GTD120 Review

manufacturer: Crate date: 01/30/2009 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Crate: GTD120
The Crate GTD120 Guitar Amplifier combo features the FlexWave solid-state preamp that provides convincing tube-like tone and feel. You get 120W watts of power, 3 channels, 2 x 12" speakers, CD inputs, headphone jack, and DSP effects.
 7.4
 8.9
 5.8
reviews (5) 10 comments vote for this gear:
GTD120 Reviewed by: [[BurnTheDusk]], on april 21, 2008

Features: I'm not adsactly sure of the time this model came out but I know it was quite recently. This amplifier is not at all suiting for my style and was a disapointment as I got into looking at other amplifiers.It sure has many good fetures for a begginer Who doesnt't care about sounding amazing yet though. It has a clean channel, an overdrive channel, and a high gain channel. It also has reverb, chorus, flanging, phasing, slapback delay, short delay, and long delay effects built into it. It comes with a foot Switch that allows you to turn on effecta that you put on the "DSP channel" of each channel. The footswitch also allows switching of channels. The clean and overdrive channels feature bass, midrange, and treble equilization knobs. The high gain channel shares the overdrives eq settings. The highgain by itself has a gain and a "shape" knob. The shape knob is really just a midrange frequency knob with a diffrent name. It fetures no effects loop. But in the back it has an external speaker output and an "insert" input in the back. These would be a reason to buy if all of the features didn't sound how they do. // 8

Sound: I play an Ibanez RG2EX1 through this thing and at lower volumes it sounds great. But it being a solid state and all it begins to sound more annoying then a baby Who just sh*t himself when turned neer 5. I'm scared to turn it up higher. I might cry. I have to use pedals for eveything with this thing. The distortions just not good enough for deathmetal. Maybe some rock but I'm not into stuff that soft. Also the distortion and overdrive get feedback if the gain s even at 5 so obviouly a noise reducer is extreemley recomended. The only great thing really is the clean channel. It doent clip at high volumes and it stays pretty clean. The Dsp effects were deffinately a letdown exept for the reverb. The reverb is DECENT to say the most. The chorus is extreemly cheep and cheesy. The phaser is a flanger and the Flanger is a phaser. No offence to Crate but I'm not getting a Crate any time soon exept maybe a small practice amp for recording. // 3

Reliability & Durability: This amp is actually all in all very reliable. I've never had a problem with it really. I've played 2 shows with this thing and neither time did I need or had even considered bringing a backup amplifier. And trust me this babys not in any structural trouble. I've stood on the thing Live and it held up great. // 10

Overall Impression: I play melodic death metal as well as classical, heavy metal, death metal, and melodic cleans. This amplifier is good as a practice amplifier that's big enough to scare the neighbors or just be turned low to practice without the cops hearing you from a mile away. It doesn't suit my needs as an amplifier due to the way it sounds at high volumes and the features akl sound horrendous. I am selling it and finally getting a new valved amplifier. The only thing I can say overall is it is good for a begginer to playing gigs and practicing with a band. But as a serious musician I am saying stray away from this if you have over a year under your belt even. // 4

GTD120 Reviewed by: almostinnocent, on may 06, 2008

Features: Features- believe this amp was made this year (2008). This amp is very versatile. You can play metal, blues, jazz, rock, country, funk, alternative, or any type of music I didn't just name. It has 3 channels (high-gain, overdrive, and clean) and it has effects which are adjusted using a knob on the amp *Cough* Line 6 *cough* however they are difficult to understand. This amp is very large and can be used for small-medium gigs or for vibrating the house and pissing off neighbors. You can also play quietly. The amp is a solid state. // 8

Sound: Sound-I use it with an Epiphone Les Paul Special 2 (damn I have to upgrade). You do not have to have any sort of distortion pedal ever again if you use the footswitch (I think you have to have the footswitch plugged in.) The amp unfortunately is very noisy and hums loudly if it is turned on past halfway on overdrive and high-gain. But it more than makes up for it because the amps sound is so good on all settings. The clean channel is very clear even at full volume and overdrive and high-gain is the most brutal I can imagine. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Reliability & Durability-This amp is very very heavy but it can take a beating and probably will survive the end of the world. The amp has not and never will break down. I would gig without backup. Nothing can ever break this amp. I will depend on this amp. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall Impression- I play metal and alternative and pop-punk (all time low, Metallica, and smashing pumpkins) and it is a perfect match. I know this amp like the back of my hand after 3 days. The only thing I could wish for is that the hum would go away when playing loudly. I would most likely get this amp again if stolen. I compared this amp to many different marshalls and Line 6's and I choose this amp because the distortion is so great. Wish that it wasn't so confusing when you first get it. // 9

GTD120 Reviewed by: rockernow, on may 22, 2008

Features: I'm pretty sure this amp was made in 2008 and it's low price is because Crate is competing with a competitor. This amp is great for all of the music I play. I play Classic rock, blues, punk, grunge (same guitar style basically). The Overdrive that comes with it is great and can be turned down till you get a fuzz tone and turned all the way up and get more of the grunge/nirvana sound. It sounds great clean also it's just I wish I knew a few more different settings for the eq. It came with the footswitch pedal which is great now that I don't have to reach down and play with the amp. It came with phaser, chorus, and flanger. OH and the high gain is great for like the psychodelic music I play. it's loud to the point were I think I have like delay on when I really don't and it's just echoing off into the distance. It has two 12's and it's a solid state. // 9

Sound: I'm using humbuckers and a strat styled Fernandes which Kurt Cobain played. It gives me the right tones in the right areas for my music. it's really noisy in a garage setting. Well it starts making some fuzzy rining noises when you start to turn it up alot. The distortion is basic enough and good enough for me, I was trying to get a metal kind of sound out of the high gain but it wasn't working out so well I think I'd just better go get a pedal for that. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Its extremely dependent and it's never broken down on me possibly for the reason that I've only had it for about a week or two. // 10

Overall Impression: Well it's good for my style which is loud and noisy, noise rock I guess. I have been playing for about a year and a half and like this amp is a really great improvement against my stupid Squire starter amp. I really can't think of anything I'd rather have other than this amp possibly because my budget was about 300 or 400 dollars. If it was lost or stolen I would probably get this amp again as long as I still had the same amount of finnancial situation. I love the fact that it's really loud with it's two 12's and I hate that it's not a tube amp but it's good for a solid state. I would compare this product to a lot of different tube amps which are really cool but I can't afford them. I wish it had a little more distortion on it's overdrive. // 10

GTD120 Reviewed by: jeffo46, on january 16, 2009

Purchased from: Private User

Features: I contacted Crate and was told that mine was made in April of 2007.so this is fairly recent I guess. It's a 3 channel, 120 watt combo with built in digital effects which are Chorus, Flange, and Delay. It comes with a Metal encased 3 button footswitch and a set of casters which are detachable, which allow for easy transport, seeing as this amp weighs around 50 lbs. It is a solid state combo and does have a CD imput and a Extension speaker imput in the back, not that you'll need it with the amount of power that this baby puts out.This amp is perfect for classic rock and 80's hair metal, which is what I play. // 10

Sound: I am using my 2006 MIM Fender Sunburst Standard Strat with this amp and it seems to blend quite well with it, especially on the clean channel. I do like the effects, especially the Chorus settings but I noticed that there is a slight hum whenever I use them so for now, I just use the reverb until I can get a new DigiTech Chorus to go with this.The clean on this amp, does not break up at all, even at high volumes which is great. The overdrive channel is great for blues or classic rock, while the high gain channel, especially with the use of the shape knob, is just brutal. Crates, IMO, have the best distortion for solid state amps bar none, and are perfect for heavy metal. This amp is no exception and produces a excellent amount of distortion with some searing sustain to accompany it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I just got rid of a 1997 USA made, Crate GX-65 combo which was very durable and saw a lot of use at gigs and didn't need a backup. Crates are built like tanks and are very dependable as far as I'm concerned. I don't see myself having any problems with this one at all what so ever. Plus, I tend to baby my gear, so this will last a long time without any problems at all. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for over 36 years and this amp is the best solid state combo that I have ever played through. I would definately replace it if anything ever happened to it. I feel that Crates are very underrated and that a lot of people tend to knock them without even trying them out, rather they tend to go by hearsay, which kinda sucks. But then again, rumors are like farts, everybodys got one and they all stink. If you have a chance to pick one of these up, go for it. For the price, you won't find a better amp. These are definately better than any of the Marshall MG's or the Fender FM DSP series. // 10

GTD120 Reviewed by: jeffo46, on january 30, 2009

Purchased from: Private User.

Features: I found out through Crate's customer service that mine was made in April 2007. This is my 2nd review for this highly underrated amp. It has 3 channels and is rated at a very powerful 120 watts. It has DSP effects which are Chorus, Flange, Phaser, and Delay, and also features a built in tuner. It comes with a heavy duty 3 button footswitch and a set of detacthable roller casters which make transporting thia amp a whole lot easier considering that it weighs in at 50 lbs. I play classic rock and 80's Hair Metal and this amp is just perfect for this kind of music. // 10

Sound: I am using my 2006 MIM Fender Sunburst Standard Strat with this amp and it seems to be a good mix. The effects and the clean channel, especially the chorus, sound really well together, creating a nice blend of crystal clarity. I'm not too keen about using the effects with either the OD or the distortion channels though. IMO, using the effects on either of these two channels produces a rather muddy tone. I really don't use the OD, although if you're heavily into playing the Blues this will do it for you. I do use the Distortion channel quite often and have found it to be the best distortion that I have ever heard on any type of solid state amp, period! It's very remisniscient of a late 80's Marshall Plexi and is perfect for Heavy Metal. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Crates are built like f--king tanks. they will last you a lifetime providing that you take care of them. I just got rid of a 1997 USA made, GX-65 combo which I used at several gigs and it never gave me any problems at all. None! Considering that this model is not even 2 years old, I don't for see myself having any problems with it what'soever. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Classic Rock and 80's Hair Metal and this amp handles it all. I've been playing for over 36 years and this is the best solid state amp that I have ever played through. I kid you not. It did take me a while to get used to it, but once I did, I realized that I got a great deal for only $200.00. If anything ever happened to this, I would definaately go out and look for another one, no questions asked. This blows away any Marshall MG series or any of the Fender FM DSP series easy. // 9

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BX15 5.5 Bass Amplifiers 06/17/2014