GT3500H Review

manufacturer: Crate date: 08/02/2007 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Crate: GT3500H
The Shockwave includes Crate exclusive FlexWave Evolution 5 tube simulating preamp, sequential cascading gains distortion circuit, low-damped power amp and individual gain, EQ, and level for each of the three channels. As the top-of-the line in the GT Series, it also features an effects loop and spring reverb.
 9.3
 9.3
 9.2
review (1) 11 comments vote for this gear:
GT3500H Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 02, 2007

Features: The features, for what it's built for, are great, especially for a solid state. This amp consists of three main settings: clean, rhythm, and solo. The clean is amazing for an amp built for rock/metal. It's warm, smooth, yet loud if needed (controls include volume, treble, mid, bass, and on the other two channels gain). The rhythm, although I never use it, is good for what it is. For older style rock and various other mild distortions it pulls through. Solo, the setting I'm on 90% of the time, is incredible. I initially tried this amp in the store because I asked what is the loudest, most distorted, thing you have that sounds good, they pointed this thing out and they weren't kidding. After the first note I was hooked and walked out with it. In short the distortion on solo is crushing. The two controls on solo are shape and gain, honestly that all you need. With those two controls you can play '80s metal, nu-metal, modern metal such as Lamb Of God, anything you can imagine you can tweak. Two things I failed to mention is that this amp also has built in reverb of damn good quality and a Switch pedal of good quality. // 9

Sound: I play strictly on my bridge humbucker while on solo and both humbuckers for clean. This being said the sound quality is amazing. The clean comes through loud and true without being ear peircing. The distortion (especially on solo with high gain and shape) is insane. The distortion is sharp and basically punches you in the throat. With the four twelve inch celestion speakers this amp has few issues being precise, loud, and sharp. On top of all of this, this amp is 350 watts as opposed to the common 120 watt head, that's loud. The only reason I did not rate this as a ten is because of an annoying buzz recieved at high volumes on solo mode when not playing. This problem exists not when playing, but as soon as you turn your volume down/off it's evident. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This beast is definately reliable and durable. I've owned it for a year now and it sounds just as good/crisp as the day I bought it. It's heavy duty casing and metal grill allows great protection. This head has taken a few decent falls that frankly scared me white, but it came through without a problem. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall impression is amazing. I've gone through plently of amps including Marshall and Line 6 and this amp crushes most of them. In it's price range it is the loudest, most precise, and most distorted good sounding amp I've found. The sound and volume stacks up against 2-4 grand Marshall and crank heads. My only gripes are small ones like the solo channel buzz and the fact that the power cable is attached directly to the head which prevented me from using a monster cable power chord. // 9

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BX15 5.5 Bass Amplifiers 06/17/2014