FXT65 Review

manufacturer: Crate date: 02/18/2006 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Crate: FXT65
This gig-worthy combo has 65W RMS power, a FlexWave Evolution 5 preamp for driving tube tone, and 16 DSP effects presets including all the guitar essentials: touch wah, reverb, delay, flange, chorus, doubler, rotary speaker, and multi-effects. Switchable 3-channel operation (footswitch included). External speaker jack and built-in chromatic tuner.
 8.5
 7.9
review (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
FXT65 Reviewed by: first_aid, on february 18, 2006

Features: My first real amp. The FXT65 Crate amp is well worth the money. I play metal, rock, punk and classic and this amp is good for all. It comes with a switchable 3-channel operation foot switch that you can easily change memorized settings with. the amp itself has a red interface with a lightup power switch. For the real important features, it has 16 DSP effects that you can change with the turn of a knob including reverb, chorus effect, and more. The amp has 65W RMS power with a FlexWave Evolution 5 preamp for driving tube tone. You can also push in a button that allows you to select over drive (with seperate set of knobs) and clean. This, in my opinion, is a very important feature due to my versitle playing styles. Included with the amp is a built in cromatic tuner. However, I rather choose and external tuner for custom reasons. For what I do (practice with self and others) this package has a lot of power for little money. The other features include a headphone jack, input (guitar and other, I have yet to try) and comes with a free bar stool. // 9

Sound: I play with a Jay Turser Strat clone with unknown pickups (step up from wal mart guitar). I need a better guitar but for what my old amps sound like compared to the Crate 65 watt, the descision is obvious. The noise is gnarly, in a good way. I can change two and from crunfchy distortion to clean warm tome. At high volumes, the clean distorts slightly, but is still good enough. Most environments were basements, garages, my room and a rich peoples neighborhood (lots and lots of space). The amp is great for loudness ecause the people who came to the party and heard my amp knew exactly what I was playing from 2 blocks away (btw, I was playing Dammit by Blink 182). Overall, the amp is pretty good loud, but gets a little too distorted at loud levels with high distortion. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp is only about three months old. So far, nothing is broken, damaged or otherwise changed from how I pulled it out of the box. // 10

Overall Impression: for the music I play, it is a great amp. I have been playing since Christmas 2005 and I say, it is still my #1 amp of choice. I wouldn't choose any other amp over this one (unless it is for bigger gigs). If I had to buy another amp it would be and upgrade to a Crate Crate XT120R 120W guitar combo. I only wish it could dispense bottles of cold Mountian Dew, then it would be perfect. // 9

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BX15 5.5 Bass Amplifiers 06/17/2014