GT1200H Review

manufacturer: Crate date: 08/04/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Crate: GT1200H
New for 2004, the GT1200H features many unique technologies that make Crate solid-state amps the choice of players everywhere. It adds a little compression, low-end distortion and a great tactile feel to the preamp circuit.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.9
 Features: 7.8
 8.3
 8.1
 8.4
reviews (12) pictures (1) 20 comments vote for this gear:
GT1200H Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 28, 2004

Purchased from: American Musical Supply (americanmusical.com)

Features: The Crate GT1200H head is a solid state 120 watt amplifer with three channels and reverb. It has one input, one output, an insert jack and a CD input. Also, it comes with a three button footswitch. For the price, three channels was a deal, and the reverb was a nice touch. Since this was bought online, I didn't really know if it would suit my needs. It did. I play lots of rock and blues music, and this does it all very well. The clean channel is good, with three EQ selections and volume. I never need to do much modifying to the sound, most of the time the controls stay at 5, except the bass, which is lower. The rhythm channel is great (gain, low, mid, high, level), giving a dirty overdrive, suitible for Zep and AC/DC kind of music. The solo channel may lack a little bit in the features department, because it only has gain and shape. However, the shape feature is very adaptive; turning the knob all the way to the right with gain anywhere from middle to full gives great nu metal sounds. Turning the shape to 3/4ths of the way to the right, with the gain at medium is great for Green Dayish distortion. This amp is powerful enough for my needs. I play drums in my band (yes, I own the amp), and my guitarist (who swears he will eventually buy a stack of his own) can play louder than I can. It works great for decent sized gigs (200 people or so, anyway) The spring reverb leaves a little to be desired, but it's all right in low amounts. Anyway, for the price, this amp delivers a lot. // 8

Sound: The sounds out of it are really great. I've used it with a Les Paul, Strat copies, a Jackson guitar, and my electric that I made myself. All of these sound great, though I've always perfered humbucker sounds to single coil. It isn't a noisy amp, really, unless you have a noisy guitar with too much gain on the solo channel. I'm playing the amp through a Behringer full stack (great cabinets, by the way), and it sounds superb. Even when it was just a half stack, it sounded great. the clean channel is still clean at high volumes, and sounds best with a compression pedal. The distortion is suitable for all but the highest amounts of distortion. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It has never failed me, ever. My guitarist goes without a backup. I've never dropped it, but it seems pretty durable. // 10

Overall Impression: For rock, blues, punk, or anything of the sort, it works well. Heavier metal would probably ask for a little more distortion, and maybe a little tighter chunk, but it is still very close. I've been playing for 5 years now, and play for about 4 hours every day. If it were stolen, I'd have to wonder how they made off with it without my notice. I'd probably buy it again, or buy the higher wattage version, since we're getting bigger audiences now, and we don't rig it through the house. The 3 channels for the price is really great. Sure, I'd like the mode four, but I have a drumset to upgrade as well. I'd like a bigger footswitch for it, but that is really minor. It's a great amp. // 10

GT1200H Reviewed by: Mad-Mike_J83, on may 20, 2009

Purchased from: Pawn Central

Features: I bought this amp after thinking about it as a potential backup for nearly 4-5 months straight. I needed a decent reliable solid state backup for my once problematic Bugera 333XL head, and this became my selection as after playing it in the store, it had a close enough sound and features to what I need to "get by" on. - Made sometime after 2004, Not sure, never bothered to look it up - 120 Watts, Solid State - Technically 3 Channels, but it's really 2 with a solo booster built-in - Metal 3 button footswitch (had to order this as it did not come with the amp) - Rather reactive Spring Reverb, which sounds great and can be quite surfy when needed. It fills the need for the Bugera's backup well, it has a solo boost, it has a clean and distortion channel that sound good, and it's solid state so I can power it up and expect it to be up and running once I swap speaker cables from amp to amp in a hurry. That's my criteria in a backup head. There are some features I have no use for, Line-In's and Line-Outs, I don't use any of them, especially on an amplifier head. About the only thing I need those on is something like my V-amp that will be in a home studio environment, and even then, Line ins are a little redundant. Generally this amp is used Live and at rehearsal, but most of the time, It wait's for my Bugera to break down again so I can swap to it. I also use it for Youtube vids (as well as my other amp) when I feel like recording a real amp and not an emulation. I'll give it an 8, not perfect, but what I expected in an amp so I'm not dissapointed in the least, just not likely to use this as a main anytime soon. // 8

Sound: My guitar list is on my gear page on my profile, which varies from hot-rodded surf guitars, Vintage classics with some modernized appointments to aid stability, and oddly put together home brews, and about every kind of pickup from strange old Harmony pickups to Active EMG pickups, to aftermarket Seymour Duncans, to cheap crappy strat copy single coils. This amp is a little more metal than my current projects need, but that's okay since if I need a solid state metal sound I have it, and it's my backup so it does not matter much anyway. This thing, in contrast to my main head, is pretty noisy when turned up and running full tilt, especially with something with single coils (ie, my Vintage Fender Mustang). Saving grace is it can be tamed by strategic footswitching and volume knob readiness. The sounds I get are mostly 80's rock type tones, and very Pantera-esque metal tones. This thing excells at the scooped midrange metal tones found on a lot of modern metal records, very thick, chunky, and loud. The gain levels are insane on the solo boost (which I have a double use as a "modern metal" channel for rhythms). The clean is very warm and organic. About the only difference I can tell from tubes and this is that it's not organic as much as it is by means of dynamics. The sound is very compressed and very focused, but still has that "cardboard" transistor quality to it. The clean channel has a lot of headroom and stays clean all the way up to around 8 or so. Whereas the distortion can be very brutal, very Vintage, or even pull off a bluesy overdrive with the right EQ. A good starter head for those Who don't want to deal with all the maintenance Tubes require. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'm sure I can depend upon it, given my experience with Crates in the past, plus after looking at it inside and out I can confirm this is not a cheap design (at least not totally). The few construction gripes I have, well, only gripe, is the reverb tank and how they attached it with 4 super long screws, so it flops around. I much prefer how it was done on my old Epiphone Stereo Chorus combo I had in high school, 4 screws on rubber grommets. I also dislike plastic jacks and how the rear jacks have no bolts holding them on, but it's not that expensive amp so I'll let it pass, on a more upward note, the footswitch is a quality piece of hardware, made out of metal, like a good footswitch should. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly hard rock based music, often with a tinge of heavy metal and new wave here and there. This amp fit's the bill of backup perfectly, and could do the job as a main amp if really needed, but I ever so much more prefer the tube sound. However, I expect ALL my backup amps to be solid state because of the following reasons... - I can quickly Switch from the failing tube amp faster, and not have to wait on warming tubes to jump back in. - I don't need to worry about loose tubes, blown fuses (except the one on the back for the mains), or my bias drifting after months of inactivity. - It's lighter and makes the task of moving my whole Live rig around less of a pain and eases up on my muscle stress. I've been playing 14-15 years now, I play semi-professionally, and also do my own "fun projects" on the side. I demand a lot out of my gear, am very picky when it comes to sound and amplification (I know what I like and try new things all the time to see if anything better has come along). If it were stolen or lost, just find another one, heck, it's a Crate, they're plentiful, and easy to get, that's one reason I like this amp as a backup. It's like having a good solid strat for a backup, you can rely on it to do the job when called. As far as comparison shopping goes, I put this up against most of the solid state heads I played, which included a Laney, another Crate (a stereo Crate with an obscure footswitch that It did not come with), several Peavey heads, and the B-52. This one sounded the best and had the lowest price, so that's how it won out of things like the XXL Transtube and the Randall Roadking 100. It took me 3 months to decide on this. I'll give it an 8 for my purposes, it fills the need, does the job well, and reliably, though I would not mind an extra channel and an external solo boost like my Bugera. // 8

GT1200H Reviewed by: OFFFEJ, on august 10, 2007

Purchased from: musicans friend

Features: This amp is versityle enough for every style of music I have been influenced to play, from Metallica to elvis to Brand New. It has three channels with three channels foot Switch and reverb. It also has an effects loop. The only feacture that could compliment this amp would be a master volume. That way when I wanted a higher volume I wouldn't have to change every channel to get it. The only feature that I don't use in context would be the rythme channel I use it as a mute channel. I rock this amp in my bedroom, at practice, and outside, with enough power for all to hear. // 8

Sound: I am using a Dean evo, Fender strat, pickups are good from single coiled to humbuckers. It suits my style of rocking well. With the reverb all the way up it is noisy in any enviroment. The sound ranges from metal to acoustic. The clean channel stays clean from the lowest volume to the highest one in any settings. The distortion is brutal enough for Metallica but not quite enough for disturbed. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Considering I have no backup and it has never given out on me yet I would depend on the amp in a gig. The only tip needed in maintaning this amp is not to leave it in a vehical parked in the sun for any substancial amount of time or the casing will crack around the screws. // 7

Overall Impression: As I've mentioned this amp is a good match for Metallica, elvis, and Brand New. I have been playing for 2 1/2 years. If it were to be lost or stolen I would by a Marshall, because I feel they have a better sound. It is a good beginer half stack, but compared to others such as Marshall and Mesa-Boogie it falls a little short. // 7

GT1200H Reviewed by: BlkGuitarRedCar, on october 26, 2005

Features: This is a great sounding amp for the money. My band just recently started playing gigs and I needed a bigger amp to play shows with but being on a budget I couldn't afford any high end equipment. You can't beat $500 for a 4x12 halfstack. The head puts out 120w and is plenty loud. It's a 3 channel (solo, rythm, and clean). I have to say the amp distortions on this head really impressed me. It's really versital in different styles. I have used it from hardcore metal to punk rock to classic rock. The cab that came with it is just a standard Crate 4x12 cab but sounds really nice. I haven't tried but I have heard of people using bigger cabs and the head still pushing out plenty of power. The reverb is so so on this amp but I wasn't really looking for good effects anyways when I bought this, I just needed something that would crank out loud. // 9

Sound: I have used several guitars with this amp and they all sound great. I started with a Squier Bullet series (low of the lowest in Squier) Strat and it sounded decent. The I have used my '77 model Fender Strat and also a Les Paul and a couple of different Gibsons. They all sound wonderful on this amp. I have used this amp in small rooms, large rooms and even outdoors and the sound is always been good. The only thing is on some guitars the bass can be to much even with the lows turned down. You really only seem to notice this though in smaller rooms playing by yourself with out any other musicians. As far as effects go you have distortion and reverb and that's it. Not exactly the amp to go for if you like using several different effects. With me all I needed was distortion so it works fine by me. At times with the gain up you can get some feedback but I wouldn't say anymore than other amps with high gain. I don't care to much for the rhythm channel distortion but the solo channel to me sounds great. // 9

Reliability & Durability: To sum this up its just tough. Its been dropped banged scratched and everything else and still never misses a lick. The cabnet is also pretty tought to. I have never had a problem blowing fuses or anything with this amp. I don't own a backup amp so I have to really count on this one being reliable and it has never let me down. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I would say for the money you cant beat it. If your looking for something to play gigs with or just practice and your on a budget then go out and try one of these. $500 for a head and 4x12 cabnet is just awesome. Its very reliable and I have never had a problem with it. Doesn't measure up to a Marshall or other high end products but for someone on a budget it will be awesome. I have played all types of music on this amp. Metal, hard rock, punk, church music, praise and worship, even acoustic stuff with my Ibanez acoustic/electric. If your looking for a new amp defintly go out and at least give this one a shot. I wish it had just a few more controls besides shape and gain on the solo channel but other than that I would have to say this amp is defintly a keeper for me. // 10

GT1200H Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 22, 2005

Purchased from: Mother

Features: Made in 2005, this amp surprised me on how well it sounds for the price and considering it's a solid state amp. It has 3 channels (awesome feature) with basic EQ controls/volume on each, stand alone reverb control, CD input (RCA connections), on/off switch that functions both in the "on" and "off" mode. 120W of Solid state power which is compairable to a 50W tube amp. No headphone jack or effects loop. I wouldn't use either of those, so I don't care. This amp is a great basic amp for the price, and holds it's own well in a band situation. // 8

Sound: Alright, I bought a new Ibanes RG321MHRB, and my Old Line 6 AX2 212 just wasn't cutting it anymore. Especialy since I was playing next to a Marshall JCM 2000. To be honest, I almost never pluged this amp in while at the music store, cause I was so turned off by another Solid State amp. I was goingto buy Ibanez's TB100H, but the cleantone sucked. And I figured it would be the same with this amp. But I was wrong, the clean tone sounds very good being what this amp is. I am surprised I found a solid state amp for this cheap that can keep up to a Marshall in a band situation, but this one does it. I play it through a Marshall 4x12 cab. Now granted, it doesn't sound as good as a tube amp would, but it does the job. The distortion is awesome on this thing. But only if you play Metal. If your in to Alternative, or jsut rock, this distortion would eb too "hair rocker" for you. Although you have good control over teh shape on the solo channel, and the 3 band EQ on the Rythm channel, you can't get a Nirvana/Chains/Pearl Jam sound out of it, It's more of a Pantera/Slipknot/Mudvayne kinda sound.If I had to name bands. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I dunno how reliable this amp is. It's my first Crate amp, but From what I have heard they are pretty tough. And Solid state amps can usualy take a beating. Would I buy a backup amp with this one? nope. But since I still have my old Line 6 I'll be bringing that along incase. // 10

Overall Impression: I play alot of metal right now as I am ina metal cover band. This amp is perfect! I just let the Marshall take the lead on the clean parts (this amp provides a great backup in that department) and then we both kick in during the heavy parts. This distortion works very well with the stock Marshall Gain cranked. I have been playing for over 10 years, and I play that Ibanez through it and a Fender Jaguar (wich also sounds great through this amp, especialy on the clean tone). I love the price and the sound I can get out of it. I'd definately buy another one if I couldn't afford a Tube Amp. Solid state is better now then a few years back, but I have found that this amp has a way better clean tone than the others I have played, wich is what sold me on it. If your ona tight budget, give this amp a try. My music store let me test drive this amp for a weekend with the band, see if your's will too. It's the only way to buy an amp, cause they all sound different when you take them home. // 10

GT1200H Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 04, 2006

Features: Before starting I'll say that I do not actually own the amp. It is my best friend's head which I've used for multiple shows when I couldn't use my own. I personally have a Randall RH200SC, beautiful amp by the way, but am writing a review based on my experience gigging and jamming with him. It is a 2006 amp that he bought new from guitar center. I play different types of metal, in terms of covers I go from Lamb Of God to In Flames to Wintersun. It really isn't versatile in terms of changing the sound much. It has 3 channels, which is good, but I only ended up using clean and putting a Boss Metal Zone distortion on it because I really do not like the distortion of the amp. The reverb on the amp is good, it is the only effect on it but I generally only use reverb when I play. This amp had enough power for when I used them, once at a venue in which the amps were mic'd and once when it was not in an outdoor show. However don't expect stadium coverage with this amp, the 120 watts of this amp really sounds more like 80. // 8

Sound: I used this amp with a Schecter Diamond Series guitar with stock pickups. The clean on this amp was fine for the small gigs I used it for, but I prefer tone with more warmth to it. My main problem with this amp is the distortion channels. The solo channel didn't even have enough gain for my taste, let alone rhythm. Also, the tone has an annoying buzzy sound no matter what you try to do to get rid of it, I tried turning the treble to zero, but it still stayed, I also tried the entire mid spectrum, and it didn't help, and the noise was too high to be a low problem. Basically the tone is really not too good for most kinds of metal. I could see it working for hard rock or classic rock, but not for what I play. // 3

Reliability & Durability: It seems like a pretty durable amp. It's solid state, so it's not as fragile as a tube, and doesn't require as much maintenance. Good starter head in terms of reliability. It's telling me to write "reliability & durability", I don't know why, but just ignore this statement. // 10

Overall Impression: Really I don't approve of the amp. It isn't a bad amp for the price range, it's one of the cheapest on the market, but if you're really serious about your Live sound I wouldn't go with this. For the same price you could find a used Randall like I did, used Marshall Valvestate, Peaveys, B-52's, there are plenty of alternatives that I would probably point you to if you have a similar music taste as I do. // 4

GT1200H Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 23, 2007

Purchased from: Portman's Music Superstore

Features: I bought the 2006 model. It has 3 channels, clean, rhythm and solo. The head came with a 3-way channel foot-Switch which saves lives! 120 watts, good for medium sized gigs and excellent for practice at home. Solid-state head with stereo auxilary inputs and an insert for special Crate external effect processors. // 7

Sound: Sounds good with both humbuckers and single-coils. Strat-styled guitars sound a lot better on this than on a lot of other amps. Jazz/Hollow-bodies sound excellent on the thing. Really brings out the bass in its tone. Clean stayes clean up to about 75% then starts to get a little fuzzy. Distortion is alright, but I wouldn't recommend this to a Metal guitarist. However, it's good for the one looking to get Jimi's distortion levels. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Built like a tank. Plain and simple. Always works. I never have to worry about it blowing up or freezing. Been dropped a couple of times and hasn't quit working once. Excellent construction. Only problem I've had is the plastic nut for the input jack cracked so I replaced it with a metal one. Other than that, it's perfect. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly jazz/funk/rock fusion. Best head I've found that gets me the sounds I wanted. Been playing close to three years, totally self-taught. If I lost it, I'd buy another one, but maybe a diffferent year (I'd get the most recent release). Great step-up from my Frontman 15 watt amp. I do wish it had more power, but it is excellent for the price I paid. // 8

GT1200H Reviewed by: metaldier, on september 17, 2007

Purchased from: Billy Hyde Music

Features: This is an amazingly versatile and reliable amp head. It features three channels, clean, rhythm and solo and also has an inbuilt spring reverb. Also on this is a CD input which has worked wonders whenever I want to jam to songs and compare tones. This amp came with a footswitch to select channels and/or reverb which I found was a great feature. // 9

Sound: I've used this with a Silvertone Sovereign (Duncan pickups), Les Paul with stock pickups and I'm currently using an ESP Eclipse (previously used ESP SV Standard) with EMG 85 and 60. The clean channel with the EMGs is a really great tone, with no buzz. I rarely use the rhythm channel as it's not the best distorted sound in my opinion. Although, The solo channel on the other hand is great for distortions. I can play anything from Metallica to Killswitch to Necrophagist and the tone is great, especially for the price paid. Great sound. My only complaint is on the solo and rhythm channels is the buzz you get when you don't play. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have had no problems with this whatsoever in regards to reliability and durability, I find is a very very reliable amp head. I've had this thing thrown around from rooms to rooms and houses to houses. It's gone through cold weather, hot weather, damp weather, black outs, yet it doesn't seem to have a weak spot. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression is that it's such a cheap head with an amazing sound to it. You can play anything from blues to death metal. I definitely recommend this to anyone looking for their first head or a good sound from a not so expensive head. I love the solo channel, mostly because I play metal, and I find it just great to play at low and high volumes. I've been silly at times and turned it up to 10 with the amp in one room and myself in another, and it doesn't get muddy at all. What I don't like is the buzz you get from the gain. Although pretty much all amps do this, this one isn't so much a buzz that is wanted at all. // 8

GT1200H Reviewed by: leadg, on february 18, 2008

Features: It doesn't matter what model really these sound good. You may have to do some tweaking to get what you want, but for solid state and for the price they sound good. In fact I know many musicians who could get any amp they want and would still probably buy Crate amps. Can't say they are the best because this is a review and everyones opinion is different. You could think it sucks, the next guy could say it's the best so I will never give a 10. // 7

Sound: Schecter Gryphon with Dimarzio tone zone pickups and PAF Joe. My style is alternative metal and metal. Yeah it has a lot of noise, but that's distortion for you. If you stand to close you get a lot of feedback so use a noisegate. Bluesy distortion (rhythm channel) not great, but don't play like that anyways. The solo channel is awesome. It uses the EQ from channel 2 and requires some tweaking though. The clean sounds good and the reverb works real well. I think it's spring reverb. The clean stays clean no matter what. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It is quite durable and dependable. I'd use it in a gig any day. I've never had any problems with it and no tubes (solid state) so easy maintenance. Easy maintenance, dependable, gig worthy, and I don't actually think it will break down so you decide. I take care of my equipment. If anything did blow on it I would think it would be the fuse or something easy to fix nothing big and for me it would probably be my fault. // 10

Overall Impression: I play alternative and metal. it fits me pretty well don't know if it fits the style, but I suppose it does. I've been playing for about 5 years now, own 2 amps and 3 guitars, but all mostly cheap gear. it's simple and easy to figure out. If it was stolen I'd probably not buy it again because it's not everything that I've desired, I'd by something better. My favorite feature is the grit you get from the distortion. I bought this on a whim. I had no amp and was broke so I went cheap and got pretty lucky. // 8

GT1200H Reviewed by: PunkyMetalThing, on october 28, 2010

Price paid: A$ 230

Purchased from: Cash Converters (Secondhand)

Features: The Crate GT1200H is a 120 watt solid state amp head. It is quite versitlies and has a great amount of features for the price such as, 3-channels (Clean, Rhythm and Solo), 3 way footswitch, built-in reverb, CD input and an effects loop. It has a 3-band EQ for the Clean channel which also exist on the Rhytm channel with the obvious gain control whilst on the Solo there is only a Shape control as well as a gain one. I predominantly play metal and hardcore and this amp seems to work well with these styles, but as I mentioned before it has great versatility for a range of styles anywhere from country tones to the most brutal of death metal. Definitely for it's price, I think the amount of features on this amp is quite astonishing and is definitely a great, first amp head. // 8

Sound: I play three guitars with this head, they are a 2010 Ibanez RG7321, 2009 Ibanez RG170DX and an Epiphone Les Paul Special II. All three guitars are exactly as I bought them with no hardware changes made them whatsoever. As mentioned previously I predominantly play heavier styles of music such as metal and hardcore, which this amp is pretty amazing for. However, for these tones you have to kick in the solo boost on the rhythm channel otherwise there isn't enough gain. On this solo boost channel you have plenty of gain on tap which makes it perfect for all your metal styles as the Shape control on this channel can alter your sound massively. Since the Solo channel is a boost off the rhythm channel, the 3-band EQ applies to this channel two, so any changes made on the EQ on the Rhythm will be heard also in your Solo channel. But by using the Shape control you can adjust it anyway you want to get a good tone out of it. So lets talk tones, on the Solo channel having the Shape control turned all the way up will cut your mids and give you a tone with strong bass presence good for death metal and lower tunings as it packs a super amount of punch. Having the shape at about 3 O'clock will give you a good Metallica-esque sound, with the mids thrown in the mix a bit more but still with plenty of beef on those lower notes. At 12 o'clock you have a neutral setting, which if you go a little bit closer to about 1 O'Clock you can get some mid tones similar to that of Children Of Bodom. I find this range also better for the soloing aspects of playing as theres an even mix of mids and highs. As you turn more towards 0 on the Shape you begin to get more treble, good for black metal tones but which is also a danger zone for those (like me) who play at high gain levels as the feedback grows and grows the closer you get to 0. Thats about it for the Solo channel, plenty of gain, which gives a kind of "whipsy" sounding distortion and a good amount of versatility in tone. The Rhythm channel is good for hard rock and bluesy tones, playing around with the EQ you can get tones not disimilar to Led Zeppelin and AC/DC, but as mentioned before, there is not enough gain on this channel, in my opinion, for metal sounds. It has a good range though, for example if you dial back the gain on this channel as close as you can to 0 you can get a nice crunchy kind of clean tone, which I quite enjoy. The clean channel is quite amazing, doesn't crack up at high volumes and the EQ is fairly responsive. I don't play too much clean stuff, but fiddling with the EQ you can get quite a variance in the tones you want, and in conjunction with the built in reverb it can produce some really relaxing and soothing sounds. This amp is quite loud, it sits on top of a Behringer BG412V in my room, which means I only ever need the volume at 2-3. Due to the serious amount of gain on this head, you will get feedback fairly easily if things are cranked. In a larger room this happens around volume 5/6 whilst in smaller rooms at about 4 it becomes unbearable. So I suggest some kind of noisegate or suppresion in order to eliminate this if you're playing live. However with the right set up you can avoid the feedback enough to Jam with your buddies clearly overiding the volume of the drums with no hassels. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Since mine is second hand I don't know its exact history, but it seems to be in good nick and since having it I haven't had a problems with it so in the instance of a gig, I'd be perfectly happy to play with this head, although its probably better suited to being a back up head as it is more of a beginner style amp. It seems sturdy and durable so I believe it would be a fairly decent gigging amplifier. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this is a great head for the price, I doubt there is much more value for money when it comes to beginner heads. It's got all the features you need as well as great versatility in sound as well as seemingly good durability. Although I have one grievence with it, on the distorted channels you do get a bit of buzz in the background, which would easily be alieviated with a noisegate, but it is annoying until you get used it. Other than that this is quite a perfect amp for people who like myself who have been playing for around 2 years and are ready to get more involved with jamming and forming bands. If it were stolen, I'd be pretty cut up about it, although I'd look for another one, but since its a discontinued model, good luck to you! I'd go for the Crate Flexwave 120H, which as far as I am aware, is the re-realese of this amp. I compared this head with other second hand heads such as a Marshall MG100hdfx, which has nowhere near enough distortion for myself, whilst other heads in a similar price range, don't offer the versatility and features that this head does. This head is quite amazing for its price, which is the Killer bonus, its got a great sound especially for the jaw-droppingly low price. // 9

GT1200H Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 17, 2011

Purchased from: Craigslist ad

Features: 120 watts solid state. Three channels( solo, rhythm, clean.) Clean has the following eq: volume, Low, Mid, High, Reverb. Solo has a Gain and Shape and Level with the low, mid, high for both solo and rhythm while rhythm has different gain and volume knobs. Has cd input. In the back theirs the fuse, insert( for effects loop) speaker output(40hm minimum) two plugs for the foot Switch one for reverb other for solo and rhythm. Loud enough for me! The cabinet is A Crate gt412sl cabinet(8 ohms). // 7

Sound: I use a ESP LTD EX-260 with lh-301 pickups. Solo has a good pound sound for metallica sound. The distortion is better than none. It can be good for anywhere from metallica to black sabbath. Variety is better then most solid states amps competitors. It can get loud. Manual says 110db with solo channel and all settings at 10 while clean is 54db with all settings on 10. (Don't remember rhythm db max) Has slm electronic speakers in it and do sound good with a good setting. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The spring reverb stop working when coming back from a Jam session with my cousins that live 2 hours away but the highway had lot of potholes and it was like 10th trip I think? I would always have a backup as a preference because of more a professional do so. // 7

Overall Impression: I play death metal and I use it as a power amp with all my effects coming from a DigiTech gnx 4 guitar workstation. All my guitars sound good with the Crate gt412sl/ which I added a Marshall mg412b later on to the half stack into a full stack. My 2008 ESP LTD EX-260 explorer sounds Killer for Slayer live covers. My 1997 B.C.Rich Frankenstein Warlock (platinum series) sounds Killer for death metal and clean. And my 2006 ESP LTD JH-600 electric guitar kills this amp in the sound department. I would recommend this half stack as a upgrade because Crate in my opinion is a good amp company for the price and the speakers are good for the "sound quest" setting for your desire. I reach my sound desire with the volume up a lil and my pedal. Make sure you use A speaker cable as a instrument cable can burn out the amp since its shielded cable.( my preference is Planet Waves Speaker cable) I would buy this amp again. Had this amp a Crate g212combo and a Dean practice and Crate have been good for me sound and price wise. // 9

GT1200H Reviewed by: Hunter2081, on august 04, 2011

Price paid: € 120

Purchased from: Waltons Ireland

Features: I'm not too sure when this amp was made, roughly about 2004 would be a good guess. It has 3 channels, lead, crunch, clean, which are footswitchable with an included switch. Strangely enough for something geared towards gigging, it has an audio jack input for ipod, heaven knows what possessed them to do this. It's a 120watt head, a very very loud solid state head. // 6

Sound: I've used all of my electric guitars through it (melody maker, strats, telecaster, les paul)...and so with these guitars I have most of the testing basses covered. I play a broad spectrum of genres from jazz to metal, although punk and rock is where I mostly dwell. This amp is good for only one thing, heavily compressed metal. I played some megadeth and metallica through it and felt reasonably happy...however, try to play jimi hendrix, rory gallagher, guns n roses, the clash...and prepare to cringe in low fidelity solid state. I've played many superier solid state amps, let alone tube. Overall the strengths lie in very very loud heavy metal.. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This is something that this amp does well. I had the misfortune of gigging with this amp for over a year as a lead guitarist and lead vocalist. Although I detested every mintute that I played through it, no matter how rough my band and I got, this amp would barely take a scratch. We've been very rough to this amp and it still comes back for more each time. // 7

Overall Impression: I play a broad spectrum of music. I've been playing for 4 and a half years obsessively, to the point where I outplay many more experienced guitarists. I wish I wasn't as obsessed with power as I was when I bought this amp, as I would have bought a Vox vt30/vt50 instead. I compared it to some Roland products (practise amps)..and really it was only power that made me buy this amp. Truthfully I wish I saved up some money and bought something better. Using the same guitars with my new amp, I sound much much better. // 6

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BV120H 8.1 Guitar Amplifiers 06/24/2013