GT500H Review

manufacturer: Crate date: 07/27/2009 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Crate: GT500H
Crate GT-500H all tube 50 watt guitar amp. ELX condition, channel switching footswitch included, great clean channel and bleeding overdrive, dual reverb controls.
 Features: 7.5
 6.2
 8.4
reviews (2) 2 comments vote for this gear:
GT500H Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 24, 2004

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: This amp head is very hard to find even on the net. I found it at guitar center and tinkered with it for a bit and bought it for it's range of styles and sounds. It has two channels (clean, crunch) with 2-band equalization on the A channel (clean-high, low) and 3-band equalization on the B channel (crunch-high, mid, low and gain.) Both with independent volumes. Two female jacks in the back for speaker cabs. // 6

Sound: The sound is great for anything really. Nirvana, Nickelback, 3 Doors Down, and some punk stuff goes great with this amp because it's tube powered. The thing is it only cranks out 50 watts which is absolutaly weak for gigging because with my two Crate 4x12 cabs it doesn't really get any louder once you hit 4 on the amp which isnt very loud(but I do use it for recording and band practices with either my 40th anniversery american strat which has a seymore-duncan hotrails in the bridge or my les paul and it sounds sweet). It's got a really nice warm tone when you scoop out the mids and then you can bring em up and play some heavy punk stuff. Basically the sound is so-so. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would say this is an alright amp to use at a small bar, club or birthday party. But nothing huge thats for sure. Unless you've got a lot of pa like my band uses to mic it with cause youre just not gunna get a lot of volume out of it if youre running with a stack or half stack. But it is a sturdy little amp and you really wouldn't need a back up. I take this thing back and forth from my studio to my drummer's or to a gig and it hasn't failed me yet! // 8

Overall Impression: My band plays rock/heavier punk and its an alright match for the money. Between the five of us we own alot of PA. We've got JBL 2x15 towers, powered mackie 2x15 towers, powered mackie 18" subs, Fender 12"s to help with vocals and some monitors. So we really don't even have to have or amps loud for a bunch of people to hear us all which is why I stuck with this amp head. But truthfully if it was stollen I for sure wouldn't get it another one. Good: warm, brutal distortion. Bad: a meesly 50 watts of power with close to no volume. // 6

GT500H Reviewed by: S.F.C, on july 27, 2009

Purchased from: Local Dealer

Features: This amp is really solid. I believe in was made in the 2000s but i'm not to entirely sure. This amp only has two channels, Distortion and Clean, each with there own reverb effect. It has a channel select button in the front, which is nice when you don't have a foot Switch. For the clean channel, it has a volume, tremble and bass knob, which I believe that's all you really need. For the distortion channel, you have your gain, tremble, mid, bass and volume. You have your Input, Insert and Footswitch jacks in the front as well. Then, last but not least for the front, you have your Standby and Power switches. In the back you have your Main and Extention speaker Cabinet jacks, as well as your speaker impedance switch, which runs on 8 or 16 ohms. This amp runs a 50 watt RMS, all Tube. I have almost no complaints about this little amp. The only thing I have a problem with is that you cannot turn off your Reverb with a footswitch and the distortion gets a tad digital sounding when you go past 8. In my Basement where I have my band practices, I can easily play over the drums on 4-5, so I don't worry about going past 8! // 9

Sound: I've play'd a bunch of diffrent guitars through this amp, cheap and high end. To Gibsons with EMG 81s dropped into is to a stock Peavy Nitro, this amp makes them really scream. This is definatly an amp for anything from Blues to 80s Trash. I play mostly Hard Rock and 80's Thrash like Kiss, Metallica, Collective Soul, Chevelle and Nirvana. I've played some Led Zepplin, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd as well and this amp definatly can pull it off. With sound it's defiantly a tube amp! Killer Distortion and nice clear, warm cleans. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Without a doubt, this amp is very reliable. I've had this thing for about 6 months and I haven't had a problem with it yet. I've ran it for 7 hours straight before, none stop playing and all it did was get better sounding! Not a problem with it at all. If this thing ever got stolen or destroyed, I would definatly go find another one! I mean, at the price you can get it for? How can you go wrong? // 10

Overall Impression: This amp, was an all out improvment from playing solid state amps like my Behringer V-amprie (Which was a complete disappointment). I've played this thing right next to my Dad's Marshall JMC2000s and it defiantly held its own! I definatly like this amp and it was a great investiment. If you can find one! I would highly suggest buying it! // 10

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BX15 5.5 Bass Amplifiers 06/17/2014