FW65 Review

manufacturer: Crate date: 06/29/2010 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Crate: FW65
It produces 65W of power. It has got 3 channels, clean, overdrive and high gain with the shape setting.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.7
reviews (3) pictures (1) 10 comments vote for this gear:
FW65 Reviewed by: Guodlca, on april 26, 2010

Price paid: € 335

Purchased from: Bam Music Center

Features: It's a solid state and I love it's versatility. It produces 65W of power, which is more than enough for me. It's perfect for jamming, and maybe small gigs if you wouldn't use the clean channel, that one would probably not be loud enough, but the other two most certainly would, as the specifications say that the high gain channel has around 110dB. It has got 3 channels, clean, overdrive (these two have level, high, mid, low settings (and gain on the overdrive)) and high gain with the shape setting (low and high frequencies vs. mid). I mostly use overdrive, sometimes high gain, but I have some problems with the high gain channel, but more about that in the "reliability" part. Other features: -Reverb, up to 4 seconds, it sounds really natural. -Delay: all the delays have 3 amplitudes, low, mid and high. Slap delay, medium delay (about 5 times per second) and long delay (about twice per second) -Effects: 3 amplitudes again: Chorus - it's very neat, a rich chorus, but you can't just use a little bit of it, as even the lowest amplitude option gives quite a noticeable chorus already; Flanger - works great on overdrive; Phaser - Don't like it, I almost never use it, it sounds quite digital. All those, reverb, delay and effects settings can be stored in an effects loop. There can be two different settings stored and you can easily Switch between them with your footswitch, which I got with the amp and is really useful for switching the channels too. I only wish this amp had a tremolo effect. // 9

Sound: I use my amp with Ibanez EXR170, HSH pickups. The amp suits my music style perfectly (rock, blues). It never gets noisy, not even on max volume, so even the clean channel is not distorted at high volumes. It can produce all from a very clean tone to a metal tone and everything inbetween. I can duplicate a crunchy rock AC/DC very easily, as well as fuzzy Jimi Hendrix stuff, funky stuff, also Eric Johnson, Poison.. Distortion can be pretty brutal on the high gain channel with the gain all the way up, but a little bit digital too, if your shape is on low/high frequencies. That's why I refrain from using that setting. // 10

Reliability & Durability: -The settings saving. Pretty cool, but, it is supposed to save all the settings even when you turn the amp off. Well, doesn't work so good for me. It messes up everything so when I turn the amp on it's all going from the start again. Also, I sometimes have problems with getting this to work even with the amp on, but In a few minutes I can easily get it done. -The blue LED on the footswitch isn't working anymore -The cable has a VERY weak contact with the input, so my high gain channel is almost not working anymore. Well, amp is fine, and if I push the cable in it works perfectly. I've also tried different cables, but no difference. // 7

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 4 years, and this is a perfect fit for my skills and style. I love the chorus and flanger effects and the overdrive. If it were stolen/lost, I'd buy a new one. I've compared it to many other amps, but I think this amp sound very natural for a solid state. // 10

FW65 Reviewed by: Killordie, on may 13, 2010

Price paid: € 160

Purchased from: Feedback

Features: This is my first review and I'm not a 100% sure if I'm doing it correctly but I will be giving it my best shot. First of all there are a few features which I really like about this amp. While with most cheap amps you only have two channels this Flexwave comes with 3. One for clean sounds, one for a lighter overdrive which just suits me perfectly for light rock and bluesse and another one with high gain which would suit any hard riffing metal guitarist. Added with the amp comes a standard foot-switch to make it easier for you to Switch between the different channels. With this channel added you even have an "extra" channel added to save your settings on which with all the settings you can make in your amp is quite useful. Sadly I haven't gotten around to try to save the settings in the Switch yet but I'm sure to check it out in the near future. While with most amps like this you can only turn on one effect like reverb at the time here you can mix 3 effects all-together: - reverb - delay - chorus/flanger/phaser Being able to mix 3 effects really allows you to create a more unique tone then with most beginner amps. Stepping up from a standard beginner guitar amp this is really then I could wish for with the discount price. However there is one thing that bugs me and I feel obligated to inform you all about this. In my house (so I can only imagine others have this as well) the electric net is just jammed to his peak with electrical equipment. This causes the amp to give electrical thuds when the chip in the amp tries to start up sometimes and wrecked mine on the first night (luckily I had warranty). Sadly the problem still remains since this is a power net and not an amp problem. I solved it hanging it another group in the net the same as the dryer and the washing machine and I turn it on before I turn on any other electrical equipment in my room. I love this amp but this issue greatly reduces the score. For the new price of 300, - it would be pretty hard to find a better amp really. I can only imagine it is so cheap do the (poor) electrical buzz or shock protection. // 8

Sound: At this point I have BC Rich which I use on my amp. (the k.k. Wartribe addition) BC Rich isn't exactly known for the best quality of the clean sounds, but with this amp I'm able to produce a nice warm tone even out of a guitar like this. Even if you have a pure metal guitar you wouldn't be disappointed. I mainly play metal and I must say that this amp suits my playing style perfectly. The high gain is pretty good coming from a standard amp gain channel (in my opinion) as long as the gain is all out, the bass low and the high's high. I'll admit that the sound doesn't come anywhere close to my DigiTech metal master pedal but it sure can sound heavy on its own! The overdrive is fun for me to play some soft rock and blues from time to time and the clean channel don't let down either. Even with different playing styles this amp would suit anyone. The only thing that slightly annoys me of this amp is that you have a constant background buzz in your amp but this is probably caused by the power of amp since 65W is quite a bit of power. The buzz on its own is not bad, more of a comfortable background noise and you certainly won't hear it when playing but for the high gain channel it tends to crack up. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would bring a back-up unless I did not have any other choice purely because of the problems I had with it before. You never know what other power grid might be loaded to its maximum out there Then again I seem to be the only one with this problem so if this issue puts you at doubt then I'd have you say you probably worry to much. // 6

Overall Impression: Again I mostly play metal but I like to play some clean stuff as well, I would say this amp is a pretty good match for me especially with the upcoming protection. (when you hit a note while it's booting it won't come out till it has actually booted to protect the amp) This amp I would recommend to any beginning guitarists that can't afford a half stack right away! I have been playing for around 3 years now on and off again pretty irregular so I'm not the best guitarist found here but It's not about my playing really it's about my amp and I love it! I use it in combination with my metal master pedal and I'm getting the RGA72QM Ibanez soon, I can hardly wait to hear what it sounds like. If there anything I wished I asked before I bought it it would be this: What about the power cable?!?!?! It might just be me but the amp didn't come with a power cable to turn it on! Should it be stolen I would probably save up some more money and get an even better amp with better shock protection and just get a sick half stack. My favorite feature is definatly the ability to add multiple effects at once. It really helps my find my sound. And there is something missing which I would have loved. A headphone input The mixer input and CD input combined with the free footswitch well makes up for it though. // 9

FW65 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 29, 2010

Purchased from: Claremore Music Company

Features: It's a solid state amp, 1x12 Crate custom designed 8ohm speaker, 7 customizable effects that you can store into the amps "Channel Tracking". The effects range from Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Delay, Reverb each being able to increase or decrease how wet or dry the effect is. 3-channels Clean, Overdrive and High Gain. Has an effects loop in the back, as well as an output for an extension speaker which is wired in series with the internal speaker. It also has a CD input where you can hook up your MP3 player or whatever to it using a 1/2 jack. All in all it's a decent amp for the money you pay for, wish it had a better speaker. The one it has stock is too trebly and middy and not enough bottom end. Oh it also has a 3 button footswitch that comes with it. ALSO on the high gain channel it has a "shape" control, what this is for people who don't know is also whats known as a contour or presence control, basically a mid control. Can't say its an amp for everyone but if your on a budget, need a good decent amp, and maybe love HIGH GAIN or bluesy kinda sound then get this. Can't go wrong, its simple, its plain, and thats how I like it. Gave this an 8 due to the cheapo speaker in it, made the amp sound crappy. // 8

Sound: The sound of this amp can range from almost everyone you can think of, you just have to know how to EQ, and remember this amp is very middy and trebly so you'll have to compensate for it. I've used a BC Rich NJ Beast with SH-13 dimebuckers in the bridge and a SH-1 '59 in the neck, I've used a Schecter 7 string stock p-ups, an Ibanez RG2EX, Ibanez Roadstar series 2 and many other guitars. At first it was hard to get a good tone from the d*** thing, went out bought a MXR-10 band EQ just so I can get something. I play mostly metal but I like to delve into a lil' country and blues. The effects that come with the amp are pretty much mediocre, so I bought a G-sharp effect processor and ran it through the effect loop. Like I said the speaker sucked, upgraded it to an Eminence Texas Heat (I don't like celestions robotic sound). Well with this all done, which is what Crate should of done in the first place, on the high gain channel set the Overdrive settings to B-3 o'clock M-9 o'clock T-3 o'clock shape at 3 o'clock gain at 1 o'clock you can get Pantera, Slayer, Metallica and pretty much any other thrash sound, mess with the EQ and set to Overdrive you get ZZ top SRV even KOL(kings of Leon). The clean channel is very chimey. Remember though, just like with EVERY AMP, you have to know how to EQ, if not then some amps just sound sucky. Its a pretty d*** loud amp, not very noisy but can GET noisy small gig worthy, practice worthy, garage band worthy. Also on another note, alot of people complain about how every channel has chorus, to remedy this on EVERY channel max each effect knob then turn it back to zero. I gave this a 7 simply because I had to upgrade the amp, but then again most amps you have to upgrade because of poor choices in production. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It's pretty reliable I'ved gigged with it, I'ved used it at the apartment, I've dropped it, it fell off a stool, so its taken some abuse and it still works, nothing broke and nothing scratched strangely. If you contact Crate about anything they usually respond within 24 hours so there real good on customer care. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this amp was worth the cash including the cash I put into it, with that it transformed into a quality amp. If it breaks I'd most likely buy another one. I'm not famous nor do I play at large venues, so a 120 watt head with 2 4x12 cabs or whatever is not what I need, maybe in the sometime near future I'll get something better like a Bolt 100 watt amp head or a Krank Krankenstein+ 120 watt amp head but as of now I'm content. It's certainly much better than a Line 6 spider or a Marshall MG. But like I said before I just wish it had a quality speaker and a better effect processor than it came with. Would be worth the money since there V amps are really good. // 8

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BX15 5.5 Bass Amplifiers 06/17/2014