GT212 Review

manufacturer: Crate date: 01/18/2013 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Crate: GT212
Compact, powerful, and tough - there is no better value than Crate's new solid-state GT amps. Featuring Twin Crate Custom 12" speakers, 120 watts RMS, the GT212 is a powerhouse of tone.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Features: 8.3
 8.7
 8.9
 8.4
reviews (13) pictures (2) 25 comments vote for this gear:
GT212 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 20, 2004

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: This is a Sweet Amp. It doesn't come with any effects besides reverb. It works perfectly with the types of music i play, although I wish it had a deeper clean channel. It has 3 channels; clean, rhythm, and solo. They are all perfect(besides the clean but i already mentioned that). Its rythm is awesome, it is more of a lighter distortion, good for ac/dc and others like that. The Solo channel is the best. You can turn the shape up to like a death metal sound or you can turn it the other way and have a kickin solo sound. It has a effects loop and and External Speaker input to hook up another cab to it. It comes with a 3 channel footswith with reverb on it. I wish the amp was louder though...for 120 watts it should be knockin down the walls but its not quit that loud, but it is a solid state amp... // 8

Sound: Like I said earlier this amp has the perfect sound for me. I play a Epiphone Les Paul Custom with an EMG 81 and 85 in it. My sound is like metal and punk and melodic death metal. Its not that noisy when you have have it on the solo channel or the rythm channel. The clean channel gets really high pitched at high volume, but other than that you will have no problems with the sound. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp will NEVER quit on you. I've had it for 1 year and have done some serious giging and not one scratch, this thing is a tank. It has never broken down on me or my friends. Its reliable enough to last you for years without even having to service it for the usual tune up. I would definetly use it without a backup but i would by another cab for it though. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall impression is wow. This thing is a beast and has no limitations. A perfect match for me and anyone else looking for a mean amp to add to their collection. If it were stolen I would definitely find the person who stole it and beat their ass. But if I couldnt find that person I would definetly buy another one...without a doubt. I have compared it with other amps of that power and price and it ranks on top, although the Marshall dgfx100 was nice... But I would still choose the Crate anyday. // 10

GT212 Reviewed by: lp_dude_2, on february 25, 2005

Purchased from: music123.com

Features: My first big amp. Before this I had a Drive CD300 which is a piece of crap 30 watt amp. This amp is pretty versatile. It's got good tube like distortion on the rhythm channel and cruncher SS distortion in the solo channel. 3 channels, clean, rhythm, and solo. Has reverb. Comes with a three button footswitch. Built in effects loop and cab extention. I wish the distortion was a little heavier, but I have a Metal Master so I set it to the clean channel, throw in my Metal Master and I'm set. This thing has 120 watts pumped through 2x12" speakers, this is defentally a gig capable amp. It is soild state but I perfer solid state, more reliable then tube. // 10

Sound: I use my Ibanez SZ320 guitar, DigiTech Metal Master Distortion pedal, and Digitech mutli-chours pedal. I play hard rock/metal and it suits me just fine. Almost no distortion on the clean channel at high volume. The distortion is justa little to tube like for my taste though. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Man this thing is a tank. I've gigged with it plenty of times. I actually had to turn it down one time because the drum set was ratteling so much that our drummer couldnt play. The amp has never broken down even though I've only had it for a few months. // 10

Overall Impression: Defentally get this amp. Second best amp Crate makes, Blue Voodoo being the first. The GT series rules. I also have a GT15R for bedroom jaming. The only thing I dont like about it is the distortion isn't raw enough for my tastes and the damn thing is really heavy but thats expected, just look at the size of it. I compared it to a Marshall MG100HDFX Halfstack and the Crate just blew it out of the water. Defentally check this one out. // 8

GT212 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 26, 2005

Features: This amp can play a variety of music genres. I listen to basically anything with a good guitarist (mostly older stuff) in it and I haven't had a problem coming up with certain sounds (Hendrix, Metallica, AC/DC, Ozzy etc). There are 3 channels: clean, solo, and overdrive. It came with a pedal to switch from channel to channel. There's also a button that switches on the reverb. I wish this amp had some effects on it. Anything really. My amp is up in my room. It's 120 watts so it's pretty damn loud. // 8

Sound: I'm using my Fender Standard Telecaster with my amp. You can get that jimi Hendrix sound very easily on the amp by tweaking around with the settings and putting on the rhythm pickup. You can also get that Metallica sound just by pressing the pedal. The overdrive setting gives a lot of screeching feedback if your not playing (I have to stand 3 ft from it because it's in my room) but when your playing it gives a sick ass sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Yes I would definately use this in a gig without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said before I play many types of music and this amp matches up to them pretty nicely. I've been playing for almost 3 years and I'm self-tought. I own an acoustic guitar that I bought at a garage sale (it actually was worth the 40$) and I own a Squier Strat that I don't use because Squiers are terrible. If it was stolen, I would buy this amp again. My favorite feature is the overdrive. I love playing distorted guitar. I wish it came with a wah wah pedal. // 10

GT212 Reviewed by: TKG9876, on january 23, 2006

Purchased from: Clarks Music

Features: This amp has all the settings I need to play my styles of music: punk/metal. There is nothing more I could ask for, although I do play music that doesn't require much. I use this amp for jamming and playing with my bands. I believe it is definetly capable of blowing the doors off any gig it may encounter. The fact that it is a solid state is good, 'cause tubes bite. // 10

Sound: I play a Washburn WI-64DL with it's standard electric humbuckers. It suits my music style very well, with the rythm channell being perfect for punk, while the lead is great for metal. The clean is amazing as well. There is basiclly no feedback as long as you don't get too close, but that is true with any amp. This is where the sound is a little sketchy: range. There are pretty much 4 sounds it can make: Clean, Overdrive, Distortion and Reverb. The clean channel is fine, but this amp is loud enough to where I don't have ot turn it up too much. The distortion is perfect. Just right. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would say it is very dependable. I've dropped it a couple times, smashed it into things and nothing is wrong yet, not even a tear on the viynl. It has never broken down, and I don't think any amount of neglect would do anything to this beast. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp suites my music perfectly. I've been playing for about 4 years, and I own a Rouge Wah/Volume pedal, and my guitar, 'cause that's all I need with this amp. Nope. I would definetly buy it again. My favorite feature is the footswitch. It makes it so I don't need any pedals. // 10

GT212 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 11, 2006

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: I beleive this amp is one of the newer series from Crate. It is a solid state 120 watt amp, with 2 Crate Custom L 12" speakers. The amp is very versatile for the styles I play which range from metal to classic rock, hard rock, and blues. It has 3 channels, solo, rythme, and clean. It comes with a foot Switch, no effects loop, and also comes with a headphone jack. I wish it had an effects loop, because I don't need to spend more money on pedals. You can also hook this amp up to another cab if you want some more power if you like. There is no feature on this amp I do not use. // 9

Sound: I use a MRW Copy les paul with nickel humbuckers. The sound you can get out of the amp can very very raw which I like. I like the raw sound from Guns N' Roses and Black Sabbath. But then I like the clean bluesy sound I can get out of it too. This amp has a very good down and dirty ryhtme, and solo channel. The Rythem channel is just more bassy. I've only played this amp in my room at just below one. So I'm sure if you like to gig this will be more than enough power. The clean channel is very warm, and I like teh bluesy tone I can get out of it. The distortionn as I said before is very down and dirty. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this amp all the time when I use it. I would definetly gig with this amp without a back up. I haven't ever had a problem with the amp yet. I have droped it once, not from very high, I dropped while I carried it into the garage, and I looked at it, and everything was in place, and works like nothing ever happened, except a scratch on teh side. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression is, I can get any tone I can get close to. I've been playing about 8/9 months, and I use my Dunlop Classic Crybaby a lot on this amp. If it were stolen or lost I would definetly buy another. I love the solo channel it gives you that extra. // 10

GT212 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 22, 2007

Purchased from: American Musical Supply

Features: I bought this amp as my first big amp. It's got drive, clean/reverb, and solo. I love it, though someone might look for an amp with more features. It has just what I need, and just what I use. It's also got a great 3 channel footswitch with it, which I love, it's really durrable and takes my foot pounding on it over and over again. Like most Crate amps. You can stack it too, with any speaker cabinet (Marshall, Krank, Crate, etc). // 9

Sound: I only play a Squier Strat through it, but I have played a Gibson les paul custom through it, the Squier Strat sounds like a lot better of a guitar than it really is, and it makes the Les Paul sounds awesome. I play a lot of punk music, I'm in a punk band, and it suites my style perfectly. It can be noisy, but that's just cause we practice on the second floor in a house, so it's expected with any amp. Otherwise there's very low static, and great control over the volume on it. The clean channel could be a little thicker, but it's still a great sound. The Drive is great, it fits my band perfectly. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can totally depend on this amp. I wouldn't need a backup amp, though I'd probably like stacking it with a cabinet, but I don't need to right now and it's still a great amp eitiher way. The amp has never broken down on me, but then again I wouldn't exactly want to throw any amp down the stairs or treat it harshly to the extreme. However, it is durable and hasn't sustained any damage at the gigs I've played at, or by carrying it around where I go. // 10

Overall Impression: Once again, I play a lot of punk, and this amp is a great match. I've been playing it for about a year, and I play a Squier Strat through a Zoom GFX foot pedal into it. Even with low quality guitars like that, it made it sound a lot better. If it were lost or stolen, I'll be honest and say if I had the money I'd buy a Marshall tube amp, but seeing as I don't have that money, I would totally buy it again. // 9

GT212 Reviewed by: ^Slash^, on april 13, 2007

Purchased from: Act One Music

Features: This amp model I beleive was started in 2004/2005. The GT212 is a solid state amp. The amp is some what versitile. I have trouble trying to get a nice crunch classic rock sound like Zeppelin/Skynyrd which sorta sucks because Skynyrd is one of my favourite bands. Other than that the amp does metal, modern rock very well. The clean is very bassy, even with bass on 0-1 you get a very bassy sound. The amp has 3 channels: clean, rhythm (crunch), and solo (distortion). It comes with a footswitch and a headphones jack. I've gigged with this amp a few times and it held up fine. I use it to jam, in my room, and gigged with it. It has enough power for me. It can get super quiet too. Which is good, because my parents don't like it when it's loud. When the amp is turned up loud (past 5) the sound gets really screwy and I find the guitar doesn't go through as nicely as if it were on 1-3. But that's because it's a solid state. // 8

Sound: I use a Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Custom, and my only effect is a Dunlop Classic Wah pedal. The amp suits my style fine. But I could have probably got better. I play classic rock/metal/blues/funk/modern rock. It gets really broken up at loud volumes which sucks because teh guitar doesn't come through nicely. The clean channel is clear, but like I said, it's alittle bassy for my likings. The distortion is pretty good for the amp. Really suprised me. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this amp without a backup. I've gigged with it before. Plus I don't even have a back up amp. The amp has never broken down once. I haven't dropped it. But sometimes you'll get a buzzing sound. I just turn the amp off and back on and it goes away. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I said I play blues/classc rock/modern rock/metal/funk etc. It's a pretty good match. I've been playing for about 1 3/4 years. And had this amp for about 7 months. I own an MRW ETG34, Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Custom, and a Dunlop Classic Crybaby. There is nothing I wish I had asked about this amp. But I wish I had asked about tube amps. If it were stolen I'd try and beat the guy whole stole it. But I wouldn't buy it again since I'm buying a Marshall half stack soon. I like the distortion on this amp, it's very clear. Probably only channel I like on it. I never compared this amp to any other when I baught it. Overall, pretty good amp. Good price for 120 watts. If you're going to spend 300-400 on a solid state, you should buy a 20-30 watt tube amp. It'll sound better in the long run. // 8

GT212 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 05, 2007

Purchased from: Local Crate Dealer

Features: My first Crate GT 212 I bought was a 2006 and I have another of the same model but a 2007 and as much as I played and pushed the first one I purchased, it sounds just as much perfect as the new one I bought recently. They are incredible amplifiers for the price. They are well enough versatile for me with the three channels you get with them and very easy to control and effective at the same time. I play with local people in whatever situation it can be like in small rooms, garages or even small venues and the amps hold out more than what I can ask for (one is enough). The amps of course are solid state so I mean like the amp doesn't sound as saturated or warm as a tube but I mean if you get a couple of good pedals or even a multi effects pedal the tones you get out of the clean channel alone is well worth the money, almost a barrage. It has three seperate channels, a clean, a rhythmn and a solo, the rhytmn and solo both have a gain and the solo has a shape setting which does effectively work depending on what you want for tone. // 9

Sound: I use a OLP John Petrucci with a Dimarzio Evolution in the neck position and a Seymour Duncan Dimebucker in the bridge. I have a Boss GT-8 multi effects processor and split my signal stereo to each of my Crate GT 212's. I play mostly progressive rock or metal music or anything that changes my mood so I need a little versatility to my control. The Crates hold out well to what I deliver, they have the bottom end of what I want and the high middle settings that I love for noodling or soloing. They are vey quiet amps even with both or them halfway in volume in a 12 by 12 room with gain through my floor processor. I find that the amplifier would be well suited for Blues and genenral clean playing, the rhythmn section is strong enough for rock or hard rock with very little effort but for metal fans it lacks just a little more but the solo channel is really efficient and does it jobs like it's suppose too. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's a tank. That's all I can say. When I can find some type of equipement that can take more than a few hits I'll love it. It's a simple cabinet design and the control panel is basic and what you need. I've never called for my amps to be serviced yet and you get a 5 year waranty for the amplifier itself and a 2 year for the speakers (or the other way around sorry). // 10

Overall Impression: I'm very impressed by this amplifier I mean for the price you pay for it you can't go wrong with it at all. It's efficient, powerful and affordable. For what price your going to pay for a half stack tube amplifier, don't get me wrong I'd love to have a tube amplifier (Mesa all the way), but I'm on a budget but still not discouraged at all by a long shot because I'm going to tell you that if your not a super critic on tube and solid state this amp is well worth the money and the time to find the sounds that you want and I mean it because I've got two of them and I don't care for anything else in the world when those notes sing and surround me. Deffinitly try it out of you need power with a price to give you a smile. // 10

GT212 Reviewed by: FreeManson15, on august 20, 2007

Features: This amp is versatile enough for the styles I play, which are blues, psychedelic, garage, folk, grunge, Indie, and noise. When I pair it with my effects, it sounds tolerable.Its has a clean, rhythm, and solo channel. The cleans on this amp could be better. The rhthym and solo channels are well enough once you learn to work the controls. I can't get a good sound through headphones but that could just be because of a lacking quality in my headphones. I do wish it had some built in effects besides reverb so I could record without hooking up all my pedals. I use this amp at home mostly, only because it's a pain in the ass to lug around to friends houses to Jam. Unfourtunately it is my only amp so I have no choice. It has 120 watts which is way more than enough power for me. I really wish I had just saved my money for a Vox ac30. This amp is a solid state but it has a tube simulator. // 6

Sound: I play through a Cort stratocaster with single coil pickups, which I have made modifications on, and and Ibanez of which I don't know the model name for, but it uses humbuckers. It suits most of my music styles fine, but my music styles don't really require too much. I haven't really had any problems with noise on this amp. It can make a pretty believeable Led Zeppelin tone on the rhythm section if you set it right, and the solo channel is good for metal. The clean channel can be good with the right settings but it's nothing amazing. The distortion can be brutal, but only if you don't know what your doing when setting the tone knobs. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The reliability and durability on this amp is great. I can depend on this amp for sure, it's built like a rock. I would probably use this amp for back up if I had another amp, but right now this is my only one. It hasn't broken down yet, but I've only had it since the beggining of summer. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is alright for my styles of music, but I could do much better, but this amp will do. I have been playing for only about a year most people say it sounds like I've been playing longer than that though. This is the only amp I own besides my Kustom 0 Watt practice amp. If it was stolen I'd probably just save my money and buy a nice Vox or Fender amp with less wattage. // 6

GT212 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 08, 2008

Features: I find that I can get pretty much all the tones I could want from this amp. It is a solid state combo amp with three channels. Clean, Rhythm, and Solo. The clean is very bassy and crunchy but I really like that crispness in a clean tone. With the rhythm channel you can play really high gain modern rock or if you roll the gain way back and turn the volume knob on you guitar back I can definetly hear an ac/dc tone. The solo channel is Highgain metal which sounds pretty good to me. Both the clean and rhythm channels have independent EQ low mid high, and the solo channel runs off of the rhythm eq. The amp came with a foot Switch to change channels and turn off and on the reverb, this thing is super helpful especially when giggin with it. The amp has the ability to add an extension speaker, plug in a CD player or mp3/ipod, and a direct input for pedal boards. I have not used the direct imput for my pedals but it is supposed to give you a better sound. This amp is plenty loud for me, even when I'm onstage or recording I only have the volume at 11:00! // 9

Sound: I play through the Crate GT212 with an Epi SG Special and a S101 strat copy with single coils, and a Zoom G1X and a GCB 95 crybaby in the middle. With this amp I can get that crisp clean sound, blues rock sound, and even metal tones and there hasn't really been a time when this amp didn't sound good, exept when I first got it. It does take a little while for the clean channel to sound great, I just had to mess with the eq a bit. The only time I found this amp to be noisy is when I had it in the same room as my computer for recording. The Crate picked up a signal from it and had a rather loud fuzzy white noise in the background, I moved my GT212 back into my basement. Problem solved. I honestly couldn't tell you if the clean channel gets distorted at high volumes because the highest I have ever had to run the volume is at 12:00. I find this to be an extremely powerful amp which is amazing because of the price. As far as I have had it, the clean stays clean. The reverb is ok, but I run it really low and almost off anyway. The disto on the rhythm and solo channels can get way out of hand... but only if you want it to. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I definetly depend on this amp for two reasons. 1. It is super burly and built tough. 2. I can't afford another one of it's kind even with the great price (hahaha). Anyway the only time I have had problems with the amp is when I set it down a little hard and the springs in the reverb could be heard vibrating in the backround in an odd way for a short amount of time and one time I sat on the amp while playing and heard a small "crack" I do weigh almost 200lbs though so that is understandable. Otherwise I have left this thing in my car in cold weather (don't do that!) and bumped it up against door and stairs and It is still sounding great! Only downside is it weighs 50 lbs, but that's ok for the great tone and power I get. // 8

Overall Impression: I play lots of blues rock, AC/DC, and 70's 80's music and I absolutely love this amp. I have been playing for about 3 years. If it were stolen I would probably buy It again or maybe another Crate with similar sound. Especially for the price you can't go wrong. The only thing I am dissapointed in with this amp is the reverb, it's too springy for me, otherwise great amp. // 8

GT212 Reviewed by: Breakingpoint56, on december 17, 2008

Features: My Crate GT212 was made back in 2005, this amp pretty much does it all, unfortunately as far as volume control goes, it goes from either quiet to kinda loud, which is great because it has power but if you want specific control your out of luck.It has 3 channels and a reverb effect, you have your lead, rythym, and clean. It came with a footswitch making the changes between very clean and accessible. I'm a personal fan of the phaser myself, and it would be cool if this model came with it, but they have another model that's 100 watt and it's got a bunch of effects. Not bad for a solid state amp. // 8

Sound: I play through the Crate with an Epiphone Les Paul with 2 humbuckers of course, so cutting out the noise is quite simple. If you get a little close to it, you get feedback, but you have to hold the guitar right up to it. I play hard rock and alternative. So this amp comes through really well. The lead gives you good tone and has some nice versatility. They have a gain, volume and shape knobs for the lead so you can give it a nice bright lead sound, or a dirtier mid sweep. To control the tones specifically for the lead though, the controls for treble, bass, and mid are with the rhythm controls. Distortion gives you nice crunch and good sustain. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Considering I don't have any other amps, I wouldn't have a backup at a gig. But I trust it, it hasn't failed me yet, and your amps are usually micd at a gig anyways. You don't have to really worry too much about servicing and it comes with a warranty as long as it's not your fault that something fails on it. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 5 years, and I have an Epiphone EJ-200 so this is my only guitar, I used to have a Jackson dinky which was bottom of the line and it played alright through it. But nothing special. You could blame the Jackson for that. I bought this amp because my band director actually bought the same one and I fell in love with. I used to play through a Gorilla 35 watt I think it was lol. That thing was horrid. If your in the market for a nice solid state with some good crunch the Crate will suit your needs, especially if you play rock or even some toned down blues. // 10

GT212 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 17, 2009

Price paid: C$ 375

Purchased from: LA MUSIC

Features: I play a lot of Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, STP and so on and this amp has done everything I could have asked. Rhythm, Clean, Solo channels allow for versitile sounds and easy switching through the foot pedal.It has been on stage with Marshalls, Mesa Boogies, Fenders and held it's own in power and sound.Takes a little experimenting with your sound but once you learn this amp you'll be a happy camper. // 6

Sound: I use a Washburn with doble coil pickups and it is quite nice sounding clean and has the punch in the rhythm channel.It was a little bit difficult to keep this amp quite but it can be done with a little time and just plain getting to know the amp.The distortion has a nice wide range from low to high but a little noisy at the high end of the gain.Clean channel is warm and smooth and stays consistant up to about 7-8 on the volumes(but you will never really need any more than that) // 9

Reliability & Durability: My amp has played over 200 shows and I've never had any problems with it(of course when you do this for a living you treat your gear like it's pocelain )I've never dropped it or smashed it too hard but through 200 shows it is still in great condition and ready to kick the crowd in the face each and every time. // 9

Overall Impression: I have played seriously for 14 years and professionally for 10 and I have to say I'd recommend this amp to anyone, beginner or advanced.It has the stuff to make you sound great in small venues as well as larger halls and clubs. Remember... Most of the time an amp is only as good as the person playing it so if you have problems with noise chances are your technique is a little sloppy and you'll benifit from a little practice. I love my Crate! // 9

GT212 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 18, 2013

Purchased from: Craigslist

Features: Made somewhere between 2002-05, and despite being from Craigslist, it's the cleanest used amp I've ever seen. This amp was going for $160 at a pawnshop and it was beat to hell. The 2x 12" Crate Speakers are made by SLM Electronics, It uses Crate's Flexwave 5 preamp at 120 Watts RMS so it's VERY loud once you start going above 3/10. So far the more volume I dial in the better my tone gets, no extra distortion or digital artifacts from high volume. It's got 3 Channels, Clean, Rhythm and Solo. Clean has it's own 3-Band EQ while Solo and Rhythm share one. The Solo channel has a "Shape" knob that either accentuates the Lows and Highs (mid-scoop) or just the mids. Non-digital reverb! Other stuff: RCA Stereo-to-Mono CD input, Footwitch jacks (I did not get the switch), Extension Speaker Jack (for cabs or other output, the main speakers remain on), FX loop insert jack. // 8

Sound: I'm playing an Epiphone SG Special with stock pickups tuned Drop/Open G#-C and D'Addario strings through a BBE Green Screamer OD pedal. This amp has very few problems with noise or interference, and I have it inches from my desktop PC. When the volume goes up so does the noise, but actually playing the guitar makes it go away. I haven't played around with the clean channel too much, but it sounds good enough to me. Most of the music I play would never utilize the channel in the first place. Probably not going to mention the clean channel at all past here. The Rhythm Channel can go from slightly dirty jazz/blues tone to a good medium-high gain distortion rock tone, it's a bit more bassy than the solo channel so I have to dial the bass back when switching or it can be overwhelming for my taste. The Solo channel is what you want for wicked high-gain distortion tones or distinct solo tones (duh) to make your guitar stand out. It uses the Rhythm 3-Band EQ knobs but it adds a "Shape" knob. Because the Rhythm channel lacks that knob your sound can change dramatically when switching between the two channels. The shape knob can either accentuate your mids or the lows/highs (scoopage) and can change your tone from super-compressed or scooped at 10 or super midsy at 1, 5 more or less makes it do nothing. Both channels sound great on their own, but I always love having a tubescreamer in front, really cleans up the sound well and only makes good tones better. The Reverb knob affects all 3 channels and uses a Spring Reverb chamber mounted at the bottom of the amp, It's analog and that's all that matters, it sounds great. Though it gets to be too much past 5 or 6 on the knob. The stock speakers are no V30s but they do the job well and haven't given me any issues. I've already established that this thing is LOUD, so before you turn it off, turn it down. When you turn it on there is a 1-2s delay before the volume is entirely there and can catch you by surprise or wake people up because the volume was still up. -1 because while the amp is versatile, the solo channel really should have it's own EQ instead of sharing with Rhythm. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's HEAVY. The manual claims 50lbs and I would agree. This was a used amp off of Craigslist and it has one (1) defect on the plastic in front where it may have gotten hit by something. Considering the guy used it regularly this amp is a trooper. I had to leave it in a car overnight last week during MN winter (near-zero temps) and it had a ton of frost on the metal in the morning. I let it warm up, wiped the moisture off and so far it hasn't had a single problem. I have had issues with the CD input however. Sometimes the volume fades in and out which gets old quickly. Sometimes the volume fades and stays that way for a random amount of time. You can crank up the volume on your device but when the volume comes back you're going to regret it. I still use the amp as a music speaker through the input and clean channel with a 3.5mm to 1/4" adapter plug, I just can't play along on guitar through just the amp. -1 for RCA issues. // 9

Overall Impression: For the price I paid this amp was a total steal, it's fairly basic but it does what it's supposed to do very well. It's super solid, super loud and blows any other amp in the price range out of the water. It Retails for $200-300, I don't know if it comes with the footswitch out of the box. For more than I paid, there are probably better amps out there but this one is top dog for $95. My favorite thing about the amp is that it makes my Epiphone and it's stock pickups sound good, and it's only going to sound better when I buy new ones. // 9

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BX15 5.5 Bass Amplifiers 06/17/2014