GT15R Review

manufacturer: Crate date: 06/09/2008 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Crate: GT15R
Crate GT15R 15 watt Amp with Reverb: 15 Watts RMS; FlexWave Evolution 5 preamp; Level for Channel Two; 3 Band MasterEQ section; External speaker jack; RCACD inputs reverb.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Features: 8.5
 6.3
 4.5
reviews (2) 15 comments vote for this gear:
GT15R Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 09, 2004

Features: This amp is amazing. It has such natural and full sound quality with a dual channel selector. Switching from clean to distortion is done by clicking a button. It has several dials for adjusting the settings. Gain, Distortion volume, Clean volume, Low, Medium and High tone effects, and reverb are the main features. This amp is a digital stereo version, and features a headphone jack, and an output jack perfect for recording straight to your PC or to another amp/speaker. The effects are awesome and of great quality. I can't believe this amp is only $169 + tax. // 10

Sound: I prefer using the amp with my bridge pickups. It has the most tone and a great sound to it. I play anything thats rock, metal or punk, (Metallica, Linkin park, Godsmack, System of a down... just to name a few) And let me say this amp sounds awesome for them. It suits my style perfectly, and I definatly like the sound quality. Clean is actually clean, without the least amount of distotion at any volume. The clean sounds screwed when you drop to a neck pickup and lower the tone, but hey, what can you do. Thats plain stupidity. The distortion is immense, but I believe its my cheap ass guitar that makes it at times too unclear. Great quality though. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't take this to a big gig because I really wouldn't trust the speaker at high volume. It's a 15 watt amp, and I've never pushed it to the max volume cause I've never had to, but I wouldn't cause it could very well blow the speaker. It's never broken down on me or lost any sound quality, it's as good as the day I bought it. And I play this thing every day for hours so I definitely trust it for practice or small shows. It's sturdy and durable. I always lug it down to my friends house or sit on it while I play, and it holds up fine. A backup would be a good idea though. // 8

Overall Impression: This amp leaves me speechless. I can't believe how awesome it is for such a low price. If you like anything really heavy, you may want to look for a more expensive amp, especially for live performances. But if you play stuff with low distortion or clean, you'll love it. It's also great for practice, and it's the ideal amp for a beginner with a low budget. Plus once you move up in the music world and need something more powerful for gigs, just buy a speaker and hook it up to the amp, awesome sound. I bet a distortion pedal would do wonders with this amp too, it's great. // 10

GT15R Reviewed by: dan ramP, on june 09, 2008

Purchased from: Soundcontrol

Features: The amp was made in 2005 when I as into rock, like Sum 41, the Offspring and zebrahead, so it did what I needed it to. it's got a clean and gain channel that can be changed with the button between the level and volume controls, not the most helpful place as it's easy to bump the knobs and either make you jump or your guitar to go mute. The only effect it has is reverb, but it seems to be quite good, resisting giving feedback until put past 7. It has headphone and speaker jacks and a CD player imput. I'm mainly a bedroom player with a bit of band experience. it's fine for the bedroom however when it came to using it with a band, the volume pretty much stops at around two thirds and the gain gets quite muddy. It is a solid state amp. // 7

Sound: Originally I ran an Epiphone Les Paul Custom through it, quite a bit of buzzing at high volumes but it didn't sound too bad. I now use a Jackson RR3 which cut down the buzzing but with the adition of an effects pedal over the clean channel, there's still some buzzing. As I now play metal I don't really rely on the amp for my sound as the gain is pretty poor, lacking mids and treble even when they're on 10. The amp only has reverb so there limited stuff that can be done with the amp. The clean channel doesnt't't crack up at high levels too much but it doesnt't't sound particularly good anyway. // 5

Reliability & Durability: The amp is durable, it's been whacked around a lot and it works fine, the input jack came loose once but that was easy enough to sort out. I haven't gigged with it as such but I'd rely on it I guess, but I wouldn't really recoment it for gigging due to it being such low wattage; it is just a practise amp after all. // 9

Overall Impression: Moving from rock to melodic death metal has understandably changed my needs so the amp is quite redundant to me now, I rely on fx pedals to get a decent sound out of it, and I wouldn't recommend it for metal. I've been playing for 2 and a half years so I'm now feeling the need to get a new amp. If it was nicked now I would try and get it back, but not with much effort. However me 2 years younger and I would probably fight for it as it's serves it's purpose as a practise amp. The only niggle I have it the channel button, it could've just been placed a little higher. out of other amps I've played at that similar wattage, it's not come out on top, small line6's sound a lot better. that's not to say Crates aren't good, I played a few larger models and they sounded far superior to this one, and hearing people using the Live, they sounded great. Though I've put the amp down though this review I still thinks it's and alright amp for the bedroom, though fx pedals greatly increase sound quality. it's for the rock player at home but not good enough for high gain or distortion for metal. // 7

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BV120H 8.1 Guitar Amplifiers 06/24/2013