues. I'm certain you'll see plenty of musicians gigging with this amp in the near future because of its versatility. I've also tried it with your standard Boss stomp boxes and it takes pedals with no problem. I give this section of the rating a 10 because for the price you are getting a great amp. // 10

More Bugera reviews rating category latest review
+ V55HD 8.8 Guitar Amplifiers 04/03/2014