GFX15 Review

manufacturer: Crate date: 08/28/2004 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Crate: GFX15
As one of the best selling guitar amps in the world, the GFX-15 is perfect for amateur players and any rehearsal space. At 15lbs, it is light, powerful, and versatile-?which any musician can appreciate.
 7.5
 8.8
 6.2
reviews (2) 7 comments vote for this gear:
GFX15 Reviewed by: cold_static544, on july 25, 2003

Purchased from: Music Plaza Tampines Mall

Features: Yeah, the amp is made in the USA, i got it at a sale so its pretty cheap 250 Singapore Dollars. Solid state circuitry but can sound like a tube amp on certain settings. The amp is pretty versatile and has many sweet spots. I play mostly metal,rock blues, funk and some jazz. Mostly everything. It has 2 channels, 30 watts, clean and overdrive. With Independent volume control. A gain knob on the Overdrive channel and shared EQ. And no, it does not have any effects loops. It does however have 2 outputs, one for speaker and earphones. The speaker output is real loud, and you're gonna go deaf if you plug any headphones in. It also have DSP on it. Which has Delay, Flange, Chorus and reverb. The effects ain't very strong so you can't get any tom morello stuff unfortunately. What lacks here is that you can't control the amount of Effect. But this control is available with the GFX-30 50 watt. I use it mostly for practice so its okay. For a gig, it should be passable. // 8

Sound: I'm using a Yamaha ERG-121, stock pickups. The guitar is pretty versatile. The amp can get pretty noisy esp. with the gain set to full. But i guess this is mostly due to my pickup. It can handle anything like I said. The EQ is very versatile. But scooped mids tend to sound a little too sharp. What i did is to set the mids at 4 with a little cut and it provided a strong rock/metal crunch with strong bass. The mids of the amp is what really shines here. The mids can also act as a compressor with notes really singing and sustaining for a long time. Great for solos and use it with a neck humbucker and you're in tone heaven!! The clean setting ain't that versatile due to the absence of the gain knob and the clean sounds crack up so i had too cut a little treble off the EQ.Is the distortion hard, Don't even ask....I can get almost any metal tone except for Pantera's Live tone which is ultra heavy....the distortion is really strong and when set up right, the bass is real strong, and can sound like its coming out from a sub-woofer. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Yes, i can depend on it. It pretty solid. Unlike tube amps, where once you drop it the tubes start cracking. Like most solid states, its quite sturdy. The amp have not broken down before. And as its made in the USA, it should have a certain level of quality. // 10

Overall Impression: I played for 4 years. I don't own any other gear but i'm thinking of getting a new guitar soon. If it were stolen or lost. I'll probably get the GFX-30 the same model but different features. Its a lot of amp for not a lot of money. The tone is great. I don't particularly dislike anything about it. I compared it with a Marshall MG-15 but the Mg-15 is nowhere near it. I chose it because it was on sale, the presence of DSP and its tone. But yeah, its a good buy for the practicing musician on a budget. // 10

GFX15 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 28, 2004

Features: This amp could be versatile depending on what style you prefer. I'm more of a rock/metal type guitarist and this suits that style just fine. What you get is a gain setting, level (volume), clean level, low, mid, high, an effect setting, and a speaker and headphone input. What would really make this a good amp is if you had separate Low/Mid/High levels for clean and distortion. I mainly use this as a practice amp which is just fine for now. // 8

Sound: I have a Gibson SG Epiphone and have stock pickups. The clean is nice but you can't control any Gain for it so you don't get a slightly dirty tone. The distortion is pretty good but I have issues with it. For a good crunch, I crank the Low and the other 2 are halfway, but when you go to clean, you get horrible buzzing when you hit the low E. So you bring it down 1/3 of the way to about 3-4 for it to sound decent. This could be annoying when you're playing live. As for the effects, they're ok but they're not an extreme effect so for example, the Delay setting, you never get that long long delay like U2 sounding notes and I noticed you really hear the delay if you bounce the note or do legato, it never seems to really delay a chord. Chorus and Reverb or nice, makes it sound like you're in a really empty arena. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This thing is quite durable. Had it for 4 years and never broke down once. As for a live setting, you could take it live but watch your settings, don't crank the low or it'll sound awful when you go to clean. Also, have a distortion pedal, or else you'll have to do it manually. But otherwise, it's a very good amp and didn't even have to make any repairs after 4 years (except to clean it). // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 4 years and I got this as a birthday present. I would've asked for a Fender, Marshall or Line 6 but this is good too. If I didn't have the money to replace it if it got stolen, I'd hunt them down as it's my only amp but this would be strictly a practice amp in my room. I love the distortion though. I played 2 other amps and the distortion didn't have that ballsy crunch to it which this does, but again watch settings. One thing that sounded cool but needed some buzz reduction was when I turned on the distortion button and turned on my pedal, it made this awesome buzz like distortion but there was lots of hiss so too bad you couldn't change that, but if you wanted a backup amp or just something in your room, I would recommend this. // 8

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BX15 5.5 Bass Amplifiers 06/17/2014