CA30DG Taos Review

manufacturer: Crate date: 11/26/2007 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Crate: CA30DG Taos
The CA30 Taos compact acoustic amplifier delivers 30 watts RMS and incorporates two inputs, each with its own gain control. Three bands of equalization, with Crate's exclusive Contour control, provide exceptional tone control and minimize feedback. The polypropylene 8" woofer/dome tweeter combination delivers smooth, pristine sound with outstanding projection and fidelity.
 9.3
 9.5
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
CA30DG Taos Reviewed by: michal23, on november 26, 2007

Purchased from: Sound Control

Features: I bought this amp mainly to amplify my acoustic during band practice, since if I plug it into an electric amp, I get so much feedback I can't play. This amp slightly sorted the problem, however I still get feedback if I turn the gain knob past 4. I do not, however, need more power in the small practice room we play in. There are two channels and a line out to option to plug the amp into a larger speaker. The effects section has two knobs, one to control the level of the effect, the other to choose the effect. The effects include slap, delay, echo, chorus, rotary, chorus/hall, room reverb and hall reverb. I often make use of all these effects and not once have I lacked a certain effect. I use this amp mainly for rock songs that include an acoustic guitar and this amp suits me for both chords and finger picking. // 8

Sound: I am using a Washburn EJ16 with this amp. The amp is noisy if I turn the gain past 4, however I am not sure if it is the amp or the guitar that causes this, as I have not tried any other guitar with it. The amp itself can add a large variety to sound, from under-water sounding chorus to a very echoing hall reverb. The effects also sound very 'real' which I am delighted with. The amp even offers a contour setting for your mids, allowing one to get a very accurate sound. I have no complaints about the sound. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have owned this amp for almost two years now and it still feels like brand new. Though I would consider this amp a bit small for a gig, if I were to use it I would be confident enough to do so without a backup. The amps has never broken, despite it being left untouched for a few months. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly classic rock and this amp suits me perfectly for any acoustic parts I have to include. I had not tried any other acoustic amps before this one, not only were many of them to expensive, as soon as I played this one I knew it was perfect. What I love most about this amp is the fact that it gives me such a range of options and effects without sacrificing anything else. If it were stolen, I would more than likely replace it as soon as I could afford to. // 9

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BX15 5.5 Bass Amplifiers 06/17/2014