GLX15 Review

manufacturer: Crate date: 08/08/2005 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Crate: GLX15
The effects alone are worth the price of this amp! The Crate GLX15 is ultimate practice amp: 15watt, 8" speaker, FlexWave tube simulating preamp, dual channel, 16 "live sound" effects, chromatic tuner, headphone jack.
 6.7
 6.4
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
GLX15 Reviewed by: PlanetTelex, on august 08, 2005

Features: It has a clean and solo channel. Bass, treble, middle and volume controls. Gain and level sontrols for solo channel. One input for a gutiar, one for a microphone, and one for headphones. Special FX loop with 16 preset effects. Solid state. Built in tuner. // 6

Sound: I'm using this with a Mexican Fat Strat. I can't say this amp gives a great sound. It doesn't do my guitar or equipment any justice. It has a slight hiss in the background, even when my pickup selector is at the humbuckers. The effects loop is not that great, and has many sounds you wouldn't want to use. The auto wah give most people a headache within a few minutes. Some effects are combinations, which give me less flexibility. It also has a very digital, artificial sound. The solo channel is ok, but not great. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This amp seems pretty reliable. I've had no problems, and I put my feet on it all the time if I'm sitting down, and it's been kicked a bit. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock and blues. I ended up selling this amp back to Guitar Center for $50, a third of what I paid for it. My effects pedals sounded slightly unclear (original Crybaby, MT-2) though this amp. I would never buy this amp again. It's only good for a beginning student who just wants a sound out of something, without breaking the bank. I wish I had played through this a bit more before I bought this practice amp. I though it was the coolest thing when I bought it, but I've grown as a musician, and realize it doesn't have that great of a sound. // 6

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BX15 5.5 Bass Amplifiers 06/17/2014