MTS 3212 Review

manufacturer: Carvin date: 05/14/2007 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Carvin: MTS 3212
The Master Tube Series is an all tube 50/100 watt guitar amp. It's multiple warm tube sounds gives incredible violin like sustain. Any style of playing from country to hard rock can be achieved. CH 1 delivers shimmering clean tones while CH 2 adjusts from mild soft-clip crunch to a full power soaked sustain.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Features: 8.5
 6.9
reviews (2) 5 comments vote for this gear:
MTS 3212 Reviewed by: stonyman65, on january 27, 2006

Features: This amp was made in 2004, all tube with 4 sovtek 5881 power tubes and 5 12AX7A preamp tubes. This amp is verry versitle but it is best suited for hard rock and metal. That's what I play so it's good for me. This has 2 channels, clean and lead (lead can go from crunch to a almost Dimebag Darrel dirstortion) reverb, a foot switch to switch between channels and reverb on/off and an effects loop. 2 Celestion G12T-75 12 inch speakers. bias switch (for EL34s or 6L6 tubes) Ohms switch - 4, 8 or 16 ohms selection. Cabenet extension jack, 50/100 watt selctor and a presence switch for the lead/clean channel for added clarity. The only thing I wish this amp had is a headphone jack. I use this amp in my house and it definitally has enough power for me. Hell, it has enough power for live or studio work. // 9

Sound: I'm using a Fender American Strat with a Stanard American Strat pickup in the neck and a DiMarzio Tone Zone in the bridge and a Ibanez Jem with Evolution pickups. This amp is great for me and can be used with any style but it is not used to it full potential until it's used for rock and metal. This amp isn't really noisy, it's about what you would get from any high end tube amp. When the amp is cranked on clean it distorts (like any tube amp) the distortion is awesome. Very Vai/Dimebag like. it can also be used for lighter stuff like AC/DC or even punk. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it but like any tube amp the tube can die with out notice, this happend to me (it was from a shipping problem). One thing I must say though is that Carvin coustomer service is amazing. I recenly called and told them about my amp and they are sending me new tubes for free! // 9

Overall Impression: I play rock and metal most of the time and this amp is great for them. I've been playing for 6 years and you can read about my gear in other reviews. I love everything about this amp. if it where stolen/lost, I would try to find it or buy a new one. I compared this amp too a Marshall JCM dual super lead 2 12 and this one came out on top because it is almost the same with a few added features such as more tubes, better speakers (in my opinion) and the fact that it was almost 5 times chepaer (JCM was somewhere around $2, 000 and the MTS was only $700) oh, and it also a bais switch for my choise of EL34s or 6L6/5881 tubes. // 10

MTS 3212 Reviewed by: d_byrne23, on may 14, 2007

Purchased from: Carvin Site

Features: The MTS is definately versatile enough for my main music interests. I'm into a lot of shred stuff (paul gilbert), as well as metal such as Megadeth, as well as rock stuff like the chilli peppers. My biggest comparison is it reminds me of a 5150 except with superior cleans. The gain doesnt't sound as dark as the 5150, but for modern stuff such as Trivium it nails those tones perfectly, it definately is a high gain beast. I do wish it had a built in attenuator but it is a relatively inexpensive tube amp, so no big deal there. // 8

Sound: With it I run just my Schecter Extreme FR guitar with stock pickups and coil tap, and just a Boss RC-2 Loop Station pedal. It suits my music styles big time, great versatile amp. The noise I get from it is very minimal and definately don't see the need for myself to buy something like a decimator to cancel the hum. The clean channel does distort when cranked, and the gain channel definately has enough gain for mostly anyones needs. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Have yet to have a problem with it (touch wood), I'm very happy with it's sound, and was very happy with carvins customer support when ordering it. it's reliability is definately excellent, I would definately gig with it. Durability it has been through some tough knocks but there are no marks anywhere on my amp. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall it's a great amp, love the lush reverb option it has. I've been playing for around 5 years, basically 1 year seriously, it does all I need it to do. If it were lost or stolen I'd be pretty down but I'd probly buy a lower wattage tube amp such as a Orange Tiny Terror. I do however love it's versatility, as you can use various types of tubes. Highly recommended for someone seeking a versatile tube amp Who is not wanting to go broke. // 8

More Carvin reviews rating category latest review
+ VL100 Legacy 5.8 Guitar Amplifiers 02/18/2014