GT80 Review

manufacturer: Crate date: 10/22/2009 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Crate: GT80
80 watts through an 8 ohm 12" Celestion G12K-85 4 Channels Clean and Distorted with Pre-Amp Tubes, and Clean and Distorted with the Solid State.
 8.9
 8.7
reviews (2) 4 comments vote for this gear:
GT80 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 05, 2004

Purchased from: Winter Sound Music

Features: Okay this amp is pretty rare from what I have seen. This is the only Crate I have seen (of this size) run off of tubes... I have never seen another since I have started looking around about 2 months ago. But I didn't get this new, it looks tobe about five to maybe even fifteen years old, cant tell... Yet this amp is amazing. It can play over a drum set very easily, in my garage at about 2 or 3 on the clean channel, with distortion from a Pro Co Turbo Rat. There are only two channels: clean and distortion(both you can run solid state or tube). Now the clean channel can run soliud state or tube... On solid is is straight clean, on tube you can drive some light overdrive for a little bit grittier sound. The distrtion channel is pretty versitile. You can get just about any distortion from it. On solid state you get a heavier tone, and tube a harsher but clearer tone... Effects: reverb. I use this amp everywhere... // 10

Sound: Excellent sound. It has great tone, solid state ortube, especially tube... // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have only had this amp for about three months so far, but I would guess it would be very durable... The body/shell is made from inch thick (I would guess) wood. Not too much to mess up inside... Somewhat heavy though... // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is one of the most beast amps I have ever played, I have played just about every amp in the music shop I bought this from and, especially for its size, it is one of the best I have seen. I bought it used, only one in the shop, only one I have ever seen... // 10

GT80 Reviewed by: CobainReborn, on october 22, 2009

Features: Unfortunately, I don't know the year this was made. The amp is fairly versatile for the styles of music I play; grunge, and metal. It has a headphone jack, but strangely, when you plug in headphones, the sound comes out of both the headphones and the amp itself. I don't know if it's just my amp because I believe it's fairly old. It has a lead channel and a rhythm channel, and you can change the volume and level of sound from high, medium, and low notes for both settings. It also comes with a solid state/tube knob which can be used with the channel knob. The channel knob can also be used without the solid state/tube knob. You can change if you are using solid state or tube for both the rhythm and lead settings, and how much of each. I wish it had a fuzz feature because a lot of the songs I play use fuzz. I also wish it had wah, but that does not sound very common to me in just an amp and not with pedals. I use this amp for practice, and it is definitely powerful enough; it can be heard throughout the whole house on low. // 10

Sound: I use this amp with simple guitar styles because I'm a n00b and I mainly play grunge, which doesn't use many special techniques beyond hammer-ons, pull-offs, and alternate picking. I use it with just my standard Squier xD with its single coil pickups, ya know. It can be very loud, but also it can be used on a quiet setting as well; it's fairly versatile when it comes to volume. The amp can make sludgy, almost heavy metal sounds with just the channel switch activated, similar to the sounds of Helmet. With the solid state/tube switch, it sounds not quite as heavy; kind of like Nirvana's less distorted songs. However, the amp doesn't seem to work very well past roughly 20 minutes of use; the sound fades in and out, quits, and then gets very loud, and sometimes very quiet. Once again, I don't know if this is just my amp or if they all have that problem. However, scouring the internet, I did find several others with this problem. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can kind of depend on this amp, but not if I were to use it in a gig. I would definitely need a backup if I were to play a gig, because the sound messes up after a little while. The amp has never completely broken down, though it does have problems aforementioned. // 6

Overall Impression: This amp is a very good match for the style of music I play, because it can get heavy enough for metal, and it has a good grunge sound to it as well. I've only been playing for a couple months at this point, and I don't own much other gear except for a worthless mini amp Fender included with my crappy Squier. I don't know if I would buy this again if it were stolen or lost; I would have to do more research for the problem with the audio. // 8

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BV120H 8.1 Guitar Amplifiers 06/24/2013