STX 125 Review

6.3
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
STX 125 Reviewed by: SG Commander, on march 25, 2009

Purchased from: School

Features: This amp was made in 1980. It has 3 jacks for the guitar channel 1, 2, and bi channel. It has a swith for sustain, sustain in or out. Around the back there's jacks for speakers out one is used for connecting it to the speakers to the amp. There's a headphone 1/4in jack, stero style jack for challen interupt for channels 1 & 2. It has 125watts RMS @ 4 ohms. One preamp output, with 600 ohms balance. A reverb jack and a channels jack. The serial number isz-64260. It has 2 Magna Lab speakers 16 ohms ea. The speaker serial number is 12560 for the left speaker and 12559 for the right speaker the numbers 1245867-8023 is painted on each speaker. // 4

Sound: I use an Eiphone G-310 stock pickup in the neck position a hot hand wound pickup is in the bridge position both pickups on and I use a Boss DS-1 pedal for distortion becuase this amp doesnt't have it. The clean channel is perfect for funk. The volume varies so much on how hard you strum in combination with an envlope filter or dynamic wah it was probabaly made for funk my friend makes this amp sound so good with funk and this amp keep most of it's clarity at high voulume buy like any amp it does lose some clairty. As I said this amp has a sustain swich which sounds horrid beond belief. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't ever want to depend on this amp because it's a 30 year old solid state, but it must be some kind of durable to last that long. A spring or somthing shakes when it's moved about 2inches in the back. Every once a month or two I take a look and see if anythings loose or just wrong with it. // 7

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 2 and a half years. I mostly play hard rock and metal stuff. This amp could sound good for metal with a good quality pedal like the Boss MT-2 metal zone. I bought it thinking it was a broken amp but after I brought it home I saw the speaker had meerly been unpluged so I got it for $10. If it were stolen I probably would just go and get me a decent amp instead but if I could get a deal like I got on this I would do it over again. I hate that it doesnt't have good distort and that only one channel works on mine but with a proper ajustment to the EQ it can sound adiquate for some rock. // 7

More Carvin reviews rating category latest review
+ DC800 9.5 Electric Guitars 08/28/2014