GLX120 Review

manufacturer: Crate date: 02/27/2006 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Crate: GLX120
This amp features a chromatic tuner, an effects loop with level, plus an intuative lighted angle control panel including 3 band EQ, dual lead gains, and shape control. Also new on the GLX120 is the redesigned heavy duty handle with soft touch rubberized grip for better transportability.
 6.7
 8.3
 5.1
review (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
GLX120 Reviewed by: Skunk_Whisperer, on february 27, 2006

Purchased from: Maytan Music

Features: This is a GLX120. It has 1x12" speaker, 120 watts of loudness. It wasmade in 2004 I believe. It has a clean channel, a decent rhythm channel with a bit of gain, and a screaming solo channel. You also have an FX channel which remembers what effect for the channel you were on, so like, you can switch from the clean channel and have your wah, and then flip over to the solo channel and have your reverb and whatnot without having to mess with the amp. It also has about 15 special FX. A few reverbs, a couple wahs, and an octave divider, and a feature that allows you to combine 2 fx. One thing that gets me is that the solo channel only has a gain knob, a volume knob, and a shape knob. It works good, but I guess they ran out of room for 2 more knobs. It has a jack for a speaker cab if you need more power. It also has a nifty little switch to light up all the knobs. It also has a mute button, and a built in tuner on top. It isn't super accurate though. // 8

Sound: I have a Jackson DX10D and a LTD Viper 400 I play through this. Mostly lead guitar metal and hard rock stuff, and this suits it good. I love the solo channel on this amp, and I can even get some bluesy tones out of the rhythm channel. The distortion is veryvery good I think. The fx are all good, except for the wahs, which can sound pretty flaky, and literally hurts your ears for some reason. The clean channel is nice, and I've played at volume 4 with it. Sounded good. I've played in a few lofts/garages/small places with it, and it is plenty loud for that. I wouldn't play at anything bigger than a small school gym with it without having a cab. I've also drug it outside, and cranked it to 10, and jammed out. I was standing about 15 feet in front of it, and it still made my ears ring. But yeah, its no nice tube amp, but it's still good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have a little 15 watt Crate amp. It starts to emit an odor of burning electronics after about a half hour of playing at volume 3. This amp is better built, and I would trust it through a small show. If it lights on fire, who gives a shit, eh? I've only got about 200 hours on this amp, so its hard tellin not knowing if its going to hold up. Seems fine so far. It seems tough. This amp weighs about 40 pounds. // 9

Overall Impression: I like this amp, and its nifty blah bleh, but if I had the money, I would get a Peavey Tube half stack, or at least some kind of decent half stack. The only regret I had, is that the store took advantage of me, and charged me about $50 above retail price. If you go to Reno, dont't buy anything from Maytan Music without first checking the price on it elsewhere. I didn't try out a lot of amps. I just bought this one because it was great for the price, and I needed something bigger. All in all, it's not bad. // 8

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BX15 5.5 Bass Amplifiers 06/17/2014