GT30 Review

manufacturer: Crate date: 02/24/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Crate: GT30
Perfect for jams and smaller venues, the GT30 features features a Clean channel with a three-band EQ and level control, and a Solo channel with our patented FlexWave technology, Gain, Level and Shape control. A Reverb control and a switchable Chorus with Depth and Rate controls are provided for greater flexibility. RCA input jacks allow connection of a CD or tape player for playing along with your favorite music, and the Headphones jack lets you practice in private.
 4.8
 5.2
 4.4
reviews (2) pictures (2) 3 comments vote for this gear:
GT30 Reviewed by: dudey5691, on february 20, 2007

Purchased from: The Guitar Ranch

Features: The amp has two channels: clean and distortion. It also comes with a chorus effect with a rate and depth control, and also reverb. There is one input jack, a footswitch jack, and a plug for an extension speaker. It is 30W solid state with one 8" speaker. I use this amp for practicing, and sometimes gigging. I wouldn't suggest it for larger venues. // 7

Sound: I run an Ibanez GRG170DX and AS73G through this amp with stock pickups in both. I play any type of rock. The distortion on this amp kinda sucks, so I'd suggest getting a distortion pedal. I bought a Boss DS-2 and it suits me nicely. The cleans are not bad, because there is a three-band EQ. The gain and shape controls on the distortion channel have a lot of variety, but are usually muddy, and the high gain on the amp doesn't sound the greatest even with low volume. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I used it at gigs without a backup. But I wouldn't suggest it for gigging without micing it up first. I say this because it breaks up badly after 7 on the level dial. It loses a lot of tone, and doesn't sound good at all. But at low volumes, around 0-6 it doesn't sound bad. Also, my amp hasn't broken down. Everything is in the same condition it was when I bought it. // 8

Overall Impression: This amp is good for rock, and can be good for most any other stuff with the right pedal setup. this was my first large amp, and it makes one hell of a practice amp. I still would not suggest this amp for any large venues for the reasons stated earlier. If it were stolen, I would either buy it again, or save about $20 more and buy a Rocktron used amp for more wattage, and better tone. This is a good practice amp, and if you're ready to upgrade from a small wattage amp this is a good choice. I would not suggest this for gigging, unless it is exclusively for small venues. Overall good practice amp for the price. // 8

GT30 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 24, 2012

Purchased from: pawnshop

Features: Unsure of the year model, real versatile, heavy/death metal, its a 2 channel, but I only use the clean channel with a Zoom effects board with a pre-amp built in, and run several effects with all parameters tweaked to destroy, I use the amp for practice and smaller gigs, it rocks nice, heavy thumbing bottom ends, with metal styles the secret is to just shut the mid off of everything as if it didn't exist, the highs bust with pricing clarity, and the dive bombs sustain for a century. Overall the GT30 is pretty cool, but I'm a Peavey guy and nothing beats a 135 watt 2-12. // 3

Sound: I play, and don't laugh, a pearl river destroyer with a double lock floyd rose trem, ultra noiseless humbucks. With my set up it rocks.the amp really delivers lows thump, take the mid and shut it off, and the highs scorch with ear splitting pleasure. Over all I like the amp. // 2

Reliability & Durability: The amp seems reliable enough, and suits my needs well it really delivers and people laugh when you bring it in and set up, and at the end of the gig people are allays asking what the F. is that amp? It blows minds.seems pretty rugged, I've dropped on the floor, and thought well its over now, plugged it in and thinking the worst, and the little mutha worked like a charm. // 2

Overall Impression: Heavy/death metal, been cranking metal since the mid 70's and hated disco. It seems to be a pretty impressive little amp, with alot of punch, especially when you add external speaker cabs, and use a great effects board with a pre-amp built in it, then you have plenty of juice to light up the hood, gig, or your worst enemy's nightmare. // 5

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BX15 5.5 Bass Amplifiers 06/17/2014