FXT120 Review

manufacturer: Crate date: 08/08/2008 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Crate: FXT120
120W RMS. 2 - 12" speakers. Flexwave Evolution 5 preamp. 16 DSP effects include reverb, delay, flange, chorus, multi-effects, touch wah, rotary speaker, and doubler. 3-channel operation.
 Features: 9.3
 9.2
 8.8
reviews (4) 7 comments vote for this gear:
FXT120 Reviewed by: IlikeTheSKA, on april 14, 2004

Features: Brand new amp, made in 2004. It has 3 channels, a footswitch, and 16 DSP effects! It's 120 watts which means it's LOUD. It fits my styles perfectly (punk, hardcore, Ska). It has an effects loop and a headphone jack. It's an amazing Crate solid state amp. // 10

Sound: I'm using it with a standars Fender Mexican Strat with 2 single coils and a hotrail in the bridge position. It has some buzz on high volumes/gain however. The clean channel is perfect. The distortion ranges fro ma light crunch on channel one, or a brutal punch in your teeth on channel two. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Definitely dependable. Crate amps are built like tanks. Definitely gigable without a backup. Never broken down. // 10

Overall Impression: Perfect amp for me. I've been playing for a year. I have my strat and the only other amp I had was a Fender Frontman 15G. If it were stolen (you can't really lose something this big) I'd beat the livings out of the person who took it. Or buy a new one. It's an amazing amp. // 10

FXT120 Reviewed by: fade2black2004, on february 01, 2006

Purchased from: Musicians friend

Features: I think this map was inroduced in 2003 but I'm really not sure (they are exclusive to musicians friend) this map can be very versitile the cleans are great for a rock ballad, or some electirc acoustic stuff, and the distortion is great for hard rock and alternative. I use this amp in my band with a 2X12 extension cab, and it has plenty of power I never have to turn it up past 6 or 7. It has 16 built in effects that are nice I fyou kno how to use them but if you dont hey wont really work for you (but will be really fun to mess with). // 8

Sound: I'm using a stock Schecter Omen 6 and a DOD Dath Metal distortion pedal. I play mostly metal types stuff (from heavy to death) and this amp works on its on somewhat but I really prefer it with the distortion pedal because it gives it much fuller sound I think. It's not to noisy but it is noisy at times expecalley if your near any electronics (TVs, computers, etc). I can make almost any sound I want on this amp from blues to hard rock you just got ot change a fe settings and you can get any sound you can think of. Like I said hte distortion is ok but its not "brutal" if your lookng for a more Metalis type sound I suggest a distortion pedal. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This map is built to last, it can defintaly take a beating. I've never had any problem with it crapping out on me. I would use this amp for a gig without a back up (probably will here soon). // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression is that any intermediae player who needs a 120 watt amp for giging should get this. It's loud, powerfull, had all the effects you could need, relitivley cheap, and just a greta buy in my opinion. The only thing I wis it really had is more "brutal" distortion but thats not a big deal really I don't mind using a pedal. This will never get stolen from me, it's to big. // 9

FXT120 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 28, 2006

Features: This amp was made exclusively for Musicians Friend, so Crate doesn't have it on their website. I play rock, metal, punk, emo, all that stuff, and it kicks ass. It's got a clean channel and two distortion channels. It's all solid state and wicked. It comes with a footswitch but GC tried to sell me one without the switch but after a while they gave it to me anyway (it says on Musiciansfriend that it comes with one). Has an effects loop, and (best of all) a speaker output so you can add a cabinet and turn it not a stack. I wish it had the ability to turn the speaker off while I was using the speaker jack as a headphone one. The DSP is pretty cool, but the wah-wah is a really wacky but the delay and chorus and flange and reverb are totally sweet. It's also got an ok tuner. // 9

Sound: I use a Squier Fat Strat with it. The clean is perfect; the distortion is highly dependant on your pickup. If you want perfect clean, use your neck cingle coil (if you have one) and if you want screaching metal use the channel overdrive and a humbucker. This amp is sweet. The distortion can sound like a classical rock sound but it can also hit those emo/punk sounds. The brutal overdrive is killer and adds a hell of a lot of punch. I can get this amp to scream but the others I've played on suck at it. I haven't heard any buzz yet, although it does pick up radio signal in certain rooms. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing hasn't busted. It will blow on playing for 2 hours at max volume. // 10

Overall Impression: Rock on Crate, you guys make the sweetest amps. This amp blows my friend's 15 watter away and I completely cant let go. If someone stole it I'd beat the living of them. Or get a new one. I love everyhintg escept the wahwah, thats only okay. You could play this baby live. I looked at the spider ii but it didn't get loud enough and it had presets. You get to screw with the distortion on this one yourself (the coolest). I wish it had better wah wah and tremolo. It gets so loud I cant hear for a while. Make sure you get your footpedal when you buy it, don't get anything else. Just one thing, I've heard horror stories of amps blwing the day they get them: well thats 'cause their retarded idiots, you don't bring your amp home and play with it on 10 for three hours. Daily bring the volume a little higher 'till it's maxed, then it should be ok. // 9

FXT120 Reviewed by: Stiny1234B, on august 08, 2008

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

Features: Like new amp, bought at a pawn shop for $150.00. Came with a footswitch and a cable. The only thing visually wrong with it was it had beer on the front mesh of the speaker. Other than that, it was just fine. I read that it was made somewhere between 03-04. I play mostly metal, sometimes play some Pink Floyd, but it fits my needs perfectly. There are 3 channels: 1 clean and 2 distortions. 16 different effects all sound good playing. 120 watts of pure, room shaking, snare-drum-tattering loudness! There seems to be 2 extra plug-ins: a headphone and it seems like another amp can be lead through. 2 speakers in the back, but it's not a tube amp, but Who cares. // 10

Sound: I play with a Dean Dime-O-Flame, but I also play around with my Dimeblade and my ML X. The clean, once it's the knobs are all set, sounds phenomenal, and with this certain chorus effect, my friend claims it sounds like Metallica's Live stuff. Like I said before, 2 distortion channels. The 1st distortion, once you tweak around with it for a while, sounds good for AC/DC and some Ted Nugent styles. The 2nd distortion is an all out metal channel. Pantera, Metallica, you name, it can blow your mind. The only problem I have is that the amp, when on a clean channel and the effects are on, it sounds like a plane is coming in from a distance or somebody mowing their lawn down the street. Kind of annoying, but a turning down of the DSP level knob will change it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Man this thing is made by Crate and it pretty much is a friggin Crate. I've actually dropped this out of my car trunk on accident a bunch of times. The worst thing that's happened yet is that it lost a little rubber leg. It's 50lbs! It bangs and dings on the walls as I carry it up and down stairs. I would totally use this thing live. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 2 years now. This is my 2nd amp and I've never come to like my friends' amps (they have a Fender and a Vox). The Dime-O-Flame and this distortion make a good match as well as the clean & chorus. My ML X is just beautiful on the clean and the Dimeblade will punch your teeth out. If somewhere were to steal this thing, they couldn't have gotten very far. I'd probably cry, it's that important to me. The only better amp that I'd purchase (unless convinced otherwise) is an Egnater Tourmaster. // 9

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BV120H 8.1 Guitar Amplifiers 06/24/2013