GFX30 Review

manufacturer: Crate date: 12/25/2003 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Crate: GFX30
All you need to rock'n'roll! 30 watt, 2 channel guitar amp with 12" speaker. FlexWave preamp for that killer modern tone plus built in digital effects including reverb, delay, flange and chorus.
 6.7
 5.4
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
GFX30 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 25, 2003

Purchased from: Music Manor

Features: -solid state -footswitch, headphone, and speaker jacks -2 chanels: clean and overdrive -includes seperate overdrive and clean level settings -3 band EQ -gain and shape control for overdrive -DSP On Board -open cab This amp is fairly versitle, but you may need some pedals to get the exact sound you want. I think it best covers metal and punk music. The clean channel is not the best, but the distortion is very versitle. It soes have some effects, but for the most part they are very weak and hardly do anything, but you have to keep in mind that this is not a digital amp. It has 30 watts of power, plenty for practice, but not quite enough for me. For those who are wondering, yes it can play over drums, but its pushing the limit. // 8

Sound: I have used everything from a strat with triple single coils to the warmth of a Les Paul with humbuckers. For the most part, there is not much difference between the two through this amp, accept that the humbuckers tend to generate a lot less noise. I play classic rock to metal, and found myself having to buy a v-amp 2 to satisfy. Im now starting to have some major problems with feedback after about 2 years of use, probably from trying to crank it to high volumes. Im starting to think that the preamp on the amp is very similar to that of a Crate bass amp, bucause it generates a ton of low end. So much in fact, that it rattles my amp around and the speaker gets ruined. I usually have to turn low all the way down on this thing because the speaker can't handle it. That being said, it sounds pretty good for a 30 watt practice amp. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Reliablility on mine right now is not very good, as it sometimes gets so much feedback that I can't turn the volume past 4. But keep in mind that I have been driving this thing for a while, and it definetly needs a new speaker. When I frist got it it sounded great, and it has never cut out on me. For durability, it lives up to it's name. This thing can take a serious beating. Mine has been kicked, dropped, bounced on stairs, and knocked over. still works. Reliability is where Crate earns it's name brand status. // 10

Overall Impression: Add an external pre-amp like the v-amp 2 or a digitec, and you have one of the most reliable studio amps you can buy. It fits the music I play pretty well once I added my modifications. If it were stolen or lost, I am not sure if I would get it again. As a studio or a jam amp yes, but nothing requiring it to play over drums (I killed mine doing that). I love it's reliability but hate DSP for daring to call thier "effects" powerful. They really are useless. I also think that Crate put some weights inside of this thing, it is heavy for what it is. The main reason to get it would be for reliability and durability. // 8

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BX15 5.5 Bass Amplifiers 06/17/2014