Kick Start 25 Review

manufacturer: Carlsbro date: 12/09/2005 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Carlsbro: Kick Start 25
20 watt amp with 2 channels for clean or distiortion guitar, gain controls, 8" speaker, 3 band EQ, presence control, reverb, fx loop, headphone out.
 Features: 9.5
 8.5
 9.4
 7.6
reviews (2) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Kick Start 25 Reviewed by: indie_libertine, on december 09, 2005

Purchased from: Hessle Music Centre

Features: As typical of a british amp (see Laney, Marshall ect. for evidence), the Carlsbro deals in volume and different levels of gain. I play mainly indie rock and punk and this amp suits me down to the ground. Its main features include master volume, gain control, equalization controls, a dedicated headphone socket, a dedicated footswitch socket, a dissapointingly weak reverb knob. Being a noise polluter, this amp has easily enough blunt strength to handle small live venues and, with a little tweaking, you'll have the right sound for you, from razor sharp metal to pulverizing powerchord punk-pop. Interestingly, it shuns the convention and has a blue power-on light instead of a red one. This makes up for the crappy reverb in my book. // 9

Sound: Though as I mentioned above I play mainly indie rock, I let my younger brother loose on this amp with some Green Day and Mettallica and he said it sounded better than his best friends Marshall 30 watt, though he said he still preferred his Peavey ten watter. What would he know. Anyway, the variety is good as with enough tweaking you'll get your sound (as long as it isn't reverb heavy). As I play garage rock style music, my distortion is often grimey and gritty but never enough to kill the tone which the amp retains brilliantly. And, as other Tele players will tell you, tone is everything. It has a fair bit of hum once you really starting pushing it, but its not an annoying fuzz, its a warm buzz. It can get annoying, but no amp makes you want to sit and listen to feedback all day. If you really wanna go ape sht, whack up the gain to full, give your volume seven and let your distortion make the noise, not the volume. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp is more sturdily built than my friends amps, but of course it won't compare to, say, a Laney 30 or a Peavey 50. Don't worry about it though; short of putting your foot through the front, the Carlsbro 25 won't shut up on you, even when gigging. I highly reccomend you make sure the rest of your rig is perfect before you start though; the only way this amp's gonna suffer is if your other gear is letting it down. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for three years now and have gigged four times in a mid-sized hall with this amp and an American Tele. The one time I messed up was when forgot to use the footswitch socket for RP-80. Instead, I put my guitar lead into the pedal then ran the pedal into the input of my amp. As soon as we went into the chorus of Song 2 by Blur and I stomped my pedal for juice, my lead got snagged and came out. Instant fuck up. The hole song went ka-put. Why am I telling you this? Because its you or your other equipment that'll let you down, not the Carlsbro 25. // 9

Kick Start 25 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 24, 2004

Purchased from: Keyboard Kavern

Features: The amp is very versatile, able to suit each and every style of music I play which is: heavy metal/rock/grundge/jazz. It has: a gain control, and overdrive control, a volume, treble, mid, bass and reverb controls. It has the input (duh) but also has a headphone jack and a footswitch/pedal jack. I use it in my house and outside, and it suits both environments very well. // 10

Sound: I use it with a Samick Strat, and as said above it suits all the styles of music I play. It is very noisy when the volume is on full and when the gain and reverb are turned up it's incredibly loud! The clean channel is great however high you turn the volume up and the distortion is a really effective sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it a lot, and would definately use it live without a backup. The amp has never broken down, although (and it was like this when I bought it) when it's on if you jump on the floor really heavily or knock it over it makes a really loud crashing noise, but it doesn't always do that, it's only done it about four times for me, and I've used it live twice and at home about a million times, so it doesn't often do it. // 8

Overall Impression: It's a really nice amp, and it suits all of my styles of playing well and is a good match for the guitar. There's nothing I wish I'd bought before I got it, and the I don't really want anything else with at the moment. I originally considered a Marshall 30 watt but I didn't like the distortion on it and so chose this instead. It's a great amp for a range of different music styles, and is good for live gigs or just practising/messing around. Highly recommended by me. // 10

More Carlsbro reviews rating category latest review
+ GLX50 6.7 Guitar Amplifiers 11/10/2007