SX300 Review

manufacturer: Carvin date: 09/18/2006 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Carvin: SX300
The SX300 series amp are 3 channel guitar amps offering ?tone to the bone? from the heaviest metal to smooth blues. G12 speakers are featured for their tone. Analog 12AX7 tube harmonic emulation on all three channels. Channel 1 offers deep, thick overdrive and a sensational liquid sustain with the hi-gain switch. Channel 2 offers deep, thick overdrive to heavy crunch and upper-midrange grit with the blues switch. Channel 3 delivers clean tones ranging from warm and full to shimmering and glassy.
 8.4
 6.8
review (1) 15 comments vote for this gear:
SX300 Reviewed by: Spl!nTeRgu!tAr, on september 18, 2006

Features: I have a 2006 model Carvin SX300 2x12 combo amp. This amp handles just about anything you can throw at it, with it's Celestion speakers. Hard rock, classic rock, metal, and blues are what I play on the amp and it sounds absolutly amazing. It has 3 channels (overdrive, lead, and clean), a footswitch, and effects module, and a headphone jack. I use this amp for practice and live shows, because the amp uses "Tube Emulation" which Carvin perfected. It uses no tubes, but it louder and sounds better than most tubes I have played. This is a solid-state amp that gives the ideal tube tone. // 10

Sound: I run the amp with my Carvin DC400C and my BC Rich Warlock with Zakk Wylde EMG's and let me tell you, right there is a brutal combination of metal, rock, and blues. Through the Warlock, BLS, Slayer, Metallica, etc. are cranked out with absolute ease. Through the DC400C, this amp rings out breath taking cleans, with very round and warm tones. The amp can be noisy, but understand something: this amp is made for good equipment. Lousy guitars and cables will cause this amp to be noisy. This amp sounds better as it gets louder, which is awesome because I shake my house with this amp and I play in the basement. The distortion on the amp is only satisfying, but on channel 1 you can hit the hi-gain switch, problem solved. Channel 2 has a blues switch to boost the mids, and all channels have a Prescence switch to boost your highs. Very awesome. I always get compliments after gigs about how well my amp sounds. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp is a tank. It has never crapped out or broken down on me. This amp was dropped on the roof of my car, and although it wasn't bad, the amp won the accident hands down. It left a slight dent in the shape of a rectangle in the roof of my car. This amp will never break unless you throw it into an oncoming semi, but it's too havy to just throw like that anyway. Carvin durability will never let you down. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is made to rock, hard. It suits rock, metal, and blues perfectly. I've been playing 7 years and this amp blows my mind with my BC Rich and my Carvin DC400C. If it were stolen I would most definatly buy it again. I could never honestly tell you that I have something on this amp I don't like. This amp blows Mesa, Line 6, and even Orange out of the water. Amazing. // 10

More Carvin reviews rating category latest review
+ DC800 9.5 Electric Guitars 08/28/2014