GT15 Review

manufacturer: Crate date: 05/29/2008 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Crate: GT15
The GT15 was designed to be the perfect practice/home studio amp. Light and powerful, this amp offers beginners all of the essential tone to begin their musical voyage.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.8
 Features: 8.7
 7.7
 8.5
 6.9
reviews (4) 15 comments vote for this gear:
GT15 Reviewed by: Abandoned67, on april 09, 2007

Purchased from: Village Music

Features: Well it has never failed me for practice, and I have even used it in small places areas to play. Never with a drummer though, so I can't say how well that it would work with one. Sounds decent up to pretty high levels, but I want people to remember that if you have bad or cheaper picups it wont sound as good as if I played my Gibson SG on the amp. The distortion (solo) is not good I would say almost not good at all but it is OK still not amazing by far. It has all the usual controls solo: gain and level, clean: level, equalization: low mid and high, rev: level. It has jacks for headphones, input, speakers, and CD input. The CD input is an awesome way to hook up your Ipod or CD player and jam to a song you know with the song. Although you do need the wires for it. For the money I would say that is was well worth the buy. I use it all the time to jam with two other guitarists and we all almost have the same size amps and we make the basement so so loud, so it is definitly something that I use well and trust. // 10

Sound: I am using a imitation Fender Stratocaster, which has decent picups so it sounds ok through the amp. I also have a Gibson SG wich makes the amp sound a lot better. I play all kinds of music like classic rock and roll, rock, alternative, metal, blues, country. I play lots and lots of stuff. I have a distortion pedal and it is fun to use though the amp and it sounds ok. It is very very loud but doesn't always sound all that great loud, depends on the picups like I said above. The clean channel is distorted a little when at high volumes, but I never have it like all the way up so yea. The distortion is pretty bad, but with a distortion pedal the amp sounds decent. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it, I use it at freinds houses all the time and sometimes I use it other places. I have never played a real real gig, and I deffinitly wouldn't use it for one. It has never broken. The back is fully exposed so the conections from the head to the cab (speaker) could be broken relativly easy. I put cords and all kinds of other stuff in the back for transport and I love that I can do that. // 9

Overall Impression: I think that this amp is worth the money that you pay for it. I like using it and it is lound enough for what I have been doing lately. But I am looking at buying another bigger amp in the future. I don't really hate anything but I don't really love anything about it. If I lost it or it got stolen I would problably buy it again because it works good and I use it so much. But if I found something that was a little bit bigger for only a little bit more money I would buy that enstead. // 9

GT15 Reviewed by: badbrad101, on january 29, 2007

Features: Nice practice amp with a little bit for everything. It's got 3 equalization knobs: low, mid, and high. It's got a gain and level control as well, for the "solo" channel. It also has a clean volume knob. Its two channels, clean and solo (as mentioned above), deliver some great sound with nearly no interfearence. It's also got another cool feature: a CD jack. I plugged my CD player in it and boy was it loud! However, there is no volume control for the CD player jack. It's one volume is very loud. It's got an external speaker and headphone jack as well as a standard 1/4 audio guitar jack. 15 watts of power sounds like my friends Marshall halfstack. It's pretty loud. // 7

Sound: Great. No noise at all, just the guitar. I can plug my keyboard or drum machine into it, and there is still no interference. It can do heavy metal or rock, or even Mozart if it had to. clean channel sounds acoustic. It's nice. I use an Epiphone G15 SG and a Washburn X series and it sounds awesome. The overdrive on the amp is the worst distortion I've ever heard. It's not bad, it's just not distortion. I am a fan of crisp, metal distortion. But it's great for solos and stuff. I'd stick with a pedal on the distortion though. Overall nice sound. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Hard plastic, with a cloth grill cover. I'd use it in 1000 gigs without a backup. I'd have not thought att all that it would stop working. At 15 pounds, it's the most sturdy amp I've ever had. The connections to the speaker look fragile, but that's fine. I've tried to use a plier to get the knobs off, but I cant. Its plastic like metal. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock and some rock like gnr, and this is a great amp for it. If this was stolen, I'd by another one, but with reverb. That's the only thing I wish it had. it's a rugged monster that can be used for practice or gigs. I compared it to a Marshall and older Crate and it easily blows them both out. I took it right out of the box and it was perfect. Great amp. I'm out of things to say. but this will stay with my guitar forever. No doubt. // 8

GT15 Reviewed by: icpgettozone, on november 13, 2007

Sound: I only use my bridge pickup through it. Buts that only because the neck pickup on my Dean EVO XM has garbage. But other guitars sound fine through it. The distortion is pretty sick. Turn the middle all the way down and the low and high all the way up and it's really rounchy. The distortion channel is labled "solo" just so you kno. The clean channel distorts after 3/4ths the way up. It dose have some veritey. Some. but what can you do with a small 15 watt amp w/o effects. But Crate amps are more rock and heavyness where Fender amps of the same range and capiblaites is for blues. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It hasn't let me down yet. It's my portable beater amp and it's taken hours of jammin at my buddies houses. I don't play it much becasue I have a Marshall combo. Which is great. It can sit for over a week and when plugged into again it's plays like the day I got it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostley metal and some classic rock. It works just dandy for it all. I've been playin more than 3 years now and I've been through a lot of hours and frustriation. At the moment I just own my Dean EVO XM and a Marshall MG250DFX Stereo Combo Amp (this amp kicks ass) but I don't move it any where. And a few assortment of pedals and cables. My favorite pedal is the DigiTech Grunge. Which sounds really good through bolth the Marshall and Crate. I got it for my birthday completley unpronounced to my mother (I didn't tell her I wanted another amp) but it's good to have to kick around and pratcice on. I love the portablilty and that's about it. It sounds good and what not. If it were lost or stolen ide buy the 30 watt big brother to this amp with the effects. Probley the only thing to compair this amp to is the Fender Frontman 15. I just wish it had some effects. Get it for your kids or for yourself if you wanna pratcice or take I places, peace out // 7

GT15 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 29, 2008

Features: This is one of the best amps I've ever owned (the others were cheap, unheard of brands) and I would definitely buy another amp from Crate. This is amp is very capable of playing basically every style, though I would not recommend it for blues. This is a two channel amp, one labeled Clean, and other labeled Solo (distortion). The distortion is ok, but not anywhere near as good as something you could get out of a more expensive amp or a pedal. I generally play this in my room or jam with friends, and I've played some pretty small gigs with it, but never with a drummer. The one feature I truly appreciate is the external speaker jack which I never used up until very recently. I discovered the amp puts out a lot more power than I originally thought and can run a cab with a single tweeter and 12" subwoofer even louder than drums. This is not a lie, try it. // 9

Sound: I use a strat-copy with 3 single-coil pickups, the neck pickup raised a little higher than the rest of the others. The sound quality is excellent through this amp, though I would prefer the original Marshall tone. Turned all the way up, this amp in clean barely distorts and I have yet to replace any parts in it to prevent distortion (ex. speaker.) As I said before, the distortion channel is ok, but not the best. "There is enough variety for any beginning guitarist or professional guitarist," quoting my very good friend Tim Who has been playing guitar for 30 years and is a professional guitarist. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would not use this amp on a gig without a backup. Just because it sounds good in clean turned all the way up does not mean it won't blow when distortion from an outside source is applied. Also playing with drums would be a pain. This amp has not let me down yet and I hope to hang on to it for years to come. Though I might buy a new speaker, just as a preference. // 10

Overall Impression: I play various styles, though mainly rock and metal. This amp is perfect for the two and combines well with other pedals. I have been playing for 6 years and use a DOD Death Metal Distortion, a FAB Chorus and Distortion (Christmas presents, but they get the job done), and a Zoom 606 Multi-Effects Pedal. If I lost this amp somehow, I would probably buy a new one, but if the better amp is sitting next to it then I can say goodbye GT15. I do wish it had footswitch capabilities and reverb, but it still works very well. // 9

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BX15 5.5 Bass Amplifiers 06/17/2014